1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Blame the board? Blame Brendan!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 14, 2018.

Discuss Blame the board? Blame Brendan! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm deflecting * all from the board, they deserve any criticism that comes their way.

Brendan was more than happy to give us the sound bites last window about being happy with his recruitment (when we all knew that was horse *), and now he's been out complaining about not getting McGinn? Has he been criticising not getting in defensive targets? Naw.

2. This Charming Man

Felt the need, almost by instinct, to defend Rodgers when I seen this title but there's literally * all to say that can refute your claims. The way the manager has gone about business is a disgrace. Seems we're buying as many fancy strikers and attacking mids who are likely to be sold on at a profit as we can. That said, * the board.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Straight after the game I said * Brendan, and what?

I'm angry. I'm frustrated. I didn't say * off out our club or abuse him..

He set us up negatively to start with and he and the board are responsible for the * we've got at the back and being put out by a very average side..

* them all tonight...every single 1 of them..

4. Sgt Neppers*

IMG_20180814_221349.jpg

Look at how bad the defending is to allow the cross to come in and to take out 6/7 of them in defence. It's brutal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Ronny Deila didnae die for Brendan to make an * of our defence.

6. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Just
    So you are of the opinion Brendan hasn't identified any defenders to sign this window?

7. Mr. Slippyfist

Believe me mate, I'm taking absolutely ZERO pleasure whatsoever from anything I've said in here, but after that catastrophe tonight I can't hold back.

8. Markybhoy

I agree.

Brendan Rodgers is the same as Tony Mowbray in a way - he's an idealist. He has an idea of how football should be played and he won't compromise on it. Even when compromise is very clearly what is needed(away to PSG for example).

Neil Lennon, and I hate to say it, Gordon Strachan both understood that you had to tighten the belt a bit when you stepped up a level and into the Champions League. We would NEVER have beaten Barcelona or Manchester Utd or AC Milan playing the way Brendan Rodgers tries to play in Europe or defending the way Rodgers teams defend.

I love watching attacking football as much as the next man but sometimes common sense has to prevail. Trouble is, I'm not even convinced Brendan Rodgers knows how to set up a team to be defensively solid, even if he did choose to go down that path.

littlekennie likes this.
  9. Mr. Slippyfist

So where are they then? Are you telling me that there wasn't a SINGLE defender identified that could have been brought in?

No * way Jose, he's signed TWO central defenders into his 3rd season here, you telling me he hasn't got a single target that he wanted in that whole time? Hendry WAS a target that he said he identified after watching him, so is Brendan lying?

10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    His first season with us was incredible and there was only two really bad games (7-0 Barca and 1-0 red imps). At the beginning most of us thought a centerback and possibly a right back were needed, and we got the Rightback in Gamboa, but he didn't feel like a proper investment at the time. At the end of the season we again thought "another CB and right back and we're sorted for years". We didn't get that but most accepted he knew what he was doing.

Second season comes along and it's pretty hit and miss, some horrible showings in Europe and an atrocious away loss to hearts but we still win the treble, yet again we look at our defence and think "we just need another CB and right back and nobody will catch us in the league, yet we don't, despite the fact our back-ups (Hendry, Compper and Simunovic) arn't good enough and our so called "best" centerback was stalling on a contract.

I love the guy, and it'll be heartbreaking when he goes, but by * will i not miss his horrendous record in the transfer market. If it wasn't for ntcham and edouard he'd have one of the worst recruitment records in recent years.

littlekennie likes this.
  11. scootz

The accusations against BR are based on evidence - poor previous defensive signings, poor judgement on Boyata, and chasing a Midfielder when that position was the least of our concerns.

What is your evidence for blaming the Board for the situation we find ourselves in? Is it because they didn't dig deep enough to sign a Midfielder that most of us accept we didn't really need, was it because they allowed the manager to break the club transfer record in this very same window, or is it just, erm, 'because thats what we do - blame the Board'!?

Valhalla and Mr. Slippyfist like this.
  12. Mr. Slippyfist

Defended him for the last two seasons after some incredibly shambolic defensive displays in Europe AND domestically.

Time to get the head out of the sand.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

100% boards fault

the players brendan signed weren't signed for the first team, they were prospects not 1st team definate starters we know this by the amount of money we paid for them

cant believe celtic fans are falling for this nonsense, we have continually dropped the ball on getting required experienced good 1st team players in when we needed them for champions league qualification, instead always looking for the cheap option and a case of make do with what we have and hope for the best approach

well this time the boards tight assed sphincters has cost the club and the fans 40m

think this congerton guy was brought in as a sacrificial lamb to the slaughter someone to blame

theres experienced central defenders all over world football that wouldnt have cost a bomb but our board and lawell in infinite wisdom thought we have enough about us even though everyone else involved with celtic knew that wasnt the case

14. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Now your
    Now your taking the conversation in a completely different direction. I asked a simple question and you haven't answered. Are you of the opinion Brendan hasn't identified defenders to sign this summer?

15. Mr. Slippyfist

Not to forget that he has on two occasions (one being successful) converted central midfielders into defenders (Bitton, through need and Ajer) - clearly Rodgers wants people in the back who can pass first, defend second.

Which is shocking. Rule one of football you were taught as a kid, clear yer lines, don't let the ball bounce and use yer * strength to win the ball.

scootz likes this.
  16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    80% the boards fault and I would say 20% Rodgers fault.

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Night and day the investment up top compared to the back like one end of pitch funded on a shoestring other end is millionaires paradise eff
    Effectivly on spent 2 million on the defence commper was a free got to have been

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

18. Cupid Stunt

That's an actual * disgrace.

19. scootz

Where's your proof that he has?

20. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm not deflecting to anything other than the relevant point - I've gave you an example of ONE player he said HE identified and brought in (Hendry), the only other CB he has signed (Compper) is by all accounts a Congerton suggestion, the man Rodgers brought in to head the scouting team.

You're asking a hypothetical question, unless I'm working behind the scenes at Celtic then I have little knowledge, same as yourself suggesting he hasn't got the players he has "identified".