1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedryck Boyata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Boom Stick, May 31, 2015.

Discuss Dedryck Boyata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. technom8t

Fav Celtic Player:
    NAKA
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    BR making a statement. If you arent going to straighten the team you sure as * arent going to weaken it by selling our players.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully see him at some point

[​IMG]

3. oh bhoy

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan talking about him today.

5. Jeffrey

Ridiculous offer we've had to reject because we canny get the finger out. Crying out for CB's for three years. 500k for Moussa then buying boyata for the supposed £9m, would have been rather hilarious.

6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    People are saying reject we need him can't replace..... I'd agree with that if he wanted to stay sign him up keep but and its a big but..... He wants to leave his wee cryptic post nails it for me he ain't signing a new contract if he isn't sold he is running it down to go else where we need to sell now while it's hot or risk losing him for nothing we can cope without him until someone is brought in before window shuts

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

FinnCelt likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers will not sanction the sale of Dedryck Boyata in the current transfer window as he seeks to guide Celtic through the UEFA Champions League qualifiers.

Having lost Patrick Roberts, Erik Sviatchenko and Stuart Armstrong, Celtic have brought in Odsonne Edouard and signed back-up goalkeeper Scott Bain on a permanent deal.

And given the lack of numbers coming in the door, Rodgers is reluctant to let another one out of it regardless of what that might mean in financial terms.

For Rodgers, losing his first choice defender at this juncture of the season would leave Celtic vulnerable as they seek to make it back into the group stages of the Champions League, a prize that comes with an estimated bounty of £30m.

And with the English transfer market closing at 5pm on Thursday evening, Rodgers did not feel confident that he would be in a position to replace Boyata had the defender made the switch to the Premier League.

“You get £10 million for Dedryck, as an example, but where do you then go and get another centre half off that?” said Rodgers. “One who would help you go get through this Champions League qualifying campaign and for the rest of the season.

“It has to make sense in every way and at this moment in time it doesn’t.

“For Dedryck, of course, he is in his last year so in six months’ time he can do a pre-contract with someone if he wants to move.

“My focus is on keeping the squad as strong as we possibly can at this moment. We are down on players.

“I think it’s one of those precarious situations where he is in the last year of his deal, but you also have to weigh up where it’s at and the importance of the competition and the importance of him to our team. Like I say, unless you have a replacement of equal quality, or better, which would be very, very difficult, then of course you can’t lose your best players at this time. It didn’t surprise me that there was interest in him, especially with his last 18 months and then his World Cup, but it shows you that he’s a good player who is rated highly but I will be really happy to keep him here.”

There was a feeling that Fulham were prepared to test Celtic’s resolve by increasing what was believed to be an initial £9m offer up to £12m, but Rodgers remains steadfast that allowing the player to leave the club without being able to replace him isn’t an option.

“It would have to be with a player to come in,” he stressed. “You just couldn’t possibly do that. You couldn’t move on one of your best players like that and not have a replacement to come in.

“There are players in the background, of course, but being so close to Thursday now, it would be very, very difficult to do that. It’s certainly not something I would be advocating.”

How Boyata reacts to that will be interesting, although Rodgers has backed the player to retain his focus.

“Maybe the club will have an agreement on it with him or his agent,” said Rodgers. “But he understands, he knows where it’s at.

“He’s not sitting on a four year contract, he’s in his last year. He’s a guy where it’s big figures we are talking about.

“He’s a sensible guy. He will have his focus back on his football.”

8. Mr. Slippyfist

So Rodgers is prepared to let Boyata go for * all instead of accepting a bid anywhere in the region of a reported £9-12m?

* me.

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

What use is that in the bank when we spend * all anyway. Come in with a real offer for a Belgium CB at peak age. * love we can't be forced to sell players. * them. Come in with £25m like you would for any other Belgium national team CB that performed 10x better than big bad kompany.

Xatraps, Mystic Penguin and Murph-E like this.
  10. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I think what he is saying is, that if he goes its probably bye bye champions league. We should have signed a replacement weeks ago and let him go this window. Crazy from the board again.

11. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm sure I saw somewhere else that he said if Boyata goes we'll need to look elsewhere and replace him.

I'd be absolutely astonished if they weren't already looking at a long list of potential replacements months ago till now in the off chance Boyata left.

Boyata (as much as I like him) getting a transfer fee MORE than Armstrong would be an incredible deal, and if we can't find a replacement for Dedryk with anywhere between £9m-£12m in the bank from his transfer fee then we really should just * give up.

Honestly.

12. joemc

This exactly ,cover all bases which we never do by waiting till the last moments .

13. technom8t

Fav Celtic Player:
    NAKA
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Do we have an option of a further year in boyata's contract. I know we have started putting that option in

14. Jeremie Frimpong

He’s yet to play this season. He probably won’t play a signifant part in these two ties, and both Malmö and Vidi are weaker than AEK on paper.

£12m is a huge amount for us - particularly for a player of limited ability in the final year of his contract.

Keano88 likes this.
  15. Keano88

Totally agree buddy.

We don’t need Boyata to make the group stage. If they come back with £12m then it’s a no brainer, surely.

FinnCelt likes this.
  16. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I don't know why people are so eager to sell because it's 12 million when there's * all chance we'll get anywhere close to spending it.

Aye he's made some bad mistakes here and there but he's easily the best centre back we have and it's not close.

Xatraps likes this.
  17. jvalin

What if we sell Boyata for £12m and replace him with Denayer?:brendy:

18. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I made the point a few days ago that Boyata is more valuable in our team getting us to and participating in the groups of the champ lge. It's not a case of we will/won't qualify with him / without him. But why cripple yourself by removing your best defender with still 2 rounds and hopefully 6 group games ahead.
    Gambling with 9 (or 12) for the sake of the 40+ available. Unless we have at least one, ready made and proven CH lined up, hold Boyata, play him & let him walk for free if it happens.

Boyata is our best central defender.
    Ajer is a work in progress, love him, gets better week on week and I think we've a gem there but he's currently not better than Boyata.
    Jozo could be our best. He has the height, physique and agression. But he's * mental. Again I like him and really want him to do well for us. But he's currently not better than Boyata.
    Lustig has him on experiance. Everything else, pace, power, heading..... Boyata is better.
    As for Hendry & Compper, Hendry has potential and Compper who the * knows but no question.

I understand how our business model works. And I'm no fool, 9-12 for Boyata right now, with a healthy sell on clause is good business on paper. But right now we need to do the business on the pitch. Keep him. Brendan wants him to stay, so let the board kiss this money goodbye & hopefully learn a hard lesson and realise we need transfer deals done quicker.

FinnCelt likes this.
  19. FinnCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Couldn't agree more with Xatraps. Boyata is our best CD, and at the moment we should priorize the field not paperwork. Considering that, the news telling of 12 millions and the player himself wanting to move on sound a bit haunting, though ...

20. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Judging by BR's press conference , selling Boyata is an absolute no no in his eyes. Could not be replaced were his words.
    Would noit suprise me if the board sell him at the last minute of the English window which could be the final straw.

FinnCelt likes this.