1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] John McGinn

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, May 5, 2017.

Discuss John McGinn in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvalin

£3m-£4m means £3m.
    £2.75m is pretty close to £3m.
    Our best offer was £2m.

I don't see why Hibs should have accepted our lowball offers when they believed that they could get about £1m more. Turns out they did the right thing after all.

ynwa1987 likes this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We were told nothing below £3m was acceptable, but £2.7m is acceptable for Villa?

All we’ve done is be proved right that Hibs were taking the * with their valuation for us.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why would they accept £2.75m if McGinn isn’t for sale for anything less than £3m?

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    By who? Whats the source? I wouldnt believe everything you read. Hibs never officially came out and stated that in the media.

If our first offer was low and then the second of £2m was rejected, as reported, then thats completely consistent with how things have transpired.

Theres some kind of conspiracy theory that Hibs were out to get one over on us. Its nonsense. Money is green no matter who the buyer is.

5. jvalin

Cause you say 3-4 in the hope that you 'll manage to get about 3. They got 2.75. Turns out it's close enough for them.

aliceinsound likes this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Or it’s close enough when it’s not us.

Hilarious how highly some think of Petrie on here. The fact they let McGinn go down to Villa for talks before they’ve even bid says it all.

They were playing the * with us because they thought get stupid money from down south. Even Lennon going on about how amazed he is there’s been no more offers for him, in every single interview, shows how desperate Hibs are to punt him to anyone but us.

Artorias likes this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Officially no. But they were leaking our bids as soon as they were made.

You think it was just a coincidence that every news outlet in Scotland was getting the news of the bids being rejected and the values of the bid at the same time, 3 bids in a row?
    They done the exact same * with Allan and the Huns.

Dazzler86 likes this.
  8. Jeremie Frimpong

If his head is that easily turned, he is of no value to us anyway. The argument for spending anything up to £4m on him, rather than a more talented player with a higher ceiling (see Ntcham), was that he would be at Celtic for years to come.

Keano88 likes this.
  9. jvalin

Yet they accepted our offer of 2.75, just like they did with Villa's offer of 2.75.

It seems to me that Lawwell believed we 'd sign McGinn on the cheap cause no English team would jump in. If the English deadline had passed, chances are that Hibs would have accepted our lowball offer. To put it another way, Lawwell decided to take a risk. Unfortunately, the risk didn't pay off.

At the end of the day, our 2m offer wasn't good enough. That's pretty much all (at least imo).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  10. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

:smoke::lager:

11. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    We have matched the bid , and offered the player 23k a week . Up to him now.

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    To be honest, I have no idea why anyone is having a pop at Hibs. Petrie is running the club as he sees fit. He doesn't want to sell to the most successful club in the country. Making us stronger while selling their best player.

It's their perogative They will do us no favours. Why should they? They got a better deal from Villa than our original offers. They played hardball and won.

They owe us nothing. They're sick to the back teeth of us taking their best talent off them over the years. We loan them a player now and again, which they have to pay to some degree for. This isn't you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. They're one of our main competitors for the title.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd be hoping he moves south and congratulate our chief exec for having balls of steel holding out for the right deal for the club when we could've lost him in a few months for nothing.

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN likes this.
  13. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Perhaps Hibs don't care who they sell too just as long as they maximise their own profit.
    If they felt our bids weren't enough, * McGinn out down south because there is stupid money flying about. That either a) gets us to up our own bid and prove we want him or b) some sap in the EPL or championship actually does * a * load of cash their direction.

I'd like McGinn here, I still can't quite decide how much I think he's worth right now. It's also going to be interesting to see what Lenny does with a few extra quid in his pocket. The Edinburgh teams are the danger this year I feel.

14. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    If it's true we have matched Villas offer then it comes down to the player. Championship mediocrity or champions league football.

15. Norm Peterson

I wouldn't say it's that simple Bert, it'll come down to money and potential Premier League football, if he joins Villa. WereW not guaranteed Champions League football every season, and wouldn't be able to compete too much with Villa for wages, even moreso if they get promoted to the EPL.

aliceinsound likes this.
  16. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If it's between us and Aston Villa, and the wages aren't miles apart, he'll choose us. No doubt about that.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Seems like a bit of a charade to force us into action, can’t blame him for taking part to force the move now. If indeed that’s the case.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Time to see how big a tim McGinn is now, bids matched and wages reportedly matched.

Lets see Brendans comments force this board into action cause if not then Lawwell will be in for a proper roasting but I really doubt the * actually gives a *!

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Hopefully it gets done today..

20. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I won't be particularly pleased even if we do end up signing McGinn. In fact, I think if we do sign him now we're getting a bad deal. We're paying way over the odds, especially if we're offering 23k a week in wages.

The reason I'm * off though is because this McGinn deal is symptomatic of our approach towards transfers generally. It's just a complete * up.

rudebhoy67 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.