1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

One Really Good Champions League Campaign

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Babsybhoy1888, Jul 31, 2018.

Discuss One Really Good Champions League Campaign in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Babsybhoy1888

I honestly believe that if Celtic get to the champions league and get the defence sorted, that we could do well especially if we keep Dembele attacking wise we can hurt teams. If we made the last 16 and dare I say the last 8 and the French connection were on top form their value would be sky high, 20m plus and I think top teams would be interested. But I also think that would open up the door to a lot of top young players looking to make a name for themselves interested in coming to the club. If say we sold all three next summer for 70m plus how much would we invest and would Brendan allow it.

2. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    From middle to front we are more than capable of putting in some really good performances, if we could improve the * defence a bit more then i believe we can start putting a better dent into the groups we get.

Im not saying we would be putting the bigger teams to the sword all of a sudden but we could aim for 8-10 points or third place is europe after xmas either way,raises celtics profile ie players wanting to come to us and the players we have also.

3. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    I hate this mentality- that we need to be a 'selling club' and only look at our assets in terms of how much they are going to garner in future transfer fees. I get what you're saying though and, sure, we could do exceptionally well if certain things fall into place.. but getting the defence sorted is a massive ordeal and historically speaking has been a real struggle in Rodgers' teams. Coupled with this reality is the fact that, as it stands, we are not in a position to really make great strides in this tournament with the absurd financial disparities between us and the very top clubs in Europe. I would like to see us make a real formidable effort in the Europa League over the next few seasons and do some damage there, as that is a more feasible task for the club in the current footballing economic climate.

JML67, littlekennie and paulo123 like this.
  4. ynwa1987

I think to be really competitive we need 4 or 5 more quality players. Problem is by the time we get them our best players may have moved on.

For me the players who wouldn’t look out of place in the knock out stages would be Tierney, Brown , Nicham, Forrest , Rogic ,
    Eddy and Dembele . I’m sure others would be capable of raising their game on the night however

paulo123 likes this.
  5. fluffyhamster

I’d add McGregor into that.

6. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

The groups this year are more difficult than ever before, if we get to the groups we’re likely to draw a champion of one of the big 4 leagues in pot 1, then a team who came 2nd/3rd in one of the big 4 leagues in pot 2, then the likes of Lyon,Roma,Schalke in pot 3. Lets be realistic, it would take a miracle for us to get out a group like that. Let’s just focus on making the groups, which would be a fantastic achievement. If we get there the target has to be dropping into the Europa league.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It's all about the defence, at times in the CL we just look so fragile at the back.

8. Babsybhoy1888

I hate the fact of selling as well but at the end of the day that's what we do and we do it well. Rodgers teams have generally struggled defensively but I think if we qualify and the English window is closed there could be a chance to find a good player. I think the europa league is getting harder every year as well, people think it's a far easier competition I don't think that's necessarily the case.

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's also hard to gauge if it's a personnel or tactical problem, maybe both? I know we'd like a new signing of top quality to slot in the back 3 but if we are so open and attacking in our approach it'll be a waste of cash.

We didn't have fantastic defenders when we made the last 16 under Lennon but his team defended solidly as a unit. I think our defenders are good but are left exposed too much at times.

10. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Football is an entertainment , It's about scoring goals in my opinion, managers like Rodgers,Pep and Klopp are a breath of fresh air , too many wannabee Mourinho's in the game bore the life out of football.

11. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

That's all very well domestically, but it results in 7-0's at the Nou Camp and 5-0's at Parkhead. Brendan needs to find his balance, entertain us domestically, but do us proud in Europe - that's all the fanbase really asks for in Europe.

Rodgers needs a good UCL run or two as much as anyone, it's hard with the groups we have had, but it's important for his legacy down the track. His domestic success is up there with the best, on the continent he hasn't had the highs of Strachan, Lennon or MON. Even though we have had a few thumpings, he probably hasn't had the lows either so far either.

12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    The groups we get are fkn hilarious though, it's Barcelona and Milan, PSG and Bayern, teams of that ilk, fkn stupid.

As said if we can compete and not be getting these stupid heavy defeats that maybe at least something.

13. dmccourt95

All we need is to be lucky enough to get thrown into the one group every year where there’s no massive teams and we will have a great chance

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Even with an improvement in defence we’d still receive the odd hammering from one of the top 6-7 sides in Europe. Their squads have a calibre if player not available to us.

15. TimFloyd Gold Member

“Get the defence sorted out” that’s a big if.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm but I just don’t think we do well in games that we are chasing the ball against big teams and it’s like we revert into 8 year olds playing football and just become devoid of any self confidence and tactics go out the window.

I’ll reserve my judgement till we play a couple of handy teams and turn in what can be considered a decent performances.

If we could play In games against the big teams like we did for spells against Bayern away more consistently then I would be happy.

16. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Totally depends on the draw, I mean even if we sorted the defence we could be hit with a group of

R.Madrid
    Napoli
    Liverpool
    Celtic

and stand pretty much no chance. Whereas we could get lucky for once and get

Lokomotiv Moscow
    Basel
    Ludogorets/Salzburg
    Celtic

and stand an excellent chance without another signing let alone if we improved.

17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We won't get that improvement in the defense.:54: Those running the signings are tight-arsed idiots.

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Dropping into Europa is the realistic target but if we aim high and fall short then Europa will come our way regardless

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It's starting to look like CL in terms of quality when you look at some of the teams in it arsenal Chelsea Milan shalke
    Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

20. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

It’s silly to talk about this just now anyway, we’re about to play our 2nd leg of QR2 tonight, so we’re not even halfway through qualifying yet.