1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't know who he is on about specifically as the team seem to have came back fresher, leaner and quicker than any pre season I can think of..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Lilac Wine and PaulM1888 like this.
  2. Jeremie Frimpong

Why would anyone object? His methods clearly work.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR: “It’s only half-time in the contest. We had a solid professional performance away from home early in the season and we'll aim to continue with the good momentum that we built up over the course of this early part of pre-season.”

BR: “We played very well in our first game at home against Standard Liege so we just want to keep that rhythm going.”

BR: “The squad are looking very fit, very strong. There’s still lots of work for us to do but we aim to complete the tie tomorrow.

BR: “We have to respect them, they had a couple of opportunities against us out there so they showed that they do have quality and speed so we have to pay attention to that. We love playing at home and we’ll look to complete the job again in this next leg.”

BR: “Tom won’t feature tomorrow. He’s just back and is working his way back to fitness having been off for a few weeks. We can’t throw him straight into the game so he’s just building up his fitness and resistance. He’ll join the squad again in the coming weeks.”

BR: “The squad’s mentality has evolved. Everything on the pitch is much more stable. We’ve played in lots of big games and dealt reasonably well with those. It’s never going to be easy but I’m reasonably happy with where the squad is at."

BR: “It’s a constant evolution of our work. We’ll always play in a certain style. We play very dynamic, fast and aggressive. We want to score goals but we also want to be very good defensively. That doesn’t change but, of course, the profile of players allows you to adapt.”

BR: “I like to play different systems so that’s important tactically for the team. A lot of the players have been here for a couple of seasons now so they understand that and can adapt accordingly

BR: “We are very specific in terms of what we need in the squad. It’s not a huge overhaul. The players we want to bring in need to have certain qualities that can improve the squad.

BR: “There’s no point in me bringing in players who are just going to pad out the squad. We need quality and that’s something the club are very much aware of and we’ll work hard to get those players in.”

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has appealed for patience as the Parkhead side look to bolster their squad over the coming weeks.

Rodgers has added Odsonne Edouard on a permanent deal this summer as well as goalkeeper Scott Bain but he is also keen on concluding a long-running deal for Hibs midfielder John McGinn.

However, the Celtic manager has stressed that he looking for quality over quantity as he seeks to create a squad ready for the rigours of Champions League football.

“You have to be patient,” said Rodgers. “Every coach or manager wants the player in tomorrow.

“But it’s not my expertise. I can only recommend players, along with our scouting team, who think will improve the team and can be important for us.

“We don’t need an overhaul or complete recycling of players. We have an exciting team and you can see the development.

“But we want to improve the squad by bringing in players who can start and lift the level.

“It’s not padding out the squad with more players.

“That always takes time and I have to respect that and I don’t tend to get frustrated by it. It is what it is.

“We’ve done really well these past few seasons and made it work for us. The squad is in a good place and hopefully we can add to it. That’s for upstairs. I tend to work the football and manage that side. I’ll have an opinion of course but the club work to a model and I work with the players.”

Rodgers has also confirmed that he is set for fresh contract talks with Dedryck Boyata. The Belgian defender is currently on holiday after his third-place finish at the FIFA World Cup in Russia and talks over his long-term future are set to resume upon his return.

"I've always said that once he got into the team, he done very, very well,” said Rodgers.

"He's an experienced player now and his experience at the World Cup will only benefit him.

"He's got a year left, he's a player we'd love to keep, he knows that, but naturally, he's now on holiday, he'll be relaxing and we'll pick that up when he gets back.

"He needs to rest and recover but we'll speak when he gets back."

Meanwhile, Kieran Tierney remains at the centre of speculation over his future. The Scotland internationalist was a target for Everton who have since turned their attention elsewhere but Italian giants Juventus are the latest club to be linked with the full-back.

Manchester United have also scouted the player but Celtic are reported to have a £30m pricetag on the player who signed a significant contract extension with the club last October.

In terms of this evening’s second leg UEFA qualifier against Alashkert, Craig Gordon is set to return between the sticks following a minor wrist injury.

"He's fine and back in the squad,” said Rodgers before adding that the game comes too quickly for Australian internationalist Tom Rogic.

“It's too soon for him and Christian Gamboa who have come back in last Thursday,” said the Celtic manager.

"They'll still be finding their way over these next few weeks. With Christian he played well in the games so I'm sure there will be interest in him."

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Gamboa offski then.

neilly1987 and Callum McGregor like this.
  7. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I’d still like to keep Gamboa as a different option.

neilly1987 and celticfan01 like this.
  8. highheidyin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG
    Agree - he hasnt really had a chance to impress

neilly1987 likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR: "I’m really proud of the team. We had the advantage coming into the game and we strengthened that, but it’s still a challenge to play that long with 10 men and the players coped with that very well.

BR on the overall performance: “I thought it was very good. When we had 11 men, I thought we looked really bright going forward, the speed of our game was good and we looked a real threat.

BR: “We took the lead and very soon after that we lost a man. In our defensive organisation, we were very calm, organised and pressed at the right moments. We dominated the game, considering we had 10 men, so I’m really proud of the team."

BR on the sending off: "I think it’s one of those ones in European football, always difficult when your foot is that high. Thought the referee could have kept him on the pitch and gave him a warning as I don’t think it’s intentional.

BR: "The ball has popped back at him (Jozo Simunovic) quickly and he’s just obviously raised his boot which caught the player. I think it was actually the same player who elbowed @kierantierney1 in the face.

BR: "It was one of those things we had to deal with it. Thankfully the players anticipate these situations and know how to cope with it, and they did that very well."

BR on injury to @MDembele_10: "He was tight in the back of his leg & we just need to assess it tomorrow & over the next couple of days. He’s as fit as he’s been since I’ve been here, at this stage of the season, so we’re hoping it’s just tightness and he’ll be ok.”

BR on facing Rosenborg again in the 2nd #UCL qualifying round: “They were two tight games the last time we played. They’ll come here and I’m sure they’ll be nice and compact like they did last year, very tight lines and we’ll have to be patient in that game."

BR: "It’ll be a tough game out there. But it’s a tie we look forward to. Whoever you get at this stage of the season, you have to respect who you play, and we’ll be another week forward in our fitness.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS has hailed Celtic’s French connection.

Moussa Dembele, Odsonne Edouard and Olivier Ntcham have started the season brilliantly.

And Rodgers reckons it has opened the door for other rising talents to sign for the Hoops in future.

He said: “If you are on the outside looking in, I think you see Celtic as a great club for that.

“They may not be here for a long period of time, but they come in and they learn to love the club. They also see that they are improving.

“Moussa came in for a purpose and that was to get better, to improve and play at a big club to win trophies. He has done that.

“Olivier is the same. He has come in to improve and he is a terrific talent.

“Odsonne had his year on loan. We have a good relationship with PSG and us bringing him here strengthens that relationship but, more importantly, it gives us top-class talent.

“If you are looking in from France, you see Celtic is a good option for you.”

Breaking into the French national team is now tougher than ever for the nation’s young players following their World Cup success in Russia.

Rodgers added: “If you look at their Under-21s, it’s a very special team too.

“Moussa and Ollie have been in that and have really featured and I am sure Odsonne will come into the reckoning in future also.

“They have a platform with very good players and it is definitely a market that all teams will always look at.

“They have two decades of big talent and some of the boys there are blessed with great physical qualities, but it is also based around a great level of technique.

“You go away to Clairefontaine and 1998 when it started for them. That was Gerard Houllier when he was technical   director, putting a lot of things in place. We have been lucky in Britain to have seen a lot of these talents.

“Is there a path to the French first team for our players? One day I think that will be their aim.

“There are some very talented French boys around, but they only need to look at the regard in which they are held.

“You look at Moussa and Ollie and you heard recently Odsonne’s Under-17 coach felt he was more highly regarded than Kylian Mbappe. That’s the esteem he is held in.

“He had a loan that didn’t quite work out for him, but he is right back on it.

“There will be a pathway for those players, I’m sure.”

Rodgers’ problem at Celtic has been squeezing Edouard and Dembele into the same starting line-up, but he has found a way to do that this season with a new 3-2-3-2 system which is working wonders.

He said: “When you have that level of quality, you try to find ways to put it in.

“It’s never easy, because you have to pick the best team and not just the best players.

“But when you have real top players like that, you want to find a way that can make it work.

“But you always have to be within a balance. That’s important.

“They played, but not necessarily together. Odsonne can play off the left side, so he played in a different space really.

“But it’s very promising and I think we’ve got other players who can come into that as well.

“They are different types. People have talked about it since I’ve been here, about playing two up front, but it’s about having the right profiles.

“Odsonne is a link player who can make a lot of it work up there because he’s different to Moussa and Leigh Griffiths. Leigh is a fantastic, out-and-out scorer.

“Moussa, as you’ve seen over the last couple of years, has other qualities but wants to score goals.

“Odsonne wants to get goals, but he’s a player who can come in underneath and link the game very well.

“I was really pleased with the weekend because we’d been looking at different things over the course of pre-season.

“But it was fairly slick and the shape morphed really well.

“It gives us lots of attacking options and a lot of speed in our game.”

The form of Edouard has seen Dembele raise his game too.

Rodgers added: “He’s come back fit, he’s come back strong, and he’s come back leaner and lighter.

“He’s had a good rest too.

“I also think he respects the talent that Odsonne is and how they complement each other.

“Their movement patterns aren’t necessarily the same, they work in different spaces, but he respects he’s got someone there who is a really good player also.

“It’s the cohesion that pleases us all really. Each part of the team functions quite well.”

One thing Rodgers doesn’t have to deal with is any off-field issues.

He said: “They are very close, the French boys. They are fantastic.

“For young guys, I have never had a problem with any of them. They all behave themselves.

“Their first love is football. They love football and they come in to work hard every day.

“With the French lads — and Eboue Kouassi is in there too — their love of football is clear.

“They go out, but they are not over-exuberant in what they do and they are super-professional. They come in and do the work and they want to learn.

“They are a real joy to work with.”

neilly1987 and binlardas67 like this.
  12. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Feel for Gamboa, never really given a chance, albeit he did have a stinker against Barcelona but the whole team was gash that day. Then suddenly he fell down the pecking order even behind Ralston at one point and now behind Hendry who's naturally a centre back. Even after a good showing again at a World Cup, Brendan does not fancy him for whatever reason.

But thats the thing, if Brendan does not fancy him, then he might as well go. Wish him all the best whilst we look forward to Brendan bringing in someone he does trust.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Touché

14. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    When did we sign the 'Turtle??:34:

15. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Read a headline on CQN of Rodgers calling ajer his tiger, jesus no, though the article didn't have that actual quote

16. oh bhoy

17. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Nothing imminent according to BR regarding incoming transfers.

18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Scott Allan
    Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

19. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Has he said anything specifically about looking at additions for improving the defence?

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He has no future here anyway..