1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad changes for next season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, May 2, 2018.

Discuss Squad changes for next season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Murph-E

Think Simunovic's time is totally up. Rodgers clearly gone off him, too many blunders and blasé attitude.

2. KG-Henrik

Tbh I expect them all to stay. Unless some very good replacements are brought in first. Too many fringe players that need to be sold before any of the above mentioned and I just can’t see us getting rid of more that 5-6players.

3. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Hope our scouts are doing their jobs and get us a young quality right back in the tierney mould , who can tackle, defend and fly forward too it would make such as difference and Lustig would be still a good squad player to have, something like Ntcham outlay possibly from City or PSG(Eduoard).

4. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    I would sell: Bitton, Armstrong, DDV, Cifti, Allan, Sviatchenko, Gamboa

Hope to keep: Dembele(long shot) Roberts Edouard and Rogic

Give game time to: Christie, Morgan

I would like to see a first choice RB come in with Lustig backup, a decent fee on the best CB we can afford and maybe Mcginn to replace Bitton & Armstrong.

Hopefully we can get deals over the line for Edouard and Roberts(unlikely) but with Dembele's inevitable departure we could have serious funds to spend.

Above all though Tam Rogic must sign a new contract, we simply cannot replace that quality.

StainseyBhoy likes this.
  5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If they haven’t signed a new deal come mid August I would expect them all to leave tbh we wouldn’t run risk of that amount of talent walking out door for free

6. Heb Celt

Keeping Rogic,Roberts and Dembele would be a success in itself,even 2 of the 3
    Wouldn't be so bad.

7. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Only players I would put up for sale.

N. Ciftci
    S. Allan
    N. Bitton (don't think he fits with our playing style under Rodgers, been a good servant to the club but I would move him on and free up his wage bill)
    C. Gamboa
    J. Simunovic (like him too, but has looked dodgy recently, since Anderlecht away, might get half decent £££ for him though)
    D. de Vries

I'd punt Compper too unless he gets fit and proves himself next season.

Apart form that we have a half decent core to the squad.

8. freitassen

One thing: we certainly dont need squad players, future prospects, whatever. We have an extremely young squad already and guys good enough for being backups coming from the academy. I am fine if we bring one guy and nothing else, as long as this guy can put a jersey and improve the team immediately.

Regardless of them being good or not, we dont need more guys like Hayes, Morgan (I would honestly loan him again. I think he is good but still needs development that will be better served being the star of another team), Hendry (it's quite early to judge him, but having to throw this guy immediately to the first team is only a testemonial of how weak the defence is) etc. If it's to sign more squad players, regardless of position, i would rather we keep the money for later.

Ghotti Bhoy and Peej like this.
  9. freitassen

About Compper, this situation is disappointing but totally not surprising. There were people here talking about how horrible his injury record was long before he was signed. He played a lot for Red Bull but a good number (if not most) of these appearances were in the lower leagues, and as the team started to rise he played less and less. It's precisely why i don't want squad players, even if eventually someday he plays football for us we still need two CBs to improve the team and his signing was nothing more than throwing money away.

10. freitassen

It quite makes sense but the only of those we can get some money for is Jozo. Maybe Bitton, but even so it would be not much. The others will probably have to leave for nothing

11. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    A right back , two decent central defenders and depending who moves on in the summer another quality striker .

12. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Yeah I agree, but each of them would free up a slot on the wage bill, whilst still leaving the squad with 'depth'

freitassen likes this.
  13. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    It should always be the case but this is a real quality over quantity window.

Despite some thought to the contrary we’re not going bust any time soon, but our squad is bloated there’s no denying it. Kouassie, Benyu, Simunovic, Christie, Allan and more aren’t deemed good enough for our team yet most are takin up wages. More than 10 players could be sold or loaned out this summer.

One really good player, similar in talent and experience to Ntcham, at GK, Centre back and RB will be sufficient in my opinion. Money guarantees nothing but I think at least 4 million should be spent on each key position.
    A striker depending on whether we sign Edo and lose Moussa. And I’d like experienced cover for Tierney, but wouldn’t be against giving another youngster the chance to step up as he did.

No matter our financial muscle, we shouldn’t ignore Lennoxtown. At least one player every season should be getting properly blooded. Johnson, Aitchison, Ralston, even mini Dembele - I want someone to play at least a few games next year.

Jordan MacGregor likes this.
  14. Dylan1996 Gold Member Brigade Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    don't know where i'd ask this but it's not worth its own thread on its own, but did the paradise windfall no used to be 15k? as opposed to 10

15. shaunm

Need to improve the defence

16. MikeyBhoy89 Stranger In Paradise

Fav Celtic Player:
    Varga
    Fav Celtic Song:
    o
    If we sell Dembele and don’t do a deal for Edouard what’s the types of names we’d be looking at as another striker ?

Have a feeling we would do a similar move like Dembele was, relatively unknown young striker

17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Where we at next season ?

Bain
    Gordon - Away
    De Vries - Away
    Toljan - Away
    Lustig - Away
    Gamboa - Away
    Ralston
    Commper - Away
    Ajer
    Simunovic- Away
    Boyata - Away
    Benkovic - Away
    Hendry
    Tierney
    Izaguirre - Away
    McGregor
    Brown
    Bitton - Away
    Christie
    Ntcham
    Kouassi
    Rogic
    Mulumbu - Away
    Sinclair - Away
    Arzani
    Hayes
    Forrest
    Shved
    Johnstone
    Morgan
    Allan - Away
    Bayo
    Edouard
    Griffiths
    Burke - Away
    Weah - Away

Personal opinions on a few players obviously.

Would leave us -

GK - Bain

RB - Ralston
    CB - Ajer, Hendry
    LB - Tierney

CM - Brown, McGregor, Bitton, Christie, Kouassi, Ntcham, Rogic

LW/RW - Hayes, Forrest, Shved, Morgan, Johnstone, Arzani

ST - Edouard, Bayo, Griffiths

Would be looking at McInroy, Oko-Flex being used as subs. Any other youths ready to step up ?

Looking at that, I hope we go out and sign

GK
    RB
    2 x CB
    LB

Would also be looking at a number 10, but that would be behind the other positions in terms of necessity.

18. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic

i think lustig will be kept
    so will Gordon
    for the good of his career Hendry has to look to be moving on

hard to judge whats going to happen as we arent sure of the gaffer situation yet

63bruce likes this.
  19. Keano88

Massive window. The lack of forward planning from Rodgers was shocking.

Bain, Gordon, Doohan
    Tierney, Hayes, Church
    ????, Ralston, Perez (if he’s back)
    Ajer, ????, ????, Jozo, Welsh

Hopefully there’s something in the rumours that we’re in for Gumny and Edson Alvarez.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    For me i'd be wanting to play 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 given our players. It suits Ajer, Tierney, Forrest, Brown, McGregor, Christie, Rogic and could suit Edouard if we bring in another striker who are all our best players.

Bain
    ______ Ajer ______
    Brown
    Forrest McGregor Christie Tierney
    Rogic
    Edouard

Gordon
    Ralston Lustig Bitton Simunovic Izaguirre
    ______
    ______ Eboue Henderson Hayes
    Arzani Shved Johnston
    Griffiths Bayo
    I'd sell Compper, Gamboa, Ntcham and Sinclair and loan out Hendry, Morgan and Mulumbu.

Try and keep both Weah and Burke on loan again.

Main priority would be 2 centre-backs, a right-back and a defensive midfielder - one who is actually solid as Brown will be older again and neither Bitton, Ntcham, Eboue, McGregor or Christie are that clever at defending we need a proper sitting player there especially for Europe.

Striker isn't that improtant especially if we keep Weah or Burke or both but if we keep none of them i'd want a strong striker capable of holding the ball up.

I wouldn't sign Toljan, he started ok but he's too soft defensively.

Lustig for me has to be kept until January, i'd also keep Bitton - I prefer Lustig and Bitton at centre-half to Jozo but even Jozo has to be kept until January as we can't really sell centre-backs given we barely have any to get us through the qualifiers and in recent seasons half them seem to be injured at this time as well so we've no room to play with at the back.