1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Xavier Woods, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I said a few weeks back that he'd struggle to get back in the team.

But I feel we really have missed his runs from the middle to front and the goals that comes from him.

This game is too soon for him though...could come off the bench.

2. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    hahaha. Doh!!!!

Aye but if we play well 10 players should do the trick.

Eh...........put Rogic in there in ahead of McGregor.

What a *. There's a reason Im not a fitbaw manager.

green-yin likes this.
  3. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Your barely a functioning human being :67:

4. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's huge to get a player of Stu's quality back for the run in, add in Roberts as well and we should start to pull away now

5. TheHappyLoss

Just worry hugely about Dorus, doesn't remotely even look like a footballer let alone a good one. Hopefully all will be well

6. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Meeeaooow..........nasty

7. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

We've missed his running power - no doubt about it. Technically not the tidiest player we have, especially when you compare him to Rogic, McGregor or Ntcham. But the way he breaks into space and runs beyond strikers gives the opposition something else to think about from central areas. Recently it feels like all we do is pass the ball about in front of teams hoping to wear them down/bore them into a lapse in concentration.

The closest we've seen to that was when Edouard played. The first half against Hearts and when he came on against Morton, he got around Dembele, made runs off him and caused real problems.

Tomorrow probably is too soon for Armstrong, but having that option is brilliant in the run-in. Especially when you consider we also have Roberts and Griffiths to come back in, as well as Rogic working his way back to full fitness.

Artorias likes this.
  8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I would imagine he will be on the bench tomorrow and not on from the start but assuming he is fully recovered from his injury we will hopefully be seeing the Armstrong of last season for the run in and that would be huge as he gives us a real goal threat from midfield with his excellent runs from deep and his all round dynamic play in midfield is so important for us.

9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Hopefully we won’t see him tomorrow. I worry that he’ll be more interested in impressing suitors than helping the team

Jeremie Frimpong and HailHoopy like this.
  10. HailHoopy

Agreed!

I think his head has been somewhere else for a while now. He'd probably have been off if somebody would've came in for him.

Gabriel likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    His return to form last season was amazing but he's starting to give me the fear again and I think Ntcham has to be our first choice in that position now. Brendan loves the guy to bits though so I wouldn't be surprised if we did see him. I hope we're 5 0 up by that stage. I'm not slating the guy, it's just he seems to have lost his form, a bit like Sinclair but Sincy can still be dangerous when he's playing * cause it just takes one burst of energy from him going into the box and he's always capable of scoring so I don't mind Brendan leaving him on even when he looks like it's just not going to happen cause with him it always can.
    An on form Sinclair would destroy the huns defence and with Forrest on form on the other side that would be a sight to see. Wouldn't mind seeing Roberts if we're winning, he's like Rogic with the creative dimension he can bring, definitely one of our game changers.
    Can always rely on Broony and as long as Ntcham is having a good game if we control midfield it's usually a deciding factor in any game.
    We really need to start looking for a replacement for Broony, he's the only player if injured I fear the worst cause it's not just his strength of mind, it's the bursts from midfield and his long balls are incredible. He knows how to control a game.

13. Cofi#12-CFC1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown, Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
    Nice to see him, we missed his energy and goals. He looked a bit rusty, but he did a decent dig for that short amount of time.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Stuart Armstrong is different. His five-minute appearance from the bench in the 3-2 win at Ibrox was his first since an operation on a troublesome hernia in January.

Having signed a one-year extension in August following protracted negotiations, Armstrong is again in the situation he was when discussions began on a new deal this time last year. Yet, because of his limited impact in this campaign, there has been little hoopla about the possibility of him running down his contract – which Celtic seek to avoid as it risks losing players for a fraction of their worth. Tom Rogic and Dedryck Boyata are in similar situations, but Rodgers appears sanguine about the potential for player turnover created by players entering the final 12 months of their deals.

“Time goes quick doesn’t it?” said the Celtic manager. “I have talked to Stuart briefly on it. I just want to help Stuart become the best player he can be. He knows what he has here, He knows the opportunity he has here and I know he respects that.

“So I don’t tend to get bogged down too much with that. I have a strong relationship with him. I know what he thinks and we will just look to continue developing him.

“I tend not to worry about that [final year of the contract juncture]. When I was younger I used to think it was personal, but it’s football. Players have short careers; of course, I’d love them to stay here but there are numerous reasons – on both sides as there could be issues with the club as well – that doesn’t allow them to sign.”

15. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Rodgers is well aware of the risk of letting Armstrong hit the final year of his deal.

But he said: “Players are within their rights, if they feel the deal or the offer is not right or just purely if they don’t want to sign.

“But it’s two ways. If it’s not right for both parties then it’s not going to happen.

“Some are happy to see out their career at Celtic, playing for trophies.

“They will play 500 or 600 games – Callum McGregor, someone like that.

“You’ll get players who will see this as a two or three-year project, an opportunity to play for a huge club, be a winner then move on.

“Then you have others who think they want to stay and then they get a big offer and go. The club then tries to get maximum value.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Still don’t understand his contract extension length.. he could have still went if he had signed for longer..

It’s backfired on him as he’s not played enough to get that dream move to the EPL he was after..

He needs to pen a 3yr deal with clauses inserted that’s suit the club and or we should punt in the summer..

Maybe punt him, new deal or not.

Gabriel likes this.
  17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Punt him in the summer.

Gabriel and JC Anton like this.
  18. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Definitely punt in the summer, Ntcham has took his place and I don't think he is committed to the club.
    If he doesn't want to be here then cheerio, we'll bring someone else that does.

19. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Punt. You need more than five good months to be considered a successful Celtic player.

Having a good attitude helps for starters, and just because he runs around all day doesn’t mean he has one.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He clearly still wants away..

Bye..