1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Strachan last 16

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Metrobhoy, Feb 4, 2018.

Discuss Strachan last 16 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Will we see another Celtic team that competes in Europe like Strachan's did achieving the last 16 twice? Neil Lennon got there but his Celtic management career was cut short of course and I do think he'll return some day. It's a huge achievement which I don't think will be bettered in my time.

If we're gonna do it, how, who or where do we go?

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  2. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Starting to think it won’t happen again to be honest. These first two seasons could be seen as a rebuilding job but if further humpings await us next season then I won’t hold my breath

3. Henke.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Murdoch, Henke, Jinky, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This is how it feels to be Celtic
    And a lot of the Celtic support flagged Strachan off and wanted him replaced.

Rendog likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The gap between Celtic and the big boys now is incomparable to that of Strachan’s time. So it would be a far greater feat to achieve just now.

That being said, you get to the Champions League and it’s achievable depending on the luck of the draw I.e. not getting City, Bayern, PSG, Barca...

Overkill187, Sean Daleer and ChrisMoh like this.
  5. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I'm not convinced the gap is there in terms of teams and players but we have been extremely unlucky in the draws of late.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It is an undisputable fact that the financial chasm is ever growing so you don’t need to be convinced for it to be the reality.

7. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Some people look at money and how players are valued. That's fair.

In my time I watched Neil Lennon beat what I'd say was a team up there with Baresi, Maldini and Van Basten. I don't give a * what that Barca team were valued at!

littlekennie and ChrisMoh like this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Again, it doesn’t matter whether you give a damm or not.

It was easier for Strachan to reach the last 16 of the Champions League than it would be for any Celtic manager just now. The game has changed at the top end and that has filtered down to us.

We can’t compete with 2nd tier English clubs for players now, we are having to be creative everywhere else to try and stop the gap growing. We even have a tougher time just getting a ticket to the big table from next season.

Sean Daleer, StPauli1916 and The IRA like this.
  9. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    If we get a good draw maybe but nowadays we find ourselves usually up against at least two amazing teams from pot 1 and 2, potentially three if we were to get a really bad draw where as Strachan and Lennon only had to deal with one big team whether that was Barca, Man U or Milan and then other teams that were beatable. Under Rodgers we've had teams that feature in the last 16 nearly every year and are contenders for winning the thing so to beat one of them to 2nd spot is extremely difficult.

10. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Yeah i cant see it being honest, we are almost certain to get 2 solid teams if we even qualify for the group stages, and there's a chance the third seed is miles better than us. Issue is Strach new how to play the big teams, wasnt pretty but it was effective, and as much as i love Rodgers he just seems to stick to his principles and wants to play his way which is admirable but its not gonna do us any favours in terms of results.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Rodgers will deliver it next season, draw permitting..

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's not outwith the realms of possibility. A decent draw and punching above our weight could see it happen.

Overkill187 likes this.
  13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Of course we will. It's not an unrealistic aim for our club regardless the spending of other sides. Just need to be more savvy around other sides in the CL.

14. joemc

Would have to adopt the same policy as both those managers in europe ,and its no surprise that stopping teams playing got us our best results in cl .

15. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    No way with Rodgers approach to the top teams

16. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    it was impressive what strachan achieved.mcmanus,naylor,caldwell in defence.

17. ladbroke8

It just felt different back then. Like a real fortress. Other teams didn't have too many chances. We are so slack in these games now it's unreal. Same sincejuve under Lennon. Most times we assist an away goal.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Very optimistic prediction.

I've not seen much from our European exploits to suggest that will be the case.

Rodgers isn't willing to sacrifice his principles (rightly or wrongly) and unfortunately the gap between us and the European heavyweights is now far too big to bridge without a large dollop of pragmatism.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Nah. The champions leagues about money for us. Actual good games we can enjoy are the europa league. The way the draws set now nearly always leaves us with 2 potential cup winners. So continued humpings for the foreseeable future.

20. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    We now have to play 8 games simply to get into the group stages, and also start our league a few weeks before Euorpe’s elite, leaving our players doubly disadvantaged as they are knackered by the time they face 100 million pound and 200k a week superstars. Sadly we can forget about the champions league. Celtic’s level, and that of similar ‘big fish small pond’ teams like Ajax, from now on is the Europa League.

Deila’s Woefulness and Rodgers’ lack of pragmatism has also killed the Parkhead Fortress notion.