1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Wildlife Sightings!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by cidermaster, May 22, 2014.

Discuss Your Wildlife Sightings! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Out Drinking with your mate Sam Torrance again:84:

bagforlife likes this.
  2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yesterday several Brambling called as they flew over my local patch,a lovely jeeeeeze call,a cool atmosphere always when i hear them and a big sign that Autumn rules,also yesterday and today small numbers of Redwing flew over my local patch.Also yesterday a late Dragonfly hunted,also a mini Ladybird invasion,cool.

bagforlife and johnboy19 like this.
  3. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    8 Fieldfare flew over my local patch this morning with their cool call,also seen today a kestrel,a Sparrowhawk and a Red Admiral butterfly.

johnboy19 likes this.
  4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I flushed a Woodcock at close quarters in my local woods this morning with Ruby Boxer.

johnboy19 likes this.
  5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yesterday on a burn not too far from my house i once again saw a Kingfisher,a really good mate of mine who was with me saw one for the first time much to his utter delight.I also snatched a view of a Water Rail.

bagforlife likes this.
  6. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Superb mate. I'd heard a Waterail many times before actually seeing one. My daughter and I could hardly keep quiet, we were that excited. Stunning birds. We seen it the same day we saw a Pectoral Sandpiper and an American Blue Teal. WHAT a day that was. We've been back to Frankfield Loch, where we seen them, many times, but never had a special day like that one.

cidermaster likes this.
  7. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    I was at Daldowie Crematorium yesterday at a funeral. A man sitting a few rows in front of me had a Spiders Web from his right ear to his right shoulder. There was a small Spider building a web. He never flinched once. I don't think he knew much about it. My daughter and I could see it glistening in the sunlight. I've never saw anything like that in my life.

jamesfr, bagforlife and cidermaster like this.
  8. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    While taking cover from a heavy shower mid morning today under some Yew trees i noticed a couple of dozen or so Redwing were also taking cover,one was just a few feet away from me,stunning is the word:84:

bagforlife and johnboy19 like this.
  9. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Saw a couple of ducks white and black on the canal at dalmuir they stood out amongst the usual coloured ducks

cidermaster likes this.
  10. Sporting CP Bhoy

As I live outside of Scotland, I run into different wildlife, while out walking my dogs recently, I ran into a coyote, they're very common where I live, best course of action is to yell, act aggressively and scare them off so they know they're not welcome around people. I've had many run ins with them, crafty * they are. I once had one come up to me near the Hollywood sign in L.A. it wanted a handout, he was a nice fella.

[​IMG]

cidermaster and bagforlife like this.
  11. Sporting CP Bhoy

Also, where I live in the U.S. we have grey squirrels (I see them constantly), and when I travel to Portugal, I see red squirrels (thankfully they have repopulated Portugal after being extinct there for centuries). I've read that the North American grey squirrel is an invasive species in the UK, and is putting pressure on the indigenous European red squirrels. I'm guessing they've expanded in Scotland?

[​IMG]

Edit- answered my question on grey squirrel expansion....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:

Sporting CP Bhoy and bagforlife like this.
  13. Sporting CP Bhoy

Thanks, I've never learned so much about squirrels, as I have today. All due to this thread, lol.

cidermaster and Luis1967 like this.
  14. Sporting CP Bhoy

We've got a lot of raccoons around here too!

image.jpg

cidermaster likes this.
  15. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Cheers good pal,yes the Grey Squirrel should never have been introduced to our shores,it was a quite stupid idea,just as it was to introduce the Canada Goose and various Deer species among others.All this are fine species where they come from but cause problems here.
    Where i stay in the Scottish Highlands is ultra cool because only Red Squirrels are found and they are thriving.Also the cool Pine Martin eats a lot of Grey Squirrels so in areas where both species are found the Greys are pegged bag.This is good news as the Pine Martin is once again doing well in large areas of Scotland,they find the Red Squirrel very hard to catch as they have evolved together.

bagforlife and Sporting CP Bhoy like this.
  16. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    On my local burn today a cool female Goosander was busy fishing right under the footbridge me and Ruby Boxer were watching from.It is pretty good news for a decade ago this burn was not very clean,but now it is very clean with Kingfisher and Brown Trout to be found:84:

bagforlife and Sporting CP Bhoy like this.
  17. Sporting CP Bhoy

Glad to hear the Red Squirrels are thriving in the Highlands, after all, it's their natural domain! Was reading about the Pine Martin/Red Squirrel relationship and it makes total sense how the more ground dwelling Grey Squirrels are easy pickings for the martins. Where I live in the U.S. the ubiquitous Grey Squirrels are preyed upon by coyotes, foxes and red-tailed hawks, and they're the most common roadkill to be found. I have a small patch of woodland behind my house and there are quite a few fairly docile grey squirrels and Eastern Cottontail rabbits which hangout by my back deck, they're super appreciative of when I toss them some bread, especially now, as they're foraging in anticipation of the coming winter. Where my parents live in Portugal (Madeira Island, there are no squirrels, just rabbits), but in mainland Portugal, the Red Squirrels have made a big comeback, they're found throughout the heavily forested North and Central parts of the country, where they're preyed upon by Portuguese Pine Martens and foxes and they've made a comeback as far south as Lisbon. Grey Squirrels haven't been introduced there thankfully. Again, it's crazy what you can learn on a football forum, huh? :56:

Here's an alarming article where the French and Swiss are fearing an invasion by Grey Squirrels, lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...squirrels-in-Italy-are-heading-their-way.html

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    bagforlife and cidermaster like this.
  18. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    This time of year is great for watching salmon cutting the redd...I've not managed to get up river this year but here's a video I shot a few years ago...

19. Bratfurdbhoy1

Aye but it is cool when they all come into your garden. Tonight 2 frogging owls twit twooing to one another

20. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Also across Scotland,England and Wales Goshawks have really increased in numbers in the last 2 decades,and they take Grey Squirrels as well.In fact birds of prey are doing really well on the whole in these isles despite a limited number of idiots.