1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

In for a player of the year shout this season.

packybhoy likes this.
  2. oh bhoy

I wish strachan was still in charge of scotland to see if he would have started some English premier league/championship * in front of him after that performance

Fully87 likes this.
  3. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Love the *

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. northeast67

He never seems to give the ball away and is always in space to take the ball! Some engine in him too! Can't be dropped after that display.

5. Bratfurdbhoy1

I like the way he buzzes about the pitch and always good for a wee goal. Good temprement too. Doesn't get too flustered .

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Artorias and Jeannie960 like this.
  7. Hail_hail6767

Better than Armstrong.

Callum McGregor and jamesfr like this.
  8. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Ooooh close one. At their best i'd say Armstrong pips him. But not by much.
    Both good players but McGregor has never lost form even when he hasn't played for weeks. With a good long run in this team he could well be better than Armstrong in the future.

Fully87 and Artorias like this.
  9. BroxBhoy94

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ONE NEIL LENNON
    That roar from the crowd on Tuesday when McGregor scored was sensational. Wee lad deserved it big time as well.

Got to stick two fingers up at Strachan as well, so that was nice.

10. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    I like his temperament too. Saw that against the Huns last year when his through pass didni come off, was annoyed with himself but reacted quickly when the ball broke to him to smash it in. I think we can see the years he spent on the wing were probably wasted and is far more effective in the middle of the par, and also one of the reasons many, including me, thought he wouldn't make it here or wasn't good enough for us.

How wrong was I!

Bratfurdbhoy1 likes this.
  11. Martin_CFC

Outstanding player, hope he presses on and makes himself a mainstay in the team.

Would put him in ahead of Rogic every day of the week at the moment, never hides and always has the fans on the edge of their seat.

DoTheBroony likes this.
  12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Totally changed my perception on him brilliant wee player fantastic now gives his all

13. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Another one from the "I was wrong" camp.
    So pleased how this lad is progressing. ..his quiet unassuming character had me fooled.
    A great wee player and professional.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MALKY Mackay will reward Callum McGregor’s continued excellence for Celticwith his first cap for his country on Thursday night against the Netherlands at Pittodrie.

The interim Scotland head coach was at Parkhead on Tuesday to watch the 24-year-old score a fine equaliser against Bayern Munich in Celtic’s 2-1 Champions League Group B defeat.

The 24-year-old had to play a waiting game for a chance at international level in the Gordon Strachan era but Mackay received a glowing report from Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers and he will not have to wait much longer for his international debut.

“Callum, you can assume, will see a Scotland shirt,” said Mackay. “You talk about improvement in players and I love to see it. There are some on a pathway that is straight up. Some plateau, some go up again and some don’t.

“Callum McGregor probably is the most improved player in Scotland in the last 18 months, probably since Brendan went in there.

“I’ve felt it myself in my career that, when you’ve a manager who believes in you and a manager you can learn from, you surprise yourself at times with your performances. In the last 18 months he has kicked on.

“I’ve asked Brendan what he’s like and what he said was that he can handle big games.”

Fully87 likes this.
  15. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson

From his loan spell at Notts County. He scored 12 in all for them I think.

packybhoy likes this.
  16. DonnyCelt

Had doubts he could make it here but the guy has proven me wrong and I couldn't be happier. What a player he is turning out to be.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  17. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Never rated him, always seen him as a powder puff player, had a few nice touches and that but had nothing about him and was overall nowhere near good enough.

How wrong was I :56:

Went from being one of my least favourite in the squad to probably my favourite player and first name on the team sheet IMO. Such in important player to us, can always count on him to score or create something every time he plays and he has toughened up a bit as well. His link up play is outstanding as is his close control but unlike before, 9 times out of 10 he produces an end product.

18. TheHappyLoss

Exact same. He did my * in when he first came into the side, cut inside shoot, cut inside shoot, usually high or wide. What a player he has become

19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I'm sure the County fans are well pleased for him. They deserve great credit for his development. It's that experience we want our players to receive when they go on loan. And I feel Cal came back twice the player because the Notts fans loved him.

Artorias and StPauli1916 like this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Callum McGregor laughs when you ask if he swapped his jersey with one of Bayern Munich's behemoths after their Champions League game at Celtic Park last week. Arturo Vidal, perhaps? Arjen Robben or James Rodriguez? He wasn't short of options.

"No, no," he says, before explaining the way of things in the McGregor family. "My mother would have killed me. She always keeps the ones I score in. I'm not allowed to swap them. She's the boss. They're all in her cupboard. I'll never see it again."

It's got to be a fair old cupboard given that McGregor has scored in 24 different games for Celtic including two pivotal ones on the road to history.

The 63-match unbeaten run hasn't had a lot of scary moments, but it's had a few. It was McGregor's equaliser that kept the wheels on the bike against St Johnstone in August and it was his leveller that averted defeat against Hibs in late September.

When the story of Celtic's season is written, others will get mentioned ahead of McGregor, but he's been excellent all the same. His energy, his ability, his mentality make him a high-quality part of this.

'Everything was about technique with Tommy'
    For a little while now there's been calls for Scotland to recognise what he's got, but that never came under Gordon Strachan. The wrong genetics, perhaps.

"I was lucky because I came through at Celtic and it was all about technique and being a good footballer," McGregor says. "When Tommy Burns was here, * bless him, he was at our training sessions all the time. He was first-team coach, but he was there. He'd come jogging down and I remember thinking, 'Does this guy ever rest?'

"He'd be there for hours and everything was about technique. It was never a question of height or strength, it was more important that we got that technical work. Genetics? Modern football is getting that way, but you need a mixture of everything in your team - height, strength, ability, pace. You need a balance."

International recognition is set to arrive this week with a friendly against Holland at Pittodrie under the interim management of Malky Mackay, who has indicated McGregor will get his first cap.

A goal or not, that'll be another jersey that will find a loving home in Mrs McGregor's cupboard.

Sitting with him at Lennoxtown, McGregor comes across as far more mature than his 24 years. His deep appreciation of what he's got at Celtic is blatantly obvious, but it's only when he starts to tell his back story do you understand what it's all about.

'I was in real man's football and I had to stand up'
    A Celtic player since childhood, he was put out on loan to Notts County for the 2013-14 season, still not having played a first-team game. He'd just turned 20. "In the back of your head you're thinking maybe they don't fancy me. That was a hard 24 hours trying to get my head around that. I was straight down the road.

"It was a massive part of my learning. I'll never forget it, having to go down there, living away from friends and family and pretty much starting again. You quickly learn that it's people's livelihoods that you're playing for. These guys in the changing room have mortgages, they have kids and I'd come from an environment where everything was handed to you on a plate and it's almost too easy. Down there you're having to fight for your life. You're having to grind it out. I was in real man's football and I had to stand up."

In a sense, it was the making of him. McGregor was only a boy, but he became a huge part of that Notts County team in what turned out to be a desperate struggle to avoid relegation from League One, England's third tier.

He was in the team that shipped four against Peterborough, that lost 5-1 at Leyton Orient and 5-1 again against Walsall. In particular he remembers a trip to Rotherham and the dressing room pleading with the manager, Shaun Derry, to shift his tactics from long ball to something more adventurous. Derry acquiesced and Rotherham did them 6-0.

"I remember them all. I remember thinking I've come from playing in the Celtic youth team and beating teams five and six every week and it's a total flip. In the Rotherham game we went out to play what we thought was proper football, but I learned that there are times when you just have to dig deep. Since the age of eight, nine and 10, I was playing passing football with Celtic but I saw the other side that season. We had to fight."

McGregor scored 12 times in that League One campaign. He scored the decisive goal in wins against Fleetwood, Burton, Crewe, Oldham and Gillingham. County stayed in the league with just three points to spare. The following season, with McGregor now back in Glasgow, they were relegated.

He says what drove him, in part, down in Nottingham was a determination to prove to people back in Glasgow that he was good enough. He did - and he was. Ronny Deila gave him his debut. "He flipped over the chart and my name was there. 'Oh my *, here we go...'"

'I keep saying to KT, 'You're a freak!''
    He scored four times in his first seven games and he learned some valuable lessons. "You realise that you can't have one good game at Celtic and then be quiet for two or three, then score again and everything is forgotten about. You have to be on it every single game. I was flying, then I dropped out of the team, through tiredness and things like that. That's when you understand that, yeah, you've played 25 or 26 games but you could be away (on loan) again.

"That's what's incredible about KT (Kieran Tierney). I remember him coming through. I still sit up the back of the bus with him. I'd been through that 25-game dip and you have to build yourself back up again. I was saying to him, 'You'll start, you'll be on fire, everybody will love you, then you might hit that 25-30 game mark and you might take a dip. You'll need confidence to come back'.

"I think he's played about 97 games and he's not had a bad game yet. It's unbelievable. I keep saying, 'You're a freak!' He just seems to be defying all the odds every single week. I don't think we've seen a player like that for many, many years. We've had some great left-backs at Celtic but KT seems to be blowing everybody out of the water every time he's putting on that jersey."

Brendan Rodgers' management has helped, but in praising the Northern Irishman, McGregor doesn't just limit it to his tactical acumen. He speaks about psychology and clever man-management and tells a story from last season to illustrate it.

"When Brendan came in we were obviously winning things but he wanted us to win in a better way. My mindset was just to work hard and try to stay in the manager's thoughts. He took me into his office one day and said I was doing really well, that he rated me and trusted me and thought that I had another level within me. I think he was trying to give me the confidence to kick on. It was an important conversation because I knew then I had his approval."

McGregor has won the trust of his manager, the admiration of the fans and trophies in torrents. On Thursday night he might well win his first international cap, another big landmark in the burgeoning career of a very fine footballer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41877229

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Valhalla, Liam Scales and packybhoy like this.