1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Champions v Kilmarnock 28th October

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Oct 25, 2017.

Discuss Champions v Kilmarnock 28th October in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Far too many people banging the consistent 11 drum, where were you between Wednesday and the final whistle today?

We were right to change it up and came up against a highly organise Killie side that were solid.

2. Vic Vega

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Lambert
    Think
    Agree with this.

Clarke got it spot on today. His tactics were sound.

Kept his team solid and compact and made us play it out wide almost every time.

3. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    He did get it right today and so did Tommy Wright but a genuinely believe If we started with our best 11 we would've won both games comfortably , also the wind made it difficult for us to play good football and favours the underdog, let's hope it s like that on Tuesday
    62 games unbelievable record well done Celtic and Brendan

4. rory_90

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Frustrating again today, can understand the need to make changes but we're making far too many for these home games recently. Think that was 6 changes today from the Aberdeen game.

I wonder if this result today might change Rodgers' approach. Hearts on the first day was the only home game where we haven't seen a first 11 that wasn't under strength and the only one aside from Ross County where we didn't drop points or scrape over the line.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We didn’t start our best 11 against Aberdeen and won.

Everyone is a hindsight genius.

Gerry1972 and packybhoy like this.
  6. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    We have been chopping and changing a bit too much. Surely when the team is winning and playing well tiredness, at least mentally is not a factor. Our first 11 simply hasn't been able to get into their rhythm. I would rather go into bayern Munich having won with our strongest 11 playing than going in off the back of a poor result at home. Our momentum has been really stop start this season and it's being affected by a lack of consistency in both performances and team selection.

McGregor has hardly played this season from the start, why is he being rested? Dembele has hardly played this season and on fire, again he should get the first 60. I can understand saving our only available centre back in boyata.

We lacked composure today in the second half, too many shots instead of looking up for a pass. We also started really slow second half allowing them to come into the game.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Agree with most of this but particularly the part in bold.

Luckily the results have still been coming but we need a bit more consistency in terms of performance and I'm sure Rodgers feels the same.

celtic20 and evilbunny1991 like this.
  8. dmccourt95

Rogic was really poor today and Sinclair done nothing once coming on, team can't find any rhythm but we'll beat Bayern anyway

9. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    We started ou
    think we started with our best 11 players on form against Aberdeen, Griffiths sinky have went off the boil recently and moussa n Forrest playing well , it's no coincidence played our best 11 against Huns and Aberdeen destroyed both away , played excellent made massive changes and played st Johnstone n killie at home and we draw and let's be honest to our standards played poorly

10. Ak1

I personally feel BR has to change it up, and give certain players the opportunity to keep match fit/showcase their talents, to keep them motivated and ready for when it's time to step up when we really need them.

It was always going to be tough today.

Players unquestionably will have 1 eye on Tuesday against Munich, and Steve Clarke is a very knowledgeable and experienced coach. (Chelsea, Liverpool, West Ham and WBA)
    It's no coincidence a bottom of the table side have picked up 2 away draws this week, I can see Kilmarnock start to climb the table over the next few months.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    No I'm just not setting unrealistic expectations for a team that's played nearly 30 games and it's not even November. If we're taking 7/9 points from every 3 games and on course as expected in the other 2 completions, I dont mind. So when we do draw a game I dont care.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Didni see the game but we sounded a bit flat again and lacking creativity and fluency from what I heard on radio. I agree restin some players, but 6 changes seems too many imo. Like Crilly had posted above, I don't remember Larson or Petrov being rested for many games, if any. Surely the best players want to play all the time. I agree with rotating the squad but not so many as I feel we lose momentum when we drop as many players, especially when we drop broony.

Don't see the point in playing our strongest team to play our closest challengers, hump them and then play almost a different squad and draw. Yes we still should have had the quality to win today and yes, we will still win the league, but it puts wednesdays win into perspective after today's result: pointless. The sheep are still only 1point behind us and I feel we may be puttin unnecessary pressure on ourselves by not bein consistent enough. Am I being too harsh?? We drew 4 games last year, we've already drawn 3! I understand BR is focussin on Europe just now and giving it more priority but he should remember the league is our bread and butter and if we get European football after Christmas which is likely, it will be interesting to see if this kind of squad rotation and results will continue.

We missed Broony again today and the club need to look long term at his replacement.

kramer1 likes this.
  13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I don't think we started with our strongest against the sheep Slater.:50:

14. Bunk Moreland

Probably not our bona fide strongest but far stronger than our team today, we put a team out on Wednesday to tank the sheep shaggers, we put a team out today to get through the game.

packybhoy likes this.
  15. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Fair dos mate, your probably right sad day when I'm moaning and we've just went 62 games unbeaten domestically, got it aff my mates at the game today as well, I'm delighted with the season just games like hibs n cup last week and Aberdeen I'm really worried about and we destroy them then the day I'm taking-4 , thank f((k next 2 league games are away guaranteed 6 points

packybhoy likes this.
  16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    That was to be expected. We lay down our marker at the home of our biggest league rivals. Today was a damage limitation exercise. Should have had enough to beat them but doesn't always work. These games are where BR puts in players to prove they're worth a start.

17. JamesM09

Put it this way mate, if Kilmarnock go 2-1 up on the 85th minute I have no doubt we would’ve scored to make it 2-2 by the 90th. Absolutely no doubt, because we would not want this record to end.

I want that urgency and motivation at 1-1 to score again and win the game 2-1. We didn’t look like scoring because we didn’t need to. We wanted to win of course but we played in those last 20 like we were content to drop the points today, keep the record intact and be more fresh for Bayern.

18. Bunk Moreland

Too many at once imo. As I said before, MON didn't rest Larsson and Petrov etc so why are we resting players these days, it * up our momentum and probably does more bad than good.

packybhoy likes this.
  19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I'd prefer them rested and rotated. But each to their own my man.:50:

20. Bunk Moreland

I'd prefer to be going into the Bayern game on the back of a 4,5,6-nil pumping of Killie rather than a * 1-1 draw with half a team playing. Morale-wise it's far better.