1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Willlie Maley

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hiphopaddict, Sep 26, 2017.

Discuss Willlie Maley in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    .......I was reading about our legend Willie Maley in the book "Celtic - A Biography in Nine Lives" by Kevin McCarra. Through which I gained some uncomfortable insight into the man and his character.

1 - He was a renowned royalist, having a great affection for the royal family and the British Empire at the time. The book states that Maley's restaurant "The Bank" in the city centre had, on the back of it's business card a picture of Maley meeting George IV and his wife at the Parkhead Forge (not the shopping centre, the ammunitions works during WW2). The book also describes how he had been "unsettled" by the death of George V in 1936 and that the abdication of Edward VII had affected him like a "trauma in his own life"

2- He was a great believer in the greatness of the British Empire and was a mad enthusiast in the British army and for British military operations. His father had served in the Crimean War which had caused his initial interest in the army. He often visited and was a very popular figure at the military barracks in Maryhill. He was also dead against Irish Republicanism and called the 1916 Easter Rising "The work of foolish fellows". Although he was born in Newry into an Irish family O'Malley. The family and most especially Willie distanced himself greatly from his heritage since settling in Scotland and the family name was changed to 'Maley' to help do this.

3 - He often went to watch Rangers at Ibrox. He was a great friend of the Rangers manager William Wilton when they were in charge of both clubs. Also after his forced resignation at the age of 71! in 1939 he was so enraged that he refused to go back to Celtic Park to watched Celtic and instead went to Ibrox on match-days to watch Rangers. This was during the time of Bill Struth and his staunch Protestant stance when no Catholic would be employed by the club. He would not return to Celtic Park until 1947 after the death of chairman Whyte whom he blamed for his forced resignation. All that time between 1939 and 1947 he went to watch Rangers instead.

I know these were different times with different ideologies and outlooks. But * * I wouldn't have guessed half of this of one of our all time legends. * mental

Marty McFly and packybhoy like this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wowsers.

I knew nothing of this.

3. Aidan O’Shea

Last time I sing 'Willie Maley', so.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Is the book supported by reliable references and sources?

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

16 League titles & 14 Scottish Cups is the main stat..

Empire Cup must have been special for him..:fear:

6. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    nope never knew this

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Don’t know if this is true but what I do know is that particular journalist, a Celtic fan, is of the opinion that we as fans wallow in our role as underdog and attribute failures to anti-Catholic conspiracy.

For that reason I’d treat the source with extreme care.

8. Bratfurdbhoy1

Ha Willie Maley great uncle of mine. No joking either. His brother Tom was a good player and manager too.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He was 2 month's old when Maley passed..

I'm sure he knew him well and has very good reason's for trying to blacken a Celtic legend's name........

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Kevin McCarra :giggle1:

11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    He was married into one of the richest families in Glasgow. The owners of all Victorian playhouses and cinema. He was friends with British officials at the time.

12. Norm Peterson

Celtic as a club had very strong connections with the British Army early on. They used to recruit and have military drills at CP because Maley was a strong supporter of them.