1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats everyones thoughts of progression..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by KL Bhoy, Sep 28, 2017.

Discuss Whats everyones thoughts of progression.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Unless we're talking at least the semi finals of the Europa, then CL. I would rather two more games against a top side with the financial benefits that come with it, than 4-6 games against, less glamorous sides with less financial gain.

2. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Does a bear * in the woods?

3. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Both options would be signs of progression for me. Last 16 would be a tremendous achievement given we would have knocked out a team like Bayern. Europa League would probably be the lesser, yet still a good progression.

Last night was a progression and a massive one. Heard all night about Celtic not having won away since Spartak Moscow and 1st ever away clean sheet. Well there's 2 progression goals right away.

Tom English mentioned last night before the game that questions might have to be asked about Brendan Rodgers if we lost to Anderlecht. And also we need to adjust our tactics to a more defensive mindset. * goon even dared to mention Walter Smith and the deceased in the same sentence. More bullshit from him

For me we have already progressed and will find ourselves in the Europa League come the New Year.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Financial benefits only go so much in football, this season already we have more than balanced the books.

The Seville season was one of the most memorable/exciting as a fan, the experience of being at a European final with my granda is something I'll never forget and for that reason it's Europa League for me.

I know it's a somewhat crude analysis as both have lost key players and lost form but Ajax got to the final last year and were beaten home and away by Rosenborg who we defeated in the qualifiers. Also Anderlecht got deep into the competition and we've just soundly beaten them. With a bit of luck and some performances it's not outwith the realms of possibility of going far in the Europa League...and what a buzz that would be.

The last 16 of the Champions League - aside from the jackpot it would bring - is a much less attractive proposition as it'd most likely end in defeat.

5. Mr Brown's Bhoys

I'm trying to think about it in terms of money, coefficient and entertainment. For arguments sake I'm saying we'd get pumped in the last 16 CL and quarter finals of the EL.

Money: Whichever way we'd get more for CL. We'd need to pick up at least one unexpected win and the prize money for that, last 16 money and more TV money plus one more home match. I don't know the figures but this would be against less TV money, less prize money but more home games (3 vs 1).

Coefficient: Taking into account us needing at least one more big win plus Anderlect at home we'd be getting around 15 points (before they divide it or whatever). A winning run to the quarter final of the EL would see us get 17 points.

Entertainment: What do we want more? A win against Bayern then say pumped by Juventus or the like or just one more win in the CL followed by excitement up to March?

I'd be happy with either I think but it has to be said that the EL is no diddy competition! There are some big teams in there. If I really had to choose I'd go EL quarters but that's probably skewed by the fact that I think we'll only get 3 more points in the CL and how proud we are of Seville. It's all progression.

6. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Not if it stays in a zoo

7. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I went for Champions League, although think either is progress on last season.

Stay in the more prestigious competition for as long as possible. A 3rd place finish in the CL Group only gets you into the last 32 of the Europa League; there's still no guarantee of this run to the semi-final or quarter-final that other posters have mentioned.

Xatraps likes this.
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Europa League run, as it has a realistic chance of lasting long, which means Rodgers can credibly demand money for a few strong winter signings, which would help us in the EL.

9. Darnok

I would like a Europa League run. My best memory as a Celtic fan was the run to Seville, it was a great time.

10. Bonobhoy

I think we will finish third now...Even though Bayern aint the team they used to be i can see them still giving us a doing.

Third is magnificent and tbh,the teams in the EL are great again this year.....Anything after Xmas is golden,Keeps the players on their toes as well.

11. Heb Celt

Either or as would be great to reach final and have a chance of winning the Europa league.

12. Mr Diggler

I think we need to reign it in a bit. Great result last night but it is still early in the campaign and although Anderlecht looked rudderless they are on the verge of appointing a top Belgian manager so who knows how the table will look come December. One game at a time is my mantra. The next one is extremely tough away to Bayern but we go with confidence and who knows how we will do.

Lancashire Nick likes this.
  13. Norm Peterson

As far as I'm aware, all European games carry the same weight in regards to coefficient points. It doesn't matter whether it's CL or EL. I could be wrong though.

That's the reason why the likes of Athletico Madrid, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Everton etc. have fairly high coefficients because they normally do quite well in the EL.

14. HWFG!

Anything can happen in the knockout rounds so got to be last 16! Europa seems to get tougher every year aswell.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Knocking Bayern out the CL would be priceless.

Dunno why anyone would want a shot at the Europa over that!

The IRA likes this.
  16. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    It would take Anderlecht getting a win and a draw in their next 4 games (or win by more than 3 at Celtic park) for us to not to get europa. Assuming we win at Celtic park they’d need 2 wins and a draw against Bayern(home) and PSG(home and away), they’ve just been beaten 3-0 at home by their main competitors for the 3rd spot, fair to say their heads are down at the minute. Would be some collapse for Anderlecht to overtake us at this point, why not aim for 2nd instead of just being happy with 3rd.

17. Sween

I get from the perspective of watching the games a Europa run would be more fun. But from a club progression perspective it has to be the last 16. Whether we lost or not in the next round, to finish ahead of bayern in the group would be an incredible achievement and arguably one of the best achievement s in the history of celtic given what we needed to go through to get there.

What the europa league would provide is the excitement of watching games where there is a genuine chance of celtic winning, losing or drawing. Sounds obvious but the reason I really looked forward to the game yesterday (more than psg) was because we had a realistic chance of seeing a range of outcomes. You just dont get that playing in scotland or playing the elite in europe.

Mr Shelby and The IRA like this.
  18. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    If it comes down to the last game and we manage to knock out Bayern, there is not one Tim that will be hoping for Europa. Looking at this group, that would be an incredible achievement. One which would make people around Europe sit up and take notice of us again.

I think we also receive around 6.5m if we reach the last 16. (Don't know what the figures are like for the EL, pish I'd imagine) so it's better for us financially, for our coefficient and for our prestige.

However, Europa League is not a bad option to fall back on. I think with a few signings in January we could probably go really far in that competition. I've always wanted to see Celtic lift a European trophy in my lifetime (I'm not even 30) and I think the EL is the best option.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Good question and I genuinely don't know the answer.

Last 16 would be great for the club, especially as it would mean beating a bona fide modern European powerhouse to second place.

Really think though, with the right additions in January we could take a right good stab at the EL.

Good problems to have though.

The IRA likes this.
  20. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I still think we are latter stage Europa League level at the moment and to get a run at that would be amazing especially making latter stages. Decent Chances of a euro semi/final or possible last sixteen knockout? I'll take a run at the final.