1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We NEED a new keeper

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Sep 14, 2017.

Discuss We NEED a new keeper in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sween

Like almost every debate around signings, it really comes down to what the objective is in strengthening. In Scotland, I dont think we need to spend money on a new keeper as in most games Gordon may only be called into action a few times per game. I dont think there is enough demand on our keepers in the domestic game to justify spending a few million to replace Gordon.

In Europe, I think a better keeper could perhaps dig us out of a hole in some games, but until we spend money on at least a couple of quality defenders, I dont think the keeper is the priority. And I sense if we have no interest in spending money on a 3rd striker or a first choice centre half, we arent going to splash out on a keeper better than Gordon.

JamesM09 likes this.
  2. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Sad but true.....Celtic just aint got the financial capacity to build a European challenging first 13 players, Gordon probably falls into the category of; good enough for the league, just about passible for Europe.

3. celtic warrior

How many first choice center half's does one club need? Don't get me wrong if we can find an improvement on boyata or Erik or even jozo then by all means sign the * asap but when you who've got the level of options and relative "quality" of jozo, boyata, Erik, Ajer, Lustig and KT to pick from then I really don't see the need to sign anyone there.

Even if we go three at the back and sign a first 11 worthy cb we'd only have to sell Erik or boyata anyway which doesn't change the numbers or amount of options anyway and then should a freak pile of injuries happen again our position will not have changed and people will be raging and screaming for a new CB. As there is no way we could keep on that many "quality" players for 2 spots on our books.

I've always felt we could do well to go and find a young keeper with a point to prove in a similar vein to Forster when we first got him on loan, that way we've got some one we can bed in and give game time to in order to prepare him whilst it might even help push Gordon to perform more consistently whilst he's number 1.

4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    * unbelievable:

On Sutton:
    “I don’t agree with an awful lot of what he says.

“But I suppose that’s the case for half the players in Scottish football. I’m NOT alone.

“I think he goes over the top at times and I know I’m not the only one to perceive that.

“There are other guys in our squad who receive as much, if not more, criticism than me.

“I’m not sure it’s a personal thing, but it seems to be.

“It’s his opinion but he focuses rather a lot on the negatives, rather than anything positive.

“It’s more of a campaign. He had his mind made up very early on.

“He is trying to make everything fit his early statements. That’s his job as a pundit.

“He’s got his opinions. I just think it tends to send the signals out to the Celtic fans. It’s a little unfair.”

Gordon insists he has no interest in a face-to-face meeting with Sutton, saying: “I don’t think that would make any difference.”

On rabid bitter wee * boy McCann:
    “I know Neil well. I was at Hearts during both his spells there.

“I was on the groundstaff when he left and then in the first team alongside him when he came back. He was always a fiery character on the pitch. He did well last season, making sure Dundee stayed in the league.

“I’m sure he’ll do a good job. He just loves football. He is so enthusiastic and I’m sure that will come across to his players.

“Neil will put high demands on them and I’m sure he’ll let them know if they fall short.

“He missed that day to day interaction of being involved. It’s hard for some people to give up.

“He did some coaching at Dunfermline under Jim Jefferies. It was something he was always looking to get into.

“He’s kept himself in the limelight, everyone knows him through his TV work. Dundee is a good job for him to show what he can do.

“I hope he goes on and does well, but only after we get through to the next round on Wednesday night.

“Saturday’s win against St Johnstone shows his players are fighting for them. It wasn’t one most expected them to win.

Slating a club hero and resident hun skelper because of RIGHTFUL criticism with one breath, and then verbally wanking off a bitter * like McCann
    Im * livid.

* off back to hearts.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

And Craig has every right to respond to Sutton.

6. Momo Sylla

That defence were solid when at their best. Nobody * with Bobo.

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    sorry crow... not havin it.

respond to criticism... thats fine. he cant * talk anyway so he should do on the field. as well as basically accusing sutton of pandering to us. gtf
    wanking off mccann after what he said about us yesterday is * unreal.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

So Sutton having a go is fine with you.

9. Momo Sylla

Wouldn't even consider looking in England. Germany/Poland and Italy always seem to produce top keepers. We should be looking to * a young prospect from there as the likes of Juve/Milan etc must have some cracking players in their youths.

10. KL Bhoy Kez

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I think given some of Gordons recent shockers he deserves the criticism he is receiving. Im not saying the guy is a bad keeper, but I feel like the only reason he is number 1 right now is because we have no valid alternative in De Vries.

11. Momo Sylla

At his peak Boruc was top 5 in Europe probably. The latter part of his career here when he downed tools is the part that's overblown. Never felt as confident with a keeper as him as you knew he could pull off saves Buffon would be proud of. Just look at when he went to Fiorentina and displaced Frey who was comsidered one of the best at the time.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Sutton can't praise Gordon when it's due, so isn't fair in his critique if him. He is right to defend himself if need be.
    Sutton has been a bit of a * when it comes to Gordon, no doubt..

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Valhalla and celticfan01 like this.
  13. Darnok

You seem very emotional.

14. ladbroke8

Sutton is playing a character. Wish people would realise.

It's like people talking to Keith lemon

15. Millerntor

Gordon should have ignored this instead of being dragged into a futile argument. Sutton hailed him in Ronny's first season and called him our player of the season so for Gordon to suggest he more or less has always had it in for him is ridiculous.

16. BlackSatinSunrise

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't remember that tbh, only ever remember him being super critical of Gordon..but aye maybe best ignored.

18. Millerntor

Chris Sutton: Craig Gordon's been so good for Celtic this season no one's noticed Fraser Forster's away

KEEPER'S comeback from injury and return to form after looking finished has been nothing short of remarkable.

CRAIG GORDON. Celtic Player of the Year.

It’s going to be a tight race this term with a few candidates in the running.

But since Nir Bitton brought the subject up this week when he put Stefan Johansen forward as his nominee, I thought I’d nail my colours to the Gordon mast.

His story has been pretty remarkable, to be honest.

When it became clear that Fraser Forster was going to be leaving, you feared a gaping hole would be left.

Forster is a great keeper and it was a concern about how he’d be replaced when he joined Southampton.

Yet the biggest compliment you can pay to Gordon is that no one has really noticed Forster has gone.

Given his problems with his knee for two years, you can’t speak highly enough of him.

Gordon has been a tremendous signing, especially when you consider he didn’t cost a button.

That was terrific business on Celtic’s part but you have to pass all the credit on to Gordon for going out there and justifying the club’s move.

A lot of clubs would have looked at him and thought he was finished.

It has been great to see because there was a feeling his career was going to end and you have to praise Gordon for his drive and determination.

He has always been a talented keeper but he must have had some dark days through those times wondering if he could get back, full stop, never mind back to the top level.

Gordon seems level-headed and grounded and has fought back in the most astonishing fashion.

The fans were worried and he must have been wondering himself if everything was going to be all right through the opening couple of months of the season.

There must have been doubts, yet you wouldn’t have known.

One blip against Inter Milan in the entire season so far is pretty impressive and you can forgive him that on the basis Celtic would not have been in the Europa League last 32 were it not for the keeper’s performances in the group stage of the competition.

Not only have Celtic benefitted, Scotland have as well with another class keeper in their ranks.

I’ll be honest, with two months of the season still to go, there could be someone else who comes through to challenge for the honour because there are no shortage of candidates.

JC Anton likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Changed his tune pretty drastically..

20. Pacific Ocean Blue

He's solid enough domestically, isn't bad in Europe, he's prone to a few howlers per season though