1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Deadline Day Summer 2017

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Aug 23, 2017.

Discuss Transfer Deadline Day Summer 2017 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SeanyBhooy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    There was two areas the majority of us felt had to be strengthened before the window, CB and RW.

We've signed two wingers in Hayes and Roberts, a top class CM which I'm ecstatic about, a loan deal for CF which I feel is the perfect deal, and added Benyu too who can cover a few positions.

It's been a great window, no doubt about it. But not addressing one of our biggest areas we needed to strengthen is disappointing.
    What's more disappointing is that Rodgers was actively after a CB and we never got one, it be interesting to find out why. It could just be that we were priced out, or wage demands were too high.

I don't understand everyone saying "our 3 CBs will be fit soon we didn't need to sign one". I don't believe any combo of the 3 of them is champions league class. We need someone to partner Jozo.

Anyway, the window is over and it's time to get excited about the CL games coming up.
    And I trust Brendan to work his magic :brendy:

2. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't see the risk at all, we wouldn't be much better placed to take on Bayern or PSG and I think we are well placed to take on Anderlecht - even more so with the state they are in just now.

We'll score more goals than we concede, that's the plan by the looks of it.

packybhoy likes this.
  3. john2061

It doesn't help our situation if we end up playing a midfielder at centre back against P.S.G and thought we would definitely bring one in after what happened against Astana in the second leg .

Artorias likes this.
  4. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yeah and a reality check would be issued by the fact we might have limited it to 5-0 given the insurmountable gulf in finances.

5. Eddie Murphy

Think the PSG/Bayern games are a bit of a red herring. We'll turn up and i'm sure we'll give it a right go, but regardless of who we signed, if teams like that really fancy it, they can destroy anyone. They key thing is are we able to better Anderlecht's results? I believe we should be beating them to third place. May be defeatist but it's * loony tunes to think we should realistically be challenging for 2nd against one of the most consistent CL teams in the competition's history and the highest spending team in the world.

I'm disappointed we didn't do a bit more in the windwow, but regardless who we have in the team, we need to step up, play to win and give a good account of ourselves. If we do that, we'll be in Europe after Christmas, hopefully take points of the big two, and if by chance they slip up, then you never know. Main thing is, time to focus on the boys who are here because they're a talented bunch and bound to give us some entertainment in the next few weeks.

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    *, that's right I smell *.......

Artorias and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    First you smelt pish now it's *, its not your day so far is it :bye1:

8. bhoy81

If I smell pish and * it's coming from you...... wonder when the penny is gonna drop..... :56:

9. Crilly

Say January we will see the likes of bitton and sviatchenko maybe leave. Get a new CB and maybe gk cover or full back cover

10. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Don't be a bunch of numpties.

Good summer window. We havent lost one single first team player and we've brought in Nctham. Stronger than last season. Bring PSG and Bayern Munich on. 10 points I say. HH

11. JamesLaverty25

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Moravcik, Samaras, Petrov, Sutton, Lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Is it worth looking at the free agent market for a fourth CB? Sebastian Bassong's the name that sticks out on the list

12. Dazzzdelux

I feel like a centre half was a priority. When I think back to some of the Cl/European games we lost the things that stand out in my memory are the likes of Efes bomb scare moments and I think majstorovic getting sent off. We've never really had a problem scoring goals and usually our defence is what lets us down and If we go into Europe with Bitton and Ajer at the back, I think it will be bad.

Having said that, I'm not sure how many real quality Centre halves are knocking about that are in our price range and are the finished article and ready to go straight away anyway.

I'm pretty pleased with the rest of the in-comings though, so overall I'm happy

13. bhoy81

Be interesting to see who is available to be fair, don't know why we don't get Big KOLO back for 6 months.

oh bhoy likes this.
  14. Joebhoy

I'm sure I read if we sign a player out of contract after deadline day they would not b eligible for CL

15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Funny that you said 3 points in the thread about how many we would get.

16. bhoy81

We need cover for the league and the cup games as well.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Not getting a CB in, means that BR really rates Boyata and thinks Sviatchenko, Ajer, Bitton, Lustig and KT are all able deputies for when Simunovic and Boyata don't start as the pairing..

Time will tell..

Random Review likes this.
  18. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    If boyata or sviatchenko are not fit for ou CL ties, we are *. Jozo might no b fit either. We have already seen Bitton in the SPL and was culpable and looked uncomfortable. Ajer is too inexperienced but good enough for SPL. So i am very disappointed not to get another fit CB in the door, although the Coetzee deal failed.

If they are all fit, great, we have a chance against PSG/Bayern and certainly Anderlecht. But with 1 or none recognised CBs fit, I hope we are prepared for humpings. Our attack is awesome and I don't know if the mantra will be: if you score 3, we'll score 4 but at CL level, it's important to keep it tight, you may only get 1 or 2 chances. If we don't have a settled or solid back line, I feel we are openeing the floodgates before a ball has been kicked.

Just my opinion, but if you want me, I'll be in church praying for Boyata.

19. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Or the board wouldn't cough up for the defenders he wanted :fear:

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's hard to tell, let's see if we get any clue from what BR says about the window..

Random Review likes this.