1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Deadline Day Summer 2017

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Aug 23, 2017.

Discuss Transfer Deadline Day Summer 2017 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    CB and a striker then it's a very good window. They need to be quality though.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Really intrigued to see what kind of ST we target.

I'm assuming the CB will be of sufficient quality to go into the 1st team but it's going to be difficult to attract a quality striker who isn't going to be anywhere near guaranteed game time.

3. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Still wouldn't mind a RB coming in as well as a striker and a CB. Too late in the window for all 3 unfortunately.

CB is top priority though. We need to get it right.

celticfan01 likes this.
  4. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    One experienced CB and a fast Internationally-capped RB that Brendan can get along with

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Yes 2 centre halfs, what happens not if but when they are injuries again and we don't have any centre halfs..... food for thought.

6. HWFG!

If we buy 2 center halfs we basically need there to be injuries or Brendan has some job on his hands managing 5 good cbs with Ajer also needing some game time and it looking like that's the only position bitton has any hope of playing that makes 7 for two spots. The squad is far too big as it is.

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Squad isn't too big mate, we have a potential 60 game season coming up again playing Tuesday/Wednesday - Saturday from now until 31st December that's a ridiculous amount of games. Currently as things stand for that we have (and I am not counting the young guys like Miller, Ralston, Atchison)

2 GK
    2 RB
    4 CB
    1 LB
    2 RW
    2 LW
    8 CM (I except Henderson to move before Thursday)
    2 ST

Brendan has said he wants a core group of 22 outfield players for the squad currently he has 21 so for me we are thin on the ground in certain positions; Left Back, Centre Back and up front if it was me I would prefer a 24 man squad, your two main strikers are liable to be injured, Moussa is out to end September now so Griffiths is yer only forward need a striker.

Tierney gets injured you are left with McGregor and Hayes filling in at Left Back.

Boyata, Simunovic and Svitachenko are all susceptible to injuries and Ajer is still learning so a quality centre back is required.

In short I feel we are 3 good players off a cracking squad and I await the close of the window as something always gets thrown up we don't expect and even if we don't make any additions at least Peter can say we tried......

8. HWFG!

By your count it's 23, plus the three boys miller ralston and atchison makes 26. I can definitely see them getting game time between now and Christmas.

I just feel there's going to be some good players not making the squad each week due to the size. In theory that could be problematic.

9. HWFG!

With all that being said, I've just found this on FB, puts things into perspective a little.

This summers departures.

Attached Files:

10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No its 21 outfield players mate and 2 GK, Rodgers has said he wanted a 22 plus 2gk squad. Am not counting they young guys for me they should go out on loan, decent players but need to learn their trade playing week in week out.

Not to mention the strikers pick up constant niggles

11. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

As great as it is getting Roberts back abeit another loan I can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed with this transfer window. Even with Roberts , with our CB crisis we are left weaker squad wise than last season. Ncamp has come in and looks a great signing but he is still young and is learning, as proved with Armstrong replacing him against St Johnstone. We need to spend money on experience, whatever it takes, £5m or more to bring in a quality experienced CB. As stated Brendan has said he will wait towards the end of the window when quality players become available but I hope we haven't left it too late and the board coming out with "we tried". With the money we are getting from CL that would be unforgiveable.

12. Eddie Murphy

Simple question we have to ask is, do we have a better squad now than the end of last season?

Think the simple answer to that is yes.

Firstly, we retained all the players who made a big difference to the team last season such as KT, Jozo, Armstrong, Dembele and now Roberts too.

On top of that we signed a very good domestic backup for Sinclair in Hayes. Yes, he's not a world-beater but has shown he can perform at a domestic level, will work his socks off, and Brendan knows him so hopefully can get the most out of him.

We've added real quality in Ntcham. An area we looked at our strongest, but his addition really takes a step towards European-class football and gives us a different dimension to our overall play.

And Benyu is just a little bonus as we didn't expect to see him but his early performances suggest he could well do a job domestically as well.

Then take account of the fact that we've shipped off a few higher earners off the wage bill with Commons, Efe and Izzy leaving, which adds further stability. (Think it would have been wise to keep Izzy tbh, but then maybe having a guy on the bench earning more than the guy on the field isn't a great situation either).

Overall we've taken a step forward, not back. May only be a small step but we're a far, far superior team to the one that was there a year ago, and have a semi-decent chance of performing at the CL level. Let's be fair, we've had a great start to the season considering our injuries in defence and up top. We're only going to get stronger as the season goes on.

Anything further from here will be a nice bonus. A first-team level CB to replace Eric who seems a tad too slow to play our game would be my priority, perhaps a loanee LB to deputise for KT.

JC Anton, Serbian Rebel and ChrisMoh like this.
  13. JamesM09

A CB is a must. Put a package together with whatever money we get from Van Dijks sale and go out and get a quality partner to Simunovic. Surely we must have a list of CB targets ?

Not as bothered about a striker. 3 strikers going for one position would upset the balance of the team, and with Paddy in now I think we have enough attacking options.

I would either get a prospect in or get someone on loan as a backup in case Griffiths or Dembele get injured.

14. Crilly

Apparently van dijks going to Liverpool for huge money and were due like 10 mil

15. Samurai Bhoy

Add another quality CB and this will be a hugely successful transfer window, taking into account the deadwood we shifted too.
    Add in decent cover for LB and we're in dreamland.
    Anything else would be a bonus.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The fact that we were poised to sign Coetzee for 750k is a bit of a worry tbh, surely we should be looking at spending more than that ?

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. Heb Celt

A CB is needed for sure,preferably one that could fill in at LB.Striker not so much needed now since we got PR back.

18. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    i was an old fm player so a like when we sign some guy we haven't heard of for peanuts and he becomes a star down the line.lubo,larsson,wanyama,rogic,agathe etc.or we could end up with another scheidt or berkovic,type signing both signed for between 4-5 million.celtic are one of the best bargain basement clubs out there,i mean our success rate with buying guys on the cheap is really good,we don't waste money like a lot of clubs,so don't worry about these types of signings.

19. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    CB please for the love of * Brendan.

Id only sign one, let young Ajer earn his spurs in Scotland and see how it develops from there.

If they sell Jozo or Erik then it would have to be 2.

A striker if we can, but not as urgent as CB.

20. Crilly

A good quality CB and I'm delighted with this window! Would like a striker but not too pushed as dembele be back in 3 weeks. Would like a RB to challenge/take over from lustig.