1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

CAD software

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by leeso-ardoyne, Aug 27, 2017.

Discuss CAD software in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. leeso-ardoyne

Is there anyone on here that does CAD as they're job. I'm wanting to get some experience in designing houses/garages etc with cad. Maybe Revit or archicad software. I have vast experience in construction however when it comes to designing on the computer, this is where I'm lacking. Ive located a lovely site and wanting to teach myself how to design and locate my 2nd self build into the terrian using cad software in my spare time.

Fontaine and KennyBhoy87 like this.
  2. KennyBhoy87

I work in Architects up north, we usually hand sketch out initial designs create 3D model in SketchUp and use AutoCad to do technical drawings alongside Revit for planning and Warrant.

Most designing is done by sketching it out, CAD etc best for getting submissions together but not design work.

Probably just a case of trial and error to see what works best for you / what you can pick up the easiest.

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  3. Onefootwonder

You'll more than likely find your local colllege will have a CAD class. It'll likely be Autocad they use.

4. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I'm a cad project design engineer for building envelopes and revit certified.

For what youre wanting to do autocad will suffice. Revit will just paint the pretty picture and is not required. What you will need to know is the process for your planning docs.

5. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

What's Sketchup like these days? The last I used it was when it was still free to use.

I received a Sketchup model a few weeks back for bim purposes and it certainly looks impressive enough in terms of modelling.

6. leeso-ardoyne

I downloaded SketchUp but hadn't a clue how to use it. I've arhicad 21 now and been messing about with it but seeing as it's only out, there ain't much on YouTube about it showing how it's used.

7. leeso-ardoyne

Much would a course be in college

8. leeso-ardoyne

What I aim to do, is basically learn how to design it on cad, set in into position into the site terrian then go through it with my engineer for getting it ready for the planners. When I built my first house, I designed it on paper then gave to my engineer to do the rest and look after the council side of things. Mines was just a basic floor plan, blocks, window schedule etc... I only paid 800 euro if I remember right. Now, they are looking 7k and some are wanting more.

9. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah, it's easy money. A friend of mine worked for the council so he had all the section blocks so all he had to do was stretch the block to suit site requirements. He said he'd spend half an hour to an hour after dinner a night per week and he'd be a grand up each time. Ridiculous.

250 will get you onto a autocad accreditation course. I done the revit equivalent in Motherwell. Was worth the commute from Glasgow as the cad labs in motherwell are well respected.

10. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I use SolidWorks to build telescope parts. It costs a bit though, I'm lucky as my school pays for a student subscription. Very easy to use.

11. lockerbie-bhoy

I use AutoCAD LT 2016; all 2D and to be honest after 17 years I only use a few of the basic functions and self taught. I do planning, building warrant, title plans etc and you can honestly get by and master the basic functions pretty quickly. On the other hand when you see properly trained people using CAD its impressive what they can do with layers etc etc. All my info is on the one layer so if Ive to pass a dwg to another professional I usually get an email back saying *`s that you've sent me!

Fontaine and Artorias like this.
  12. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean about the * comments! Everything I draw is on specific layers. If you have a detailed drawing it is a * send.

Other drawing standard pet hates:
    People who don't use associative dims
    Multiple drawing borders on one tab
    People who scale their drawings in model space.
    Lack of express tools on LT considering express tools was a fan made add-on.

KennyBhoy87 likes this.
  13. leeso-ardoyne

Been messing about with the archicad 21 since i got it last 2 weeks. Been copying the design of my own house(2400sqft), but with adding a garage ive been thinking of building the last few years but never got around to it because really busy. When i first started using archicad, it was like reading chinese but i stuck at it. Slowly getting the hang of it but its very challenging starting from scratch.

Would you know of any forums where i could join to help learn more about CAD software. Im wanting to learn how to get the exact terrian of my site and set the house/garage into it.

Screenshot (60).png Screenshot (61).png

Screenshot (62).png

14. Mr. Slippyfist

Nice car.

Artorias likes this.
  15. leeso-ardoyne

Scrapper it is! :31: