1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Gordon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dáibhí, Jul 3, 2014.

Discuss Craig Gordon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Brendan standing there looking at Gordon and pointing to big Doris ..........:56:

2. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    That signing seriously * us up.

3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    100%.

4. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
  5. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

I've thought about it for a while and i'm even angrier now. He should be shot :38:

freitassen likes this.
  6. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Completely agree it was his fault. We should be looking for a new young keeper to eventually take his place but to compare him to Rab Douglas in a degrading way after today is * attention seeking at it's worst. I say this as someone who does not actually hate big Rab btw

7. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

It's not the fact he didn't hoof it up the pitch, as already said that is against the style of play we are trying to play. But it is the manner how he tried to play the pass. Outside of the foot, Cockley, casual , trying to be "gallus", call it whatever you want it was a decision he made and it almost cost us. With his experience he should be savvy enough to work out he had an inexperienced right back and 2 non centre backs playing and not put them under pressure. Publicly Brendan is taking responsibility but I bet he is seething.

Rendog likes this.
  8. freitassen

This was not a mistake. This was really careless and unprofessional. Ridiculous he tries a pass like that, and then do nothing but complain of offside. This would get a fine or some sort of official reprimand in any other job

CelticKurd likes this.
  9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Please tell me this is a wind up?

10. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    It was a daft mistake but we had plenty of time to turn the game around, we had a really * first half all round.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  11. Big C

I agree the error was avoidable however if the abuse he is taking on here was mirrored to outfield players we would have no players left. The question is if Craig Gordon is not good enough who is? Not Doris on his previous competitive showings, his distribution was terrible. There are not many GK that can pass the ball the way we want to and also be proficient between the sticks. I feel he has been under so much pressure to play football from the back he has forgotten that at times he should just launch it up the park.

Random Review and CelticKurd like this.
  12. Scottk

Any professional footballer should be able to pass a ball including keeper

13. freitassen

Mistakes are something that happen out of bad luck.

This wasn't. This was because of negligence. Negligence at any job leads to consequences.

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think overall his distribution has improved tbh, he's actually done the floating pass a number of times with great success, but no question he made a right dugz bawz of it lol.

Damnati and Random Review like this.
  15. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People having a pop at Gordon for the passing error, you can contend that, although a goalkeeper's primary duty should always be safety first, there is an ethos at the club under BR, where there is clearly a standing order as to how he is to distribute the ball. It cost us today, and he nearly got caught out at one point in the first leg against Astana. But this is nothing new and certainly not in Celtic history.

In Lisbon '67, Ronnie Simpson was out of his area with an attacker closing in on him, one on one, when he decided to be pretty cute with a backheel, and was able to get away with it. Imagine if that had've gone wrong, and Inter score, could the Lions have been able to come back from 2 goals down? It's possible that the belief in that team still could have gotten back on level terms, but who knows?

Obviously it worked out and his legacy was secured for all time, and nowadays would anyone dare slaughter Simpson, even though for those few crucial seconds when he stopped just about every heart that was watching that match live? Not saying that Gordon is on par at this point, but it's an interesting parallel to consider.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mistake aren't only to do with luck. The full team made mistakes in the first half. Gordon's got punished. Goalkeepers mistakes always stand out more because they're far closer to the goal than any other player.

You're comment about fines and reprimands just make you look like a *.

Random Review likes this.
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just noticing the more i watch it, he passes it back to ralston the first time, then points to the left wing as if you say "send it that way" yet when the ball comes back to him, knowing the left side is * clear, he still attempts that * gimmicky kick to the right.
    Knowing their is 3 opponents right there and the right back is clearly struggling to get the ball out to space, why isn't Gordon taken a controlled touch and turning it to wide left?

Its massive poor judgement and a massive slice of cockyness - that isn't usually in his game - error made. Another one at that.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Sydneysider likes this.
  18. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm a big fan of Gordon. I have massive respect for the guy for battling back from his injury. It also cannot be underestimated what he has done to alter his game to the way Brendan wants. And at the age he's at. To show the willingness to adapt at this stage of his career again is another sign of his character. Chelsea wanted him for 4 mill in Jan too.
    The pass yesterday looked very lackadaisical and a small bit overconfident. I think it was bad judgement. I don't think Dorus is the answer personally and I can't think of an international gk we could sign who's ready made for the way Brendan wants to play. Vorm maybe? But I'm still quite happy with him as number 1. He's a good keeper.

I've made this point before buy I'll just make it again for everyone, he's not allowed to hoof it, at all, ever! Anyone, absolutely anyone who is still telling him to do it still has no grasp of what Brendan is all about. He used to do it, and was dropped in spectacularly public fashion. Brendan having the defence play this way must know there'll be a few goals conceded by a wayward defensive pass in build up and is happy with those odds.

Every player 'has a mistake in him'. A goalkeepers mistakes are amplified by there position. How many goals did Griffiths or Sinclair score yesterday? How many assists did Rogic get? Our flair players had 31 shots at goal yesterday. Gordon cost us a goal, not the game.

Brendan is a very good manager. He's also imo proven himself to be ruthless in his decision making, case in point how he dropped Gordon for Dorus then vice versa. I'll gladly let Brendan decide if he should remain our number 1 rather than us lot in here.

On a separate note reading through our players pages here you'd think we're totally * with a whole squad who aren't good enough. People need to reel in their negativity.

Random Review and Norm Peterson like this.
  19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

1 error who cares. Any keeper we get will play the same and make the same errors. Yous for some reason want something new and shiney. Yes we need a new keeper, hes getting on a big. The fact is he makes cracking saves and if he was against barca we would not have shipped so many goals. Work our * off for posession, then a keeper just punts it does my nut in. Keep the passing up Gordon. 1 mistake when tired and a european hang over is nothing. Couldbe worse. Coupd have dorris in goals, a guy who never saved 1 on target shot. Not 1. Every shot on target went on. Remember that.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  20. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Problem with Gordon is he makes an * of easy shots, yet at the same time as you say, he pulls off some amazing saves. Thought his possession of the ball against Astana away showed how he has improved his kicking. Thought big Dorrus saved a penalty against Sunderland ? Gordon has came up against 36 penalties in his time and only saved 3:fear: