1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Santos Laguna feeder club

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Kutek, Feb 18, 2011.

Discuss Santos Laguna feeder club in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ooo

are santos laguna really good enough to be a feeder club for us?
    shouldnt we be a feeder club for them

2. RyanDocherty

Thats what I would have thought considering one of Mexico's world cup stars cant get in our sqaud!

3. Wicklowbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    if juarez who has 24 caps for mexico cant get a game what chance would any " prospects" from laguna have ! have the same thoughts as the few bhoys above.

4. thekingofkings

its a great market to get in.
    also with it being an official partnership there scouting gets sent on to us aswell i think its a good idea to be honest.
    and juarez could also just be the fact he hasnt settled well do people remember petrov in his first season?

5. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    I wouldnt let murphy go we need all the defenders we can get and Murphy is a bonafide goal stopper, the ball never goes in the net when he is around

6. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    Juarez hasnt settled to life here yet, when he did get a decent run in the team he was our best player but he hasnt been given a fair chance in 5 months

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Massive bump, we still linked with this mob?

Has either club really benefited from this deal? I know we have massive work permit issues here with non-eu nationals, but thought a bit more would have been done with this link in terms of players/coaches/summer friendly camps etc

8. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Last news about them and us is circa 2015, so probably not.

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

All I have ever seen from this is a couple of tweets and I think you could get the website in Spanish for a while

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Bit of a let down then. Missed opportunity we think? Or simply paper work and the like too much? Really should look to get affliations with more clubs in these areas. Asia as well. Not meaning we must sign random players for a quota, but get the exposure. Excuse for friendlies amd spread the brand etc.

11. Mr. P Mosh

Well, now that Liga MX has no limit about signing foreign players, Santos Laguna could use some loans. It would be interesting to have some Scottish players around here just for the sake of the novelty. Even though I don't think they'd settle neither to the country's lifestyle nor the league's skillset that well (just like Juarez the other way around).

Also since Grupo Modelo (Corona's brewers) got bought by Anheuser-Busch InBev they sold the club to smaller investors and Santos Laguna has signed less fancy players, more of a low-cost approach (in fact they have sort of became a Club América feeder team, selling them their best players for top money $$$).

Actually, from the current squad the only one I think that could adapt right away to Celtic would be Djaninny Tavarés, and even so I don't think he'd be an upgrade there.

Nestor Araujo would be another one that could adapt there, he has the physical tools even though his playing style is definitely "Latin".

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Heard of Araujo before.

Looks a player. Hard but skillfull, the perfect blend.

13. Swervedancer Guest

Mexico always wins or gets close to winning the Concacef Cup or have I got the region wrong?

I would imagine Mexican players are technically very good, passing, dribbling and set pieces?

I thought all the best Mexican players moved to the MLS? Unless of course they are incredible when they would end up in Southern Europe.

14. Mr. P Mosh

Indeed. One of the few current Mexican CBs in Liga MX that I think has the tools to move to Europe right away. The other one being Montes from Monterrey, and maybe Hugo Ayala from Tigres, but he's already getting old.

Yeah, Mexican players tend to be technically very good, good passers and feel comfortable in a possesion based football. Ironically, Mexicans aren't actually the dribbling type (we have a few, Porto's Jesus Corona being the best in that regard), I guess that "rebelliousness" in not that encouraged in our grassroots where tactical discipline is more instilled in the youth teams, similar case to Japanese players.

And no, MLS is looked upon in Mexico, MLS usually goes after the aging Mexican players that have "star" power among the Mexican and Mexican American community in the US. But the best Mexican players stay in Liga MX where wages are very good, hence why they rarely go to Europe.

A young Mexican star in the MLS is seen as a failure and even mocked (rightly so :b), Giovani Dos Santos for example. His reputation in Mexico is that of a mercenary that prefers the money over good competition.

15. Swervedancer Guest

Thanks for replying Mr. P. Mash

I didn't realise there was a lot of money in Mexican football but on second thoughts it's a massive population who I assume are football crazy?

If a Porto player travelled to Mexico that does suggest pretty good salaries because Corona must've got offers from Europe if he's that talented.

Hopefully we get a couple of talented possession based passers which is an invaluable talent as it can make counter attacking incredibly fluent and quick. We have fast players like Sinclair and Forrest ideal for that game and Tam Rogic the conductor in the middle too!

16. Mr. P Mosh

Yeah, Liga MX having money is both a bless and a curse, because our market (and the fees clubs ask) are inflated and that means our players make more much more money than other leagues in the Americas (bar DP players in MLS and some players in the Brazilian Serie A), but also, it means they hardly get a chance to go to Europe because Liga MX clubs are not really in need to sell players in order to survive (like South American teams) so they can ask for exaggerated fees.

Most Liga MX have huge Mexican companies behind:

CF Monterrey has FEMSA which "operates the largest independent Coca-Cola bottling group in the world and the largest convenience store chain in Mexico. It is also the second largest shareholder of Heineken International."

Tigres UANL has CEMEX, "the second largest building materials company worldwide, only after LafargeHolcim."

Club América is owned by Televisa, "the largest multimedia mass media company in Hispanic America".

And so on...

And while there are no huge wages like in the MLS, the difference is that club wages are more evenly spread:

[​IMG]
    Numbers from 2014: source

We also have a pretty good attendance (which can grow since Monterrey, one of the clubs with best attendance got a bigger stadium):

[​IMG]
    Numbers from 2014, source

Also, Liga MX have two natural markets, Mexico and the Mexican community in the US, so they can get two TV contracts in both markets. The bid war between TV companies here is just starting so the contracts are getting better each season, here some examples:

TV rights in Mexico:

[​IMG]
    The numbers shown are per year.

TV rights from Spanish speaking channels in the US:

[​IMG]
    The numbers shown are per year

Data from 2015, source in Spanish

There's still room for improvement there.

---

By the way, Liga MX is the most watched football(soccer :b) league in the US:

Article from 2014, source
    ---

I know in Europe they kinda have the idea that MLS is the top league in the CONCACAF area and that they have the best players in the area, and while they have the fancier names, Liga MX is the biggest league here (some teams on par with the top CONMEBOL clubs) and we routinely spank MLS clubs.

E.g. Santos Laguna destroying LA Galaxy (with Robbie Keane, Steven Gerrard, Nigel De Jong and Giovani Dos Santos all on the pitch) in the past CCL:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  17. Swervedancer Guest

Mexico has that many different channels with separate deals? That seems a lot.

That wage deal for Liga MX is worth much more in Mexico that it is in the countries above it?

Premier League salaries are silly. It's amazing Germany can compete with the EPL tv deals world wide.

I have a feeling La Liga salaries are inflated because of the top two. And then within that it's the top two players.

Does Mexico compete in Copa America?

All those teams will be happy the Chile coach has left for Sevilla :56: Seems to be remarkable at management.