1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Eoghan O’Connell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Sean Daleer, Mar 29, 2014.

Discuss Eoghan O’Connell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Seems not a bad player, be silly not to have him around the club as back up. Trust him more than Boyata and Ambrose and he's bound to be cheaper.

Swervedancer likes this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just scored for Walsall.

Swervedancer likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Irish Van Dijk.

Swervedancer and Artorias like this.
  4. Hiceadha

Hopefully it appears on youtube

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

packybhoy, Swervedancer and Artorias like this.
  6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Good stuff. Would love to see him do well and come back and really push for a place in the squad, or at worst we get a decent fee for him.

Dembele likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He's better than Walsall.

It's all about proving he's good enough for Celtic for him. He raised his game when Rodgers came in and he'll have to go and do that another couple of levels again.

8. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Is he not out of contract in the summer?

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

10. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    Yes, which is a concern because he is a solid, reliable enough defender who is also comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Next season I see Boyata and Ambrose being off with Kolo Toure unlikely to get a contract extension onto his current deal.

So that only leaves Erik and Jozo with Lustig who can fill in too if need be. Hopefully O'Connell and Ajer can be understudies to Jozo and Erik next season with them getting their fair share of games.

Brendan isn't stupid, he knows how good O'Connell can be. I think O'Connell will get a new contract in the Summer.

11. Swervedancer Guest

Nice tidy strike from that angle.

Also not very common for defenders to get MOTM.

Ronny didn't fancy him? Pity he's on a free in the summer, he might want first team football but he could learn alot here and get plenty of games considering our calender plus a chance of Europe.

But that's him getting himself noticed after only a couple of games so a top flight Championship side might offer him something. If he goes to the EPL on a free I would be raging.

DaBomber likes this.
  12. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

Kolo, and BR have both expressed interest in extending Toure's contract, and taking up a coaching role.

Personally think he will be given a years extension as player/coach, and the following year, drop from playing, and become a full member of coaching staff.

13. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Think the club as a whole have rated O'Connell for quite some time. Would surprise me to see him not get offered an extended deal.

14. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    Ronny didn't rate Jackson Irvine either who I think would have made a much better squad player than McGregor or Henderson for example.

He won't get an EPL move mate from Walsall no chance. Championship team likely though if he keeps up these performances.
    Kolo is currently supposedly on £30-35K a week, no chance of him getting a similar contract next season when his playing time is so little with the emergence of Jozo and Erik.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Jon Whitney hailed the “outstanding” performance of Eoghan O’Connell after the Saddlers’ comfortable 3-1 victory over Bristol Rovers.
    The young defender capped a composed, man-of-the-match display with an expertly-taken volley - his first career goal - in just his second appearance for the club.
    And Whitney was full of praise for the talented 21-year-old afterwards – stating he is a "winner”.
    “I thought Eoghan was outstanding,” Whitney commented. “His technical side was really good.
    “One of his biggest fortes is that he’s so comfortable on the ball. He doesn’t panic which is great because we are a team that want to retain the ball and I think we’ve struggled with that this season a little bit.
    “He brings that, he brings a presence and he’s a winner. I think the players respect him already for what he is. He’s just one of those energisers and that goes through his family. He’s a great kid.
    “But I didn’t know he could score goals like that. But I’ll take it – it’s a nice string to his bow.
    “I think his dad was here watching as well. He’s got a good sporting tradition in his family – his uncle was the Lions captain and you can see he has a winning mentality which was key in us bringing him in.”
    O’Connell’s first-half opener set us on our way to back-to-back wins – and Whitney was delighted with the energy his team showed.
    “People say you’re as good as your last game,” Whitney added. “I said to the lads ‘your last game was 4-1 against Sheffield United so take that second half and see if you can hit the ground running again’.
    “I thought the first-half [against Rovers] was better than last week. I thought we controlled it better and pressed higher up the pitch, had better energy. We weren’t as safe as last week.
    “There was great energy from the lads, great pressure on the ball. I said to them ‘when I was a player, I would have hated to play against you’ – and I was a fit player.
    “But some of the energy we showed, I probably couldn’t have lived with it. But you’ve got to have a bit of quality as well, look after the ball and create opportunities so it’s nice to have scored seven goals in the last two home games.
    “It was important we got back-to-back wins as it builds confidence, and it keeps us in touch [with the clubs above us]. Hopefully we can keep pegging teams back now.”

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Rave reviews about his technique and comfortability on the ball..

Which was evident in pre season and qualifiers..

Down in England smashing it already. This is why we should have all our boy's going down, as we're likely to get a decent fee at the very least now..

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Young centre-back Eoghan O’Connell is thoroughly enjoying his time with the club.
    The 21-year-old is yet to taste defeat since joining on loan from Celtic last month, helping the Saddlers record three wins and two draws.
    And the powerful defender, who has played every minute of our last five matches, is pleased with how things are going.
    “I’m really enjoying it so far,” said O’Connell. “I came in to play games and I’m happy that I’ve been able to do that.
    “I was a little apprehensive going into my first game [against Sheffield United] as I hadn’t played for a while, but we put in a great performance to beat the league leaders.
    “The standard has been good and it has been great to test myself against different styles; Sheffield United were dominant on the ball, while Millwall and Northampton were more direct.
    “We’ve had good results which is the main thing and everyone has put in a good effort, so I’m really happy with how it’s going.”
    The Saddlers have had to come from behind in two of the last three matches – fighting back from 2-0 down to draw with Bury before overturning a one-goal deficit to beat Northampton.
    And O’Connell believes those comebacks show the character and spirit of the squad.
    “On Saturday we were 1-0 down – it was our third game in a week – and it would have been easy for our heads to go down and make excuses,” he added.
    “But we dug it out and got back in the game, which is testament to the character of the group and the performances we’re putting in at the moment.
    “We’ve got two tough away games in a row now but we’ve shown – after playing three games in a week, with two away – that we can play, recover and go again.
    “We’re looking forward to Saturday and we’ll be putting our all into that.”

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think your right there about the clubs attitude in how O'Connell is seen. It will be interesting to see what kind of offer is made. Of course there is the possibility that O'Connell will not want to sign as he may feel he needs to be playing regular first team football at this point in his career so that might be a factor in what happens as well. Bottom line is for me a club Celtic's size with the load of games we play over a season needs 4 recognized center backs in the squad. We have that now with Simunovic, Sviatchenko, Boyata and Toure with Lustig also available if needed. How that will change during the summer if it changes remains to be seen.

19. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    I'm honestly now a bit curious to see if he'll be kept on. Boyata's back, Ajer's been coverted to CB it seems, and McCart's already got an SPL loan. I think Toure will join the backroom next season, so that leaves Sviatchenko, Simunovic, Boyata as the choice CB's. Throw in McCart and Ajer as the developing prospects, and O'Connell is now the only one with no guaranteed contract next season. Not to say he can't get extended, but he was decent enough in UCL qualifiers and never got a look in after that, when even Boyata's found his way back in the fold. I hope he gets a new deal as I think he has talent, but with Ajer and McCart also rated, I'm not as sure about it as I was earlier this season.

20. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We may sell him for a good fee