1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Monchengladbach v. Celtic, Tue 1 Nov, 19:45, BT Sport ESPN / BT Sport Showcase

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Oct 28, 2016.

Discuss Monchengladbach v. Celtic, Tue 1 Nov, 19:45, BT Sport ESPN / BT Sport Showcase in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Gordon - 7
    Gamboa - 7
    Lustig - 7
    Erik - 7
    Izzy - 8
    Brown - 9
    Armstrong - 7
    Rogic - 7 (would've gave a 6 )
    Sinclair - 8
    Forrest - 7 (would've gave a 6)
    Dembele - 8

Roberts - 7
    Mcgregor - 7
    Hendo - 7

2. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Thought they did great until they scored and then they bottled it. I will never forgive that wee fud McGregor for missing that chance. Still a great game and proud as punch on the whole.

It's all about opinions mind you - phoned ma old man and he thought they were terrible.

3. Roskopicachu

MacGregor's chance wasn't so easy. He's up against a really top class keeper, stayed big and came out fast. Still all to play for. Last two games are semi final/final standard. Right now we're not in the same class as those two, but we can compete. Psychologically it's a tough one for the players to take. Chances were there to play through them, but it just didn't work out.

Small steps, draw away is progress, not much travelling to Manchester and it might come down to that last game. As long as we've something to play for in the last game, i'll be happy.

Great effort from the bhoys.

4. doctor venglos

BMG still looked dangerous even with ten men, getting a point here was an immense achievement.
    Two games to go, anything could happen, and hopefully we have Griffiths, Jozo, Lustig and Toure back.

5. Bonobhoy

totally agree..the germans were good and not taking the point away at all....its just something like this is the reason why teams stay and go home

6. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    Have to disagree. Pat Bonner is the definition of bias. Tom English gave us great credit too. At times, we did ride our luck, but in Europe you have to.

BM were an excellent side, far superior to anything we will see domestically. We played well and passed the ball when required instead of playing like frightened boys and hoofing it up the park. That is a big step. We are competing in the Champions League.

The only draw back is we may exit too soon. I would like to get into the Europa League and play more away gamed at the likes of BM to build on those foundations. Next October is a long way away. We need to be playing at a higher level consistently to progress.

7. jordan_

City have already pumped them and cant see anything different in two weeks time sadly. KDB/Gundongan/Aguero special talents. tonight was are big chance, yes a point is a great result just a bit sour with how it finished.

was i missing something tonight or was Lustig not playing :56: think we missed Jozo a lot, possibly Tierney but fairly impressed with how Izzy played tonight (bar * about at the end)

8. doctor venglos

Think they all played well tonight but Gamboa is the weak link for me, especially at this level.
    I don't think it is a night to be too over critical given we got a terrific point, but there are lessons to be drawn like from every game.
    If only we could get James McCarthy in January.

9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    As much as I would love it, absolutely no chance given the money on offer down there.

10. doctor venglos

Well maybe we could downsize a wee bit for John McGinn ?

chiefo likes this.
  11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I would take McGinn in a minute, and I'm not joking, he is a young talent that can put it about when it matters

blizzard bhoy likes this.
  12. jordan_

Unless we can match the 60k a week wage, no chance. To this day no idea why we never put a bid in when he was with Hamilton. Shame, the boy loves the celtic & so do his family.

Just saw a clip of Ozils goal, we could do with a player like that in Europe!

13. James Gold Member Gold Member

I find it hard to be disapointed tbh we have already went well beyond my expectations in Europe I though it was curtains when we drew Astana. This year is essentially a free go at it for me and I'm never that guy I usually think we should be beating anyone no matter who it is. In context tonight is massive we have went away from home in Europe and more than matched a top team. This time last year we were chasing Aberdeen in the league now we're gutted at only drawing against a Bundesliga side.

The difference between this year and the last few is that the progression is evident and not only spoken about

Random Review likes this.
  14. James Gold Member Gold Member

So would I and I would have snapped him up on a free form St Mirren he's the only player in Scotland I would take

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  15. Brian Clarke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk on
    think it's the other way about game 5 we got Barca, game 6 is at the etihad

16. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Pleasing display and satisfying result. I thought the draw was a fair result. It was an interesting game with two teams willing to get the ball down and knock it around. Indeed similar styles of football and player types.

For me Gladbach are better when it comes to ball retention and also positioning of players with the ball. Don't get me wrong, I thought we kept the ball pretty well, but at times a number of players were sloppy with passes and teammates with the positions they took up. Also we're missing that final ball or bit of individual quality that will open up teams, for example the McGregor opportunity came from tidy play and a bit of quality invention from Roberts. This level is a massive step up from the all out defence styles and quality of player we face domestically. We're just coming up short against that bit more quality.

However the progression is pleasing.

Defensively, we done well considering the alterations that we had to make. Gorodn had 2 or 3 good stops and could possibly have got something on the Stindl goal(convinced it took a deflection off Lustig). 3 changes out of 4 positions and it was exposed on the Gladbach goal. Although I thought Hartson was spot on to include the part of the midfielders in his analysis of the goal at half time. Midfield worked hard all night, Armstrong done a power of running as did Brown. Rogic flitted in and out of the game,shown some good touches but not in the areas where he is a danger.Forrest spent most of the time on the back foot, had one positive run in the 2nd half before being replaced. Sinclair was unlucky not to score for the 2nd game running with a fine effort 1st half. Supported Dembele well, his pace and dribbling ability helps get us out of defensive situations and up the field. Dembele took his penalty well. Ball was bouncing off him early on but improved as the game went on. Harsh decision by the ref in the 2nd half when he rode two fouls and held off Vestergaard, only for the ref to blow for a foul as he broke toward the Gladbach goal.

Subs came on and contributed. McGregor replaced Rogic(with the way the game unfolded, a reversal of this sub might have been more fruitful in the situation)and matched the workload of his colleagues Brown and Armstrong. Missed a good opportunity to win the game late-on. Roberts set up that opportunity with a fine back heel and contributed with some good runs which attracted the attention of two Gladbach players at times. Henderson for Gamboa as we pushed for the wining goal. Had an effort on goal which should have been a corner. Didn't have much time on the field and also we had near enough went to 5 up front at that point. Given we had full availability and the game situation, Griffiths would have probably featured before both Henderson and McGregor. However both acquitted themselves well.

As for Galdbach, not as impressive as they were 2 weeks ago. However impressive on the ball and also thought they were impressive in maintaing their shape when they went a man down.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  17. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    To be honest, i never thought we would get a point in this campaign. Effectively we are out.....but you never know. They have all done us proud and came back well from that 7-0 mauling.

Decent platform to build on, and also id say we have done more than impress for any prospective target watching come the next transfer windows.

18. Dr. Frasier Crane

Before the game I would have bit your arm off for a point, but having spoke to a couple of people it sounds like we really could have taken all 3 in the end. Hard to be disappointed at any kind of result in Germany though.

19. Wizard of Oz

Sorry Barca. Looks like we'll have to just beat you then.

20. jamiebhoy67

Strange game so proud of the team and fans at times we were really playing well at other times we really sloppy some of the heart and desire was brilliant to see but we need to move the ball faster we were pish during some periods of the game but i don't say that lightly we werent at our best is probably the best way to put it never thought i would have didsapointed with a point away in Germany