1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

"Brendan Can't Cut It In Europe"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ScouseHoops, Oct 19, 2016.

Discuss "Brendan Can't Cut It In Europe" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

I remember reading during his time at lfc that he was good setting his team up going forward but not so good defensively. I agreed with that at the time and still do, for the most part, now. We will struggle in europe most of the time due to finances so unfair to suggest he cant do it in europe with quality of player we will attract to the club atm.

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That bit in bold is very unrealistic. I hate threads like this, because I always end up slagging Deila off, but let's not bullshit here: Deila's record in Europe is amongst the worst in the modern era. I genuinely can't remember the last time we had a team that off the pace in Europe. Possibly mid 90's.

For Rodgers to take over that and only have 4 months with the players and one transfer window to start the long process of building his own team and actually get us to the CL is already an achievement. We always have a chance at home, but to say we should beat the team that finished third in the Bundesliga is grossly unfair.

So, yes, Rodgers can't cut it in Europe, if by that you mean he's not the Miracle Fairy; on the other hand, if you judge him by more realistic standards, he's doing very well.

* For the record I think Deila was the right appointment, got a lot right and put things in place that will benefit us long term. I know that's a minority view and this isn't the place for that discussion. I just want to make clear that I'm not dissing Deila as a manager, only his ability to set us up for Europe.

Swervedancer likes this.
  3. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Even if Pep was a * Celtic fan doesn't mean he would manage us. Brendan was the manager of one of the biggest clubs in England and almost won the premier league, of course we're lucky to have him.

Swervedancer and Random Review like this.
  4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Scousehoops is a WUM right? Only explanation for the rivers of pish emanating from his keyboard.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

As long as Brendan qualifies for the CL he is filling his remit as Celtic manager, it's as simple as that.

He is doing a great job and we are lucky to have him.

Random Review and Jeannie960 like this.
  6. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    People really are unrealistic. I also can't believe the OP's question as BR is barely any time in the job here for us to give such an opinion. Nevertheless I optimistically said yes. Instant success in the CL is a bit of dream tbh. We have a long long way to go. There are still a few passengers in our team who're nowhere near that level and never will be and until BR gets in all the players he needs we will still struggle at that level. He has to work with what he has and he's done an amazing job so far but you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Ultimately it will come down to how far the board want to back him because I think he's the real deal and maybe more than the Celtic board deserve. As SD says his remit is to qualify for CL football but imo anything further hasn't really been expected in recent years. The board imo wanted to rake in the initial millions but had no real expectation of going further so weren't willing to commit. I hope it's different with Brendan.

Random Review likes this.
  7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I genuinely think we are not that far away. I really like the look of this:

GK
    Lustig Toure Sviatchenko Tierney
    Broony DCM
    RW Rogic Sinclair
    Dembele
    That to my mind is a competitive CL team that can fight for 2nd or 3rd in most groups. The experience everyone except Toure, Lustig and Broony (who already have plenty) will gain from this campaign, a full year working with Rodgers and Davies and taking on board their ideas, an extra (very important) year's development for Rogic and Dembele (who are both still quite inexperienced) plus two productive windows and we could easily be competitive as early as next season!

Is it unrealistic to look at that and think that adding Ledley or someone similar, getting an extra year on loan for Roberts and a new GK and we're there?

Jeannie960 likes this.
  8. Mulgrew

Fav Celtic Player:
    Have a guess
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    He needs another summer to strengthen the squad

If he gets the right people in, we'll do better next season I think

9. Moussa10

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time: Larsson Current: Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    just * off, this thread needs closing down

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It's like the knives have been sharpened in preparation for a poor result, wait until we drop points in a Huns game - there will be plenty of stats waiting in the wings to be recited about his Everton and United results at Liverpool.

He's had 1 window and we've came out it with Toure, Dembele and Sinclair who are all sure-fire first team players that have made a massive difference to the team. That's some start.

11. Mulgrew

Fav Celtic Player:
    Have a guess
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    He had a very good record against Everton as Liverpool manager, never lost to them in any competition

Didn't he do the double over United in 13/14 as well?

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I have no idea - I really couldn't GAF about his Liverpool results other than to know he's a good manager that plays a good brand of football!

13. Mulgrew

Fav Celtic Player:
    Have a guess
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    I'm just debunking those theories before they even start to be honest

He didn't look phased one iota in his first match with that lot, nor do I expect him to be on Sunday

As for Europe, he's qualified us for the Group Stages, which is enough for him this season. Anything else is a bonus

I'm confident he can have us in the knock outs eventually, so I think he can certainly "cut it" in Europe, but he'll need to be backed in upcoming windows

14. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    His job is getting us to the group stages which he done in his 1st season something our last 2 managers failed too do
    Our group is one of the toughest we've ever had 2 of Europe's most expensive sides and a dangerous German team
    Brendan with a bit of luck will guide us to a knockout stage it's just gonna take heavy investment in the midfield and a bit of luck with the groups

15. Sween

Celtic have only dropped points domestically once this season to ICT. That was because on that given day they played very well by their standards, rode their luck, and celtic didnt play to their best. But it would be quite unrealistic for ICT fans to argue 'whats the point of playing in the SPFL if we arent going to even try and challenge Celtic for the title'. Because finances in tidays game simply dont allow it

In any one off game any team can get a result off any team. But when you are against teams for can buy and sell your squad multiple times over you have to concede that there is little realistic chance of success almost over any sustained period.

Depressing as it sounds there is a clear ceiling as regards progression for teams like celtic in the champions league. It has been set up to be like that. So while we may aim for 3rd in the group or even last 16 over a few seasons, that shouldnt be considered normal nor expected. That represents the absolute best realistic achievement and it will take a while to get there.

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I avoided the site after the game until today. And it is threads like this that kept me away. 6 months into building and moulding his own squad and someone spouts *.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I hate the idea of joining the EPL, as it would completely change our club (and mostly not in a good way). I actually wouldn't mind this "Nordic League" idea if not for the fact that the travel costs would probably mean an end to our away support as we know it today. Staying in Scotland means everything you just said. All in all, I think the SPL is probably the best of a bad bunch of options TBH.

18. Mulgrew

Fav Celtic Player:
    Have a guess
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    Nowt wrong with being a Celt with Everton sympathies either btw :bye1:

I suppose you could root for the other lot across the park, but I couldn't imagine why you'd want to

It's strange being in a position where I actually want Brendan to do well, but I have to admit he's done an excellent job thus far

We're comfortable domestically and I think he's got more to give in Europe. He just needs backing from the board so he can bring a few more players in

19. Mannix

You're Kopite mates are clueless. Rodgers came closer than anyone in the last 20 odd years to win the league for Liverpool. They won't win it with Klopp either.

Rodgers has got us to the CL at the first time of asking and we have to learn how to operate at that level again. Also if we were in any other Group we'd be in with a shout of qualifying or finishing 3rd.

* Liverpool fans the most deluded in the entire world of football. When they got to the EL Final last year and with a CL spot as a bonus prize they bottled it big time.

20. Mannix

Also Celtic fans should side with Everton as the club of choice in Liverpool.

ScouseHoops likes this.