1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Celtic vs Gladbach 19/10/16 19:45

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CelticKurd, Oct 15, 2016.

Discuss Celtic vs Gladbach 19/10/16 19:45 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Just got in. Don't know why everyone seems to be saying monchengladbach were class. They were decent and that's it. We were just very below par. There wasn't a moment in the game where I was sitting there thinking "wow they're a top class side."

2. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    It was an off night, and that is what he should be saying, not praising them for giving everything. He has put BM on a pedestal they dont deserve. (imo)

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Thank *. I thought I was starting to go doolally.

They're a good side, they got to the Champions League from the Bundesliga ffs. We did nothing to stop them though, a below par performance.

Celtic_renard and mygirlmaria like this.
  4. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley

sadly, i agree with your take on the match. It's too easy to forget about the oppositions play when they haven't got the ball! I thought we did try and press but from early on i think we got the fear because their pressure on us caused mistakes and they opened us up time and time again with ease. Sometimes got to give them credit rather than be too critical of our own boys!! Constant pressure like that and usually something has to give....slighest lapse and you're *. more or less what Kolo admitted to i thought!

5. joemc

thier movement and passing was great and id say not many teams have come to cp and played as well as them ,they were strong in the tackle and won most of the 50 50s ,we have stepped up a level ourselves ,when we pressed we anticipated the next move and pressed that area,i liked that ,but we needed another man in midfield to help out ,bitton is not a deffensive mid ,and does not have the pace or energy for this type of pressing play .

6. Borussia1975

Fav Celtic Player:
    Willie McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail Over and over
    100% agree. I was very surprised 'bout the way Borussia played tbh. But Schubert was probably acting from necessity with four main players missing.
    I didn't see Celtic playing too poorly, esp. Kolo. He was holding the defence together while also having to try to feed central midfield, which was only partly existent. But 4, 5 players were sub standard and in CL you get punished.

7. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Have to say I thought that was as good a team performance since Villarreal in the UEFA Cup, Riquelme era.

Kept the ball well and kept it under pressure(had a moment 1st half where they played from deep in the right back area to the edge of our box. Beating our pressing at every turn).Miles in front of us in terms of technique, seem to string passes together at will. We struggled to make 5 passes.

You could say we underperformed, but it was Gladbach that made us play that way. They dominated the midfield area and dictated how we attacked. Boxed us out in advanced positions, forced the play back and gave us no room to play through the lines(prime example was when in the 2nd half to counter Brown dropping deep they played a line of 3 between our defence and midfield. Challenging our defenders to find the gap. 2nd goal came from such a situation). The only occasion we managed to play between them, was when Rogic played in Sinclair just before half time. It was a flash of the quality we can produce. Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce that quality at all for the rest of the game. Lustig and Tierney were starved of options in front of them, more often than not playing backwards or forcing the ball towards Dembele. Sinclair and Forrest were ineffective. Dembele was handled well by Elvedi and Vestergaard, when he did get free, it was the Dembele of earlier in the season and not of previous weeks.

Toure made the mistakes but in all honesty, as a group every player was off the pace.

8. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    They weren't miles better but they were superior and sadly we never turned up. They were playing wee 1-2s and triangles all over the place, I hope we learn something from that because frankly that movement, passing and precision is what I want from Celtic.

Beaten by a better and much richer team, annoying but you have to accept it in the Champions League. Their fans were absolute class, best away support at Parkhead for years. Met a few Germans in town and they were all sound, none of them were expecting a win so sometimes you can't begrudge another team some glory. Still early days under Rodgers and after the last couple of years we shouldn't be expecting to win every European game by some divine right, we have to earn every point.

Swervedancer and Borussia1975 like this.
  9. Cmcgregor90

class! had this been in the opposite corner then the polis would have been right in there .... they all stood back and just watched it happen! Shortly after this they raided in on the section trying to lift a lad or whatever... anyone shed any light at what happend

10. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    There was a load of guys fighting. Seems to have been caused by a group of wee drunk fannies pushing in where they shouldn't have been, getting mouthy and then trying to light a firework or something, and it then kicking off. I'm up the back of the standing section so only saw the fighting but have pieced that info together from forums after the game - so don't take it as gospel

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Seen a few folk say it was down to a few muppets the fighting.

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We never really got into the game, were dominated from start to finish which can always happen against better sides than us. Can't really fault theplayers or tactics, had Rogic went off for McGregor at HT to give us more stability in centre-mid it would have been a backwards move as to have any hope of getting goals we need Rogic and Dembele to both perform.

Kolo could have done better at the goals but we were under that much pressure that they were probably going to get goals at some point.

Swervedancer likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Swervedancer likes this.
  14. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
  15. BruceLeeBhoy

We were below par and they were very well organised, kept the ball well and gave us some problems which we failed to deal with.

Although, it was individual errors that cost us the 2 goals toure had 2 lapses and bang we are 2 goals down.

We didn't really turn up tonight but thats fitba'

We are far from out of this though thanks to barca winning all their games if they can go and beat city away and we miraculously do the same against BMG we will be 2nd with 2 to play.

We could potentially be in the position of only having to beat Barca at home for european games after Christmas.

Lose the next game and we are pretty much *

ScouseHoops likes this.
  16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

They were good, how well they pressed and kept their shape, a very good 442 system that they adapted as the game went on, their captain bossed our midfield and they played smart. Certainly nothing special but a level above us that we need to be able to raise to. We got taught a lesson.

17. Minimalist

Not good enough performance from us, I felt let down by Rodgers and majority of the Players.

We played their game plan.

Our ball retention was hardly shifted to forward due to the intimidation of Gladbachs gegenpress, which is ironic considering we never had any issues with this against Man City. That is unacceptable. Clearly not committed enough going forward and judging by Rodgers reaction after the game he never said anything on it which gives myself the feeling that wasn't a priority, incredible when going forward has seen our goals compose.

Also, we got caught up far too much in possession, even when there wasn't any presence of Gladbachs players. It was if our players were more concentrating on not losing the ball than actually being direct to free man and creating chances. Disappointed watching that - makes it so frustrating. Bitton was hugely at getting caught up in possession and it wasn't just a few times either it was consistent, over and over again. He shouldn't have been brought off at half-time not 63' minutes in.

Two of the goals were easily given away especially the second goal with Toure making an antagonising error by being sloppy. Given his experience you wouldn't expect what he did but it happened which leaves me thinking this could happen in the future from him. Not happy either with his performance.

Apparently we made 54% of the possession of the game, with 10 chances, 9 wasted and 1 on target. Compared to Gladbachs 13 and 6 on target just sums up the difference that they were more clinical, disciplined and eager than us. Makes it even more sad that this result was at Home.

Only positives were Sinclair, Sviatchenko and Roberts.

Sinclair was literally occupying space not only wide in his area but central when the midfield was struggling to play its way out just over the half-way line. I didn't see any sort of action similar from Forrest, but I sense that was partly due to his reason being substituted. I feel that Sinclair should have converted the chance he got on the left - beating their right back - then putting it way over the bar, he should have done a lot better.
    Sviatchenko for me was tidy throughout the game and not a thing he done wrong. Was very vital when Gladbach penetrated through our back line with two challenges which were almost certain they looked like they were going to score. Also, our corners are dedicated for him to be the first man to header it across the face of the goal or either take it on completely by himself, none of that worked.
    Although, Roberts had around 20' minutes of game time he looked well above the standard down that right area. I think took on three players and went by them no problem, that was outstanding to witness and clearly a option Rodgers should have used earlier on. His tracking back was also on point, again, he should have been put on earlier.

That is Gladbachs first Away win since 1977, while considering that some of their best players weren't playing. So, it looks like we won't be expecting anything away like I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Really let down and frustrated. Should have done better Celtic.

18. fuctifano1888

Can't blame toure. We were out played, by a well organized team. Our back 4 never had the opportunity to play an unchallenged ball forward. I think Brendan knows what we need in midfield, he just needs the time and support from the club to purchase a midfielder that can create time and space to help dictatethe game. I felt sorry for BR because everyone could see that bitton was out his depth but who do you bring on. Mcgregor?

19. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It is what it is. Think their class in central midfield showed while we had Bitton.

I also think for as good as Forrest has been, his lack of awareness in regards to playing as an inside forward will hold us back. None of the top teams play with conventional wingers. Messi, Neymar, Robben etc and in our case, Sinclair all have that ability to be lethal as a centre forward when they come inside.

20. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    /Cringe

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gal...gical-again-celtic-totally-overmatched-101916

Celtic just can't hang in the Champions League
    Borussia Monchengladbach were missing half of their starting lineup and playing at Celtic Park. It looked like they were primed to drop points, but they had no problem against Celtic. They probably should have won by four or five goals, even. Still, they’ll happily take their three points back to Germany and it’s fair to ask if Celtic even belong at this point in the competition. They’re in a tough group, but 12 goals conceded from three matches and being dominated by a half-strength Gladbach side in Scotland has made it clear that they are way out of their depth.