1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dáibhí, Jul 13, 2014.

Discuss The NFL Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    A lot of the NFL network reporters basically hinted towards the comments you made Markybhoy, as the final straw for Harbaugh with regards to Trestman. Harbaughs statement said it all, " Have to do what's best for the team".

2. Towardinho

Excellent once again from the Vikes, can go into the bye week happy and get a few guys fit. Still missing Shariff Floyd on the D line, back in another 3/4 weeks hopefully. I still dont think the offence has got up and running yet. The D cant play this well all year but, my word, Ive never seen a Vikes D this good or dominant. Zimmer is a magician.....SKOL

3. Towardinho

Stuck with Rivers, did a decent job despite the turnovers. With Chargers being pump I figure he will throw it a lot....

4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

At this point I think the Las Vegas option looks the most likely and staying in Oakland the least likely to happen. The Chargers have first option on moving to LA to join the Rams and given how badly they are doing this year and all the local opposition to their upcoming vote for public funds to be part of a new stadium in San Diego it is hard to see them not moving to LA next year. Which would all but seal the Raiders moving to Vegas I would think. Beyond all that though 4-1 for the Raiders so far and doing it in gambling fashion (winning on a 2 point conversion, throwing a TD on 4 and 2 etc) to put it mildly so maybe its in the cards:) that the Raiders move to Vegas.

5. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

THE BRONCOS LOSE........ THE BRONCOS LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

Overkill187 likes this.
  6. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Apart from Celtic. I look forward to watching NFL that any other sport at the minute. I couldn't care less for the English premier league games on sky. But I will watch any two NFL teams play each other.

I bought Game pass for the first time this year too and have it hooked up to my xbox one. I work from home so have NFL Network and NFL Now on in the background everyday, usually watching about 5 hours a day. Which is probably why I have a decent fantasy team for the first time in three seasons.

Really looking forward to tomorrow. The Saints will probably get another pumping but oh well. I wonder how many Superb Owls Drew Brees could of won with an average defence....

Edit: I've also just ordered some colour rush shirts off Aliexpress. Cannot wait for them to come! £24 each, much better than £100 that NFL Europe were asking for.

Marty McFly likes this.
  7. Mack

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Any links for the aliexpress shop bud, I've been trying to get a new Raiders jersey to replace my old one and all them seem to have been removed.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's quite hard to stay up to date with this due to some of the times games are on. Think it's a sport you need to invest a fair bit of time into.

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This is the first year I've really made an effort to try to follow it. Since getting Sportsmania I've found it so much easier, as @PeeKay said, NFL Now and Redzone are great and have helped me get to know the game better. Also, I have the Jets app for my iphone, the content is brilliant and it's updated very regularly. Wish Celtic had as much behind the scenes stuff available to all.

10. Markybhoy

:rip_1: Dennis Byrd.

I remember watching him play. He suffered a broken back while playing and doctors said he would never walk again. He was back on his feet within weeks.

[​IMG]

11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yeah @Markybhoy, you've made me look into it more. What a guy. RIP :54:

Dennis Byrd, the soft-spoken, salt-of-the-earth Oklahoman whose short career as a Jets defensive lineman and inspirational fight in overcoming a paralyzing on-field injury in 1992 led to his uniform number 90 being retired by the team in 2012, was killed this morning in a two-vehicle collision in Oklahoma. He had turned 50 last week.

Byrd was pronounced dead at the scene due to massive injuries from the collision. The Tulsa World cited an Oklahoma Highway Patrol report that said the crash occurred when a 17-year-old youth from Claremore, OK, driving a 2000 Ford Explorer north on Oklahoma Route 88 veered into the oncoming lane, striking a 2004 Hummer H2 driven by Byrd.

Jets Owner Woody Johnson late Saturday said in a statement:

"We are all devastated by the untimely loss of Dennis Byrd. Soft-spoken and strong-willed, the inspiration he provided to all not only by his play on the field but from the way he overcame life’s obstacles was remarkable by any measure. His impact on the New York Jets and the many lives he touched will never be forgotten."

Byrd was the Jets' second-round selection in the 1989 NFL Draft out of Tulsa. He had no starts as a rookie backup but still compiled seven sacks. Then, lining up as the starter at the Eagle tackle position and at end in then-coordinator Pete Carroll's defense, erupted for 13 sacks in '90 and seven more in '91.
    In Jets history, 27 sacks by a player at any position in his first three seasons had been bettered only two other times. DE Mark Gastineau had 33.5 sacks from 1979-81 and DE John Abraham had 27.5 sacks from 2000-02.

[​IMG]
    Photo Gallery: Remembering Jets Legend Dennis Byrd

But the humble yet relentless 6'5", 270-pounder's exploits on the football field came to an end on Nov. 29, 1992, when he collided with teammate Scott Mersereau as they tried to converge on Chiefs QB Dave Krieg in the pocket.

Byrd crashed into Mersereau's chest, breaking a vertebra and injuring his spine. Doctors, trainers and EMTs cut his uniform from his body and worked to save his life and get him to the hospital.

It took him almost a year, but Byrd slowly recovered from his traumatic injuries and arrived at Meadowlands Stadium on Sept. 5, 1993, where he walked unsteadily but unaided onto the field to be honored by the Jets and to thank the fans for their support at the Jets-Broncos season opener.

He returned to training camp for a visit in the late Nineties, and in early 2011 he was asked to speak to the Jets at the team hotel the night before they went out and defeated the Patriots in the AFC Divisional Round playoff game at Gillette Stadium.

Then came his uniform retirement Oct. 28, 2012, at MetLife Stadium at halftime of the Jets-Dolphins game. The week before the ceremony, he told reporters and fans his emotions.

"It's just a tremendous honor to be recognized by the Jets, to have that number retired," Byrd said. "It's meant a lot to me as a player and it means a great deal to me since I've been retired. And it's been an honor the way it's been done. I'm very excited, I'm looking forward to coming back to New York and spending the weekend there and to the ceremony."

[​IMG]

He spoke about what the number meant to him going all the way back to his Oklahoma scholastic days.

"When I was in high school, my older brother, Dan, wore No. 90, and he has always been a significant, important part of my life as a young man and as an athlete," Byrd said. "That was not a number I wore in college or in high school, but it was available with the Jets and it was a number that I wanted to wear originally as an acknowledgement to my older brother.

"Then as I wore that number and made it mine for four years playing there in New York, those things become special to a guy. They're your colors, your stripes, your number. It grows with you."

The Jets presented Byrd an award as the team's most inspirational player in 1992 after his injury and have presented the Dennis Byrd Award to the most inspirational Jet every year since then.

In the years since his football career ended, Byrd returned to his home "in the middle of nowhere" in Talala, OK, where he lived with his wife, Angela, and their four children, and he made numerous speaking and ministering engagements.

"I'm a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none," he said with a laugh. "I do enjoy doing that, and I really have loved coaching football and working with kids, talking about the lessons I've learned as an athlete and the journey as someone with a disability. Football has always been, for me, a cornerpost of strength and a way to accomplish things in life, whether it's on the field or just in maintaining a quality of life. All those lessons — dedication, perseverance, teamwork — they all dovetail nicely into living a blessed life."

12. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Always glad to see a fellow Raider. Every now and then I get stuff from the official store, but had also ordered two off some chinese websites. one jersey was top, the other was literally cheap.

13. Mack

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I got a Mack jersey last year so want to get a white Cooper one this year but the official ones are too expensive and aliexpress seem to have removed all the fakes

14. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I order a lot of shirts for me and my mates. Usually a minimum 6 at a time. I have a contact who had an aliexpress page but they have since told me that aliexpress are cutting down on replica shirts and she keeps getting her page closed. I email them whenever I want a shirt and they always deliver. You ask them for something they will give you the link where to order it.

I've spent upwards of £400 with this seller and never had a bad product.

Their email is: aimeesmithjersey@outlook.com if you want to drop them an email and ask for what you want.

She's just send me the pictures of the color rush shirts I have ordered and they look awesome!!

15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Offt Dolphins might actually win a game :88:, * I might have a drink :lager:

16. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  18. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I love being a Saints fan on days like today.

We play some pretty ridiculous games with absolutely loads of points.

I couldn't image being a Rams or Seahawks fan where the majority of the games are low scoring.

Who Dat!

19. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

Colts, Ravens and Broncos all lose in the same week. Life is good once again

20. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Watched Dallas v Green Bay last night.

Rodgers was so bad last night. Looked like he wanted to be anywhere else than on the field. Under throwing routes, over threw Cobb in the end-zone and when he did find his receiver, they struggled to make catches. To top it off, he had a bad fumble close to the goal-line. All this despite receiving some of the best protection I've seen in a game. He had so much time to make decisions, yet often chose the wrong one. Didn't help that Eddie Lacy was playing injured.

The secondary was woeful also. Busted coverages, poor play in 1 v1 situations and missed tackles. Although most teams have struggled to deal with Elliott's running ability. He's been class through these 6 weeks of the season.

Injuries haven't helped the Packers but they've been poor and looks like things have gone stale for Mike McCarthy.