1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Well, The EFL Knocks Us Back... Whats Next?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Minimalist, Sep 22, 2016.

Discuss Well, The EFL Knocks Us Back... Whats Next? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye that's definitely a problem.

2. wulliebad

Think even the Atlantic league idea is just pie in the sky and never happen.
    trapped in the spl run by morons.....kind of bleak outlook.

3. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

Personally I dont want anything to do with the EPL or anything to do with the English leagues however the recent defeat in the CL shows there is an ever widening gap between us and the big money boys of Europe. I was in Dublin getting my hair cut the other week and the barber who is a tottenham fan. He put it in perspective, the big teams are now signing all the best players rather than them being spread out a bit which is causing the same teams year in year out in the CL quarters, semis and finals. Making it boring as.

I am all for the smaller nations getting together and figuring out a way an Atlantic league would work best for all of us. Its a much better option than going down south.

The recent changes to the CL which on the face of it is going to make it even harder for us to qualify is only going to get worse. The big money leagues and the big money teams are going to want more and more and more.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We moan about going up to the Highlands (to play dross) after European game's. Imagine Astana and then away to Lisbon/Benfica for a league game, or Rotterdam/Feyenoord..

5. Markybhoy

Yeah I agree it's not workable. It's taking the club too far away from the fans.

6. Tulf

A lot of the * with football would be solved if there were proper limitations on spending put into place.

7. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i got a simple fix for this ban the prolification of foreign domestic football on our tvs in scotland, belgium, holland, scandinavia, denmark, russia, czech, portugal e.t.c.

if we hadnt allowed this to go this far far more young people would be watching our domstic games or even dare i say it signing up to a scottish tv deal but instead they are choosing the epl, la liga, german, italian leagues

we are losing all our next generations to these foreign football clubs and leagues and filling their coffers with money whilst actively degrading and defunding our own scottish domestic teams

this would deny these foreign leagues and the likes of sky sports money we wouldnt be hastening our own demise

this would curtail the ambitions of the superleagues and make it fairer for all whilst allowing each of the smaller nations and leagues a decent chance by stopping the rich get richer, its imperialistic the way the football is going smaller leagues are being disenfranchised by the rich with clever marketing and in scandalous favour of the bigger nations

you got to ask yourself what does sky sports bt sports offer scottish football compared to what it takes away, i think the like of sky threatens our game with extinction

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  8. Bunk Moreland

Or we could enter deals with several other European leagues to sell their TV rights along with our own in our own domestic market. For example, an agreement in place with the Scottish, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish and Danish leagues where they all sell a 5 league package to the TV companies in their countries instead of just trying to sell their own product. Each league would then keep the revenue they generate from their own TV deal. Each country would make far more money selling 5 leagues to the broadcasters rather than 1 coupled with the fact it's extra exposure for each league in 4 other countries. It would certainly give us a lot more clout when negotiating TV deals.

9. Celtic_cologne

Who cares. Celtic is scottish with irish roots. Never heard of any bounds with England other than our board being greedy money loving * that would love to be part of ano hyper inflated tv deal.

10. pLUSpISTOL

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm content with competing in Scotland but would jump at the chance of an Atlantic League. Times are changing and we're being gradually left behind as it stands. I think it would benefit Scottish football as a whole.

11. oh bhoy

Get 5 leagues interested ,10 teams in top league of each country top 2 to qualify for Atlantic league .ten teams in each domestic league play each other twice ,domestic league wrapped up before Christmas play all cup games after even throw in an atlantic cup ,ten teams in Atlantic league play each other twice .
    Personally I think it would be more interesting and would be a direct threat to champions league and Europa league which is why it would be opposed by uefa .since the champions league is skewed towards getting as many teams from the so called big leagues and while they are meeting to try and get permanent spots and until they do away with the bonkers seeding I'd say * them until a fairer system is introduced ,I'm fed up with watching the same story in Europe every year.
    * joining the English league being part of the problem ain't a solution

12. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I always liked the idea of the Atlantic where the other teams need us as much as we need them. Maybe with less away support we will get a bigger and more vocal home support for all games.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

so the rest of the scottish premiership outside the top 2 have only 18 league games and a few cup games, they would refuse that, wanting at least to play the same amount of games they are at the moment and make at least the same money preferably more

incidently why dont we take a leaf of englands book and bring big junior/* teams setups into the proffessional setup

surely these junior clubs could compete with league 2 sides personally i think they also need to be brought into the pyramid of senior scottish football

14. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Am happy in Scotland.

15. Heb Celt

Still on the journey then?

16. oh bhoy

3rd and4th possibly form Atlantic league 2 They could have league and knock out in the cups .home and away say six or so games per cup with teams involved entering at a later stage ,let's, not forget the mighty ramsden cup .it couldn't be any worse than the present set up.it shouldn't be a straight choice between Scottish football or Atlantic league when there could be both

17. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Another pish thread on this old chestnut, this one being particularly * in the respect as has already been pointed out no one has been knocked back from anything.

Even the expression "Atlantic League" sounds cringeworthy let alone it's merits

18. Nasser

I struggle to get excited about playing the likes of St Johnstone and Partick Thistle 3 times a season for me SPL even with the team I love in is one of the most boring pish leagues around. I might watch the odd Scottish league or cup game without Celtic in like Hearts vs Hibs but * would I never contemplate watching a league game between the likes of Kilmarnock vs Inverness or Hamilton and so on just so dire.

19. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

the move to playing a team 4 games a season has been disastrous for the lower levels of scottish football and i cant understand why that was done other than to keep the money between the top 10 clubs and out of the hand of the next 8 which was a * way to treat them other clubs i dont know any other league in the world that plays each other 2x at home and 2x away

it was a poor decision and should be reversed but even though people have been saying it for 30 odd years it never seems to happen cause the big clubs will lose money, lose money that was never theirs to begin with as the league was changed to give them more money, much like what the big countries clubs in the champions league are doing keeping the increasing the revenue to each of their countries, keeping the money in the family, instead of the riches dripping down to the rest

20. KingArtur'1

alot of junior clubs arent interested in going into the pyramid unfortunately....my local team kilbirnie ladeside are one whos supporters are keen to move into pyramid via the lowland league but most other clubs dont fancy it.

if Ladeside,Auchinleck,Irvine Meadow,Pollok,Linlithgow,Bonnyrigg,Bo'ness if a few of them moved then maybe would get a chain reaction following it.