1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What we learn from tonight

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CelticKurd, Sep 13, 2016.

Discuss What we learn from tonight in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DWZ7

People have obviously taken a lot of what I posted previously out of context.

Yeah we got hammered by Barca. I don't think it was just them being on "fire" rather our lack of substance.

Rating Gamboa after one game, you can look at a player and see they aren't up to standard over one game, the difference is mistakes and skill, skill you have, mistakes you make, coming into a team you make mistakes, but if the skill isn't there it isn't there doesn't matter if it's one game or 10.

Talking about world class players coming to Scotland, decent players go to China etc.

Most missed the point. Building a strong team adds value to the club makes the brand worth more. The better Celtic do on a European stage the higher their stock rises, which means more interest in the SPL, means more bargaining power if the club decided to join the EPL, a team that successfully goes through to the last 16 regularly or even further in the CL has a VERY strong case for walking into the EPL, what doesn't command that and is offered entry via a 5th Division is a team that struggles to get a few points. A better team makes more money in the long run, outside interest etc. Shirt sales, advertising, TV money all correlates to the performance of the team in Europe.

If you think that spending money would make us beat Barca sadly you missed the point. But being beat 3-0 as opposed to 7-0 raises our stock significantly. I'm saying to spend money to invest and grow the team and club now to be more competitive now and in the future.

5-7 years ago we were a far better team and had far better showings in Europe, why the * is everyone on here okay with that? Such a steep decline in a short time?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016
  2. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    We are a very big fish in a very small pond domestically ?

3. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    that barca have yet again peaked too early (and they had to) and it'll be them we're scrapping with for a EL spot.:rolleyes:

seriously- * all other than my worst fears about bitton are coming true! harsh to judge even gamboa imo.

4. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

they did set out to give us an absolute hiding for some reason. I'm convinced thats why they made so many changes at the weekend. To allow them to be as fresh as possible in order to give out as big a doing as possible. Pretty sure they wouldn't have made those wholesale changes because they thought we were going to be any sort of threat to them
    most folk think last night was a reaction from them after what happened at the weekend, I honestly think it was calculated.
    Used to like Fc Barcelona a bit, now I actually despise them. Would gladly see a chasm open up under the * "new field" and swallow the whole lot of them, *.
    * them, * them in the ear, * them in the other ear.

5. Dubliner1

rudebhoy - agree 100% correct. I've got NO time for Barca

6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hope the Spanish government say to the Catalans "Shut up about Catalonian independence. You were, are and forever will be our *"

* Barcelona.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    :56:

FS, lads. No need to go in a huff because we got humped by a far superior side.

8. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    We came up against a team valued at a conservative £600m+, TV money has all but eradicated European football shocks.

9. doctor venglos

I've learned like most folk after this Barcelona game that we should have signed two defensive midfielders in the last transfer window.
    I have suggested it before as a stop gap measure with the resources we currently have at our disposal, and to try and shore up our defence for the remaining Champions League games, is to try Sviatchenko in the DM role.

I think it could work, and Sviatchenko could play the DM role effectively, with Toure, Simunovic and Lustig and O'Connel being rotated in the CB roles.
    It would also add a bit of steel, experience and protection to the back line, at least until the next January Transfer Window.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The need for a DM is glaringly obvious..

Sviatchenko in there tho, Dr No.. He's not mobile enough..

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Some results from around Europe the past 24 hours puts ours into perspective.

Legia just humped at home 6-0 by Dortmund and Gladbach have been tanned 4-0 away against City, should really have been 6 or 7 as well.

Both those sides are nowhere near Barca in terms of quality up top, although admittedly still very good.

It highlights the gap in quality between the sides with the huge budgets and then...us.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The "smaller" teams are just getting left behind completely now in the CL. It's * but there's no way we can compete with some of these teams.

13. john2061

The champions league is set up in a way that the big clubs will get richer and the gap will get bigger and maybe done deliberately so the big clubs can cut out the small clubs in future .
    uefa has spoiled the tournament with everything going for the big clubs and its a shame for the smaller clubs .
    if i had my way i would only make the top 8 seeded and the rest go into a pot and take your chance but would make a few group of deaths but that would make it exciting .

14. pLUSpISTOL

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I know what you mean, think he would have saved the free kick though

15. Big C

Sviatchenko is nowhere near mobile enough to play there.

16. doctor venglos

You don't know until you give him a try at DM.
    Personally I think you are both doing him a disservice.
    Anybody got any better ideas then ?

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Toure's played there before but I'd be putting Scott Brown in that role and bringing in Henderson at midfied as well. We need three in the middle, leaving two against 3 against teams of that level is just mental.

18. doctor venglos

Agreed in that we need three in the middle, don't know why Brendan opted for two.
    I thought he was going to going with four at the back and five in midfield.
    Would have kept our shape better and narrower.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We could have played 4 at the back, in the middle and up front and they'd still have won.

It really isn't difficult to digest. They were beat days before, they had all the big guns back and they were pumping anything put in front of them. Just so happens it was us.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    First time Messi, Suarez and Neymar had started together since last season as well.

It all conspired against us:56: