1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What we learn from tonight

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CelticKurd, Sep 13, 2016.

Discuss What we learn from tonight in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

No shame in that, quite a few teams get beat off Barcelona, we are what we are and I love it.

2. kduffy

1. Showed them too much respect
    2. didn't pass accurately too each other gifting the ball to the team who are the best at possession
    3. Didn't track runners, 7 celtic players in box, 2 barca and goal-scorer is unmarked. wer'e everywhere apart from close goal-side of the opposition
    4. We looked beat.
    5. barca did not try that hard neither

Tough group Barca are the best team out there and Celtic are a good team with lots of potential but plenty work to do

Rodgers always goes on about mentality but ours was shot there

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We dropped 3 points at the Camp Nou.

We move on.

4. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

What have we learned of tonight?

One moment we're happy with De Vries. 3 days later he's *.
    We were thrilled with Rodgers......now he doesn't have a clue.

One of the reasons I rarely go into Celtic Chat as it's mostly blablabla

5. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Aye he's a cut above, you can really see it in games, the speed of thought,execution,etc, been a real highlight so far!

6. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He is a great signing for us. He could easily be a first choice start in the vast majority of EPL teams.

I was pleasantly surprised when we were linked with him, and over the moon when we signed him.

Class act.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I learned absolutely nothing tonight that I didn't already know.

When Barca are in the mood they can do strange things to the opposition.

Lets take the game to City and see what happens.

8. Dazzzdelux

Gamboa has hardly had any competitive games....its a bit harsh to judge him based on a debut away to Barca.

It doesn't matter who we bring in... we don't have the budget or the league to attract players good enough to compete in games like this.

9. ordinaryman

Learned or it was confirmed to me that we are way, way ahead of the rest of the SPFL but when it comes to pitting our Bhoys in the CL melting pot, whether that be in the Groups or in the qualifiers we struggle to the point that at times we are out of our depth.

It's all very well saying that we will learn from Europe but Lustig, Broonie, Bitton, Armstrong, Forrest, McGregor, Griffiths and Gordon have been learning in Europe for the past 2 years and KT and Roberts last year. So how much learning do we need? As for BR, when he was with Liverpool, they played 18 times in Europe, won 6, drew 5 and lost 7. So there's learning and improvement needed there.

This isn't a gripe. It's just a reality check that we can waltz our way through the SPFL but will struggle in Europe at any level. Money talks and in Europe we're awful quiet.

10. Dazzzdelux

:50:

11. fourleafclover

1 - De Vries does not look up to it. I wanted Gordon punted also - so new goalie required either in Jan or next summer.

2 - Bitton is 2 laid back/lazy to be any use to us at this standard. It causes us enough problems domestically . never mind against the worlds best. The fact that he doest seem to have any direct competition for the position won't help him improve either - at least 1 , possibly 2 better standard of midfielders required in Jan or next summer.

12. Mr Diggler

:50: Absolutely. Barcelona are an unbelievable team- they can hammer most teams any score they want. To qualify was our success- to get a few respectable results along the way would be a bonus. Look at at the goalscorers tonight- Messi(3), Suarez(2), Neymar(1) and Iniesta(1). Its like a whos who of the worlds best players.

13. limerickcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    all of em
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Well we learned what we already know, that Scottish football is * abysmal. We are so far ahead of anyone else in Scotland, yet we are at least the same distance Behind the best of Europe. We need to get a lot more quality in and hope that we can get to the stage where we might challenge for 2nd place in the group stages, obviously not this group, this year. But its still the place to be for a club like ours.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Until we start qualifying for the group stages on a yearly basis then we better get used to the silence. Even then it will still only be a whisper compared to Barcelona.

I trust we have the right manager to at least give us a chance of qualifying every year.

15. celticdawg

Agree totally with this. Our league can offer little to nothing in terms of serious competition as seen on sat !! We then try and compete against the best side in the world a few days later ,these clubs resources leave us with virtually no chance, much like all the teams in our league !! Hopefully at home with the backing of the best support in the world we can once again raise our game and show we can still offer something to this money talks competition !!

16. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    At least we didn't get blown out.

17. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Hopefully the board will realise the enormity of the task to make our club a credible force in Europe . The current squad will win the league but will always struggle in Europe .
    We need some major investment in the team to make us competitive in Europe .

18. seanm

said it at the draw try to better what borrusia do for third place end of. de vries isnt inspiring confidence though but he's hardly had to make many saves since he got here.

19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I thought the back 3 of Lustig Toure Erik were great.

Gamboa was thrown in early and is an attacking full back anyway.

Sinclair is class.

As always if Barca are in the mood, you get pumped.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We all knew that we would lose like a good few of us have now said, but I think it was more of a wake up call because looking at a thread not so long ago and people thinking we would get draws away from.home and beating teams at home.

We will be lucky to take points at home playing the German side, we will get pumped home and away from Barça and City and probably lose in Germany our only hope of points is at home playing BMG.

We are clearly lacking in the champions league but we do have the 30 million for getting there and I'm happy with that as long as we get into the groups then that's fine.

We need a keeper the new lad is not good enough

A holding midfielder is a must we all know own that.

A creative player to unlock sides is also another must.

We can't get anyone in now till the next window and I'm sure that Rodgers knows we need these areas addressed and will do when he gets the chance I just hope the * board back him with what he needs.

Even though we got pumped last night I'm still buzzing that we got into the groups and the fact that we smashed them last weekend.

Hail Hail.