1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions league draw!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by leeso-ardoyne, Aug 23, 2016.

Discuss Champions league draw! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

I want this too :icon_mrgreen:

Or CSKA, Man City, Brugge.

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

With Leicester, Dortmund and Brugge I really believe we could finish at least third in the group.

3. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

Regardless until I see evidence I will have no confidence in us away in Europe. I am hopeful with Brendan though that we can regain our invincibility at home. This being the case it matters little who we draw as we will get either 7 or 9 points worst case scenario El after Christmas

4. Sonny7

Don't think they will. They'll finish about 8th/10th

5. MaaaaaarK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Efe ambrose
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Real,Dortmund,sporting would be my hand picked group,every group is going to be a struggle to get through so may aswel get the glamour ties in

6. Keano88

Same buddy :50: .... 6 hours to the draw :celt_2:

7. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

Aye that's the draw I want aswell, the games against Dortmund especially would be unreal :50:

8. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Not until 5 pm what the * :54: can't wait that long.

9. MaaaaaarK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Efe ambrose
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Anyone know when the fixtures will be announced?looking to book flights as soon as they're out.

10. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    As long as we finish 3rd at least in our group we will be in Europe until end of Feb 2017 and at that time we have a home SPL match on either side of the fixtures in the Europa.

11. wulliebad

5pm draw....lets not forget the hour or 2 off bullshit and * kissing.....so result later i would think.

12. Markybhoy

The £25million is great for the club and hopefully we can get a draw that gives us a chance to making it into the Europa League spot.

It's really just a case of who we draw in pots 2 and 3. We all know we're getting Barcelona again. :icon_mrgreen:

13. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Not necessarily...

We could get Benfica.

14. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I don't share the optimism of a lot of you, I'm afraid.

We're a work in progress and the squad isn't hugely different to the one that competed in Europe under Deila in the last 2 seasons. There are so many top sides in this competition.

We all know we'll be a difficult side to beat at home, but we're ALWAYS vulnerable away. We've only one 1 away match in all our Champions League campaigns, and this season we've lost to Red Imps and Hapoel, and drew with Astana. These sides are hardly the creme de la creme of Europe and we'll face 3 much tougher trips.

We're in for a tough campaign.

15. Markybhoy

As ever, you are just being realistic mate.

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You're probably correct here - it will be a difficult campiagn pretty much regardless of who we draw. We'll quite rightly be looked at as one of the weakest sides in the competition just now imo.

I do think playing without pressure will do the team a lot of good though - not that there will be no pressure, but in comparison to the must win qualifiers there will be considerably less. There are definitely ties in this that we can take points from and at the same time there are sides that I really don't want to see us play while we still look so vulnerable defensively. If we could find a Wanyama type midfielder between now and the windown closing I would be a lot more confident.

17. Murph-E

I can understand a bit of optimism going into this, even to get 3rd, but what I never understand is the "then go on a run in the Europa League". It's been over a decade since we went on a run in that tournament. If we finish third it's almost certain we'd be eliminated immediately from the Europa. Just getting to that point would be excellent imo.

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Thinking like that takes the excitement away. I believe we will do rather well unless we somehow draw the group of death.... Infact I think we'd do better in a group of death than an "easy" group. Everyone in a solid group will think we're the easy 6 points. Then they play * with that mentality and we win

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not that worried about how we'll perform away from home in the groups. It'll be a totally different mentality to when we went to Israel and that makes an enormous difference. We played with fear in Israel.. We had something to protect and were expected to do it. Going away to the likes of Lyon, PSG, Sporting etc we will go and have belief in ourselves and try to make something happen. That will breed better performances, guarenteed. We won't be anywhere near as bad as we were against Hapoel again this season in Europe in my opinion. Unless we are in a situation where we are away to Brugge in the last at game of the group and all we need to do is not lose by 2 :smiley-laughing002:

20. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There is surely money to spend though. Even 2 new players could see us going into the first group game with 6 new players in the starting 11