1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic, free-flowing fitba!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 10, 2016.

Discuss Fantastic, free-flowing fitba! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. realshocks

Yes. I think these are the 2 positions BR was talking about. I hope to * we can get through, but this team just knocked out Olympiakos, who are a very good side indeed. We will need 2 special performances and maybe a run of the green.

Sent from my B3-A10 using Tapatalk

2. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    As much as there is real cause for optimism, let's not get too ahead of ourselves; we need to do that on a consistent basis. Remember Ronny's first home league game? We took Dundee UTD apart, 6-1. Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as anyone else for what's to come, but I'm always very wary of being let down when it comes to football.

3. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south
    I think the inter Milan game will let's us know where we are.

4. VikingBhoy

Yep, people forget we beat this lot 7-0 in our last match against them. I thoroughly enjoyed last night, but people need to calm down a little :smiley-laughing002:

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It was the style it's done it mate, you know that's the way Rodgers wants to play and all signs point towards him being able to implement it. That doubled with the steely mentality we have shown lately... we have every reason to be excited.

6. VikingBhoy

We turned on the style under Ronny too now and then, we were just inconsistent. I'm more excited about the mentality tbh :50:

7. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

They knocked out Olympiacos. To put things in perspective a better team than Motherwell got knocked out by Maltese opposition. While it's great to see the improvement and it does inspire confidence just scraping past the Israelis would keep me happy.

8. ÉireBhoy93

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes
    Gordon

Janko Erik Kolo Tierney

Brown

Roberts Rogic Sinclair

Griffiths Demebele​

Would love to see that team start some time, plenty of pace and all players good on the ball. Would easily take 4 or 5 off Sevco

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    No, the Hapoel game will.

I hope we put a youth team out against Inter.

10. Cmcgregor90

Don't mean to kill the vibe writing this before I have read this thread... No way comparing and saying it will go the same way as deilas reign but the best since burns side ? I dought it even deilas team who beat united 6-1 or was it 6-2 first game of the season was a performance on par with last night

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It is a fair point mate.

Was a terrific performance but I think everyone realises it is early days. A lot of tests to come but we look ready to face them. A couple more signings and we will be even stronger.

12. Cmcgregor90

One of the best I had seen in a good few seasons especially with lennons last season being a bit dull. That game had me excited and like * me nevermind the 6 goals we played amazing and the 6 could have been 10 plus easy... Exact same as last night

As I said not saying we will go from this performance to a bleek one and then a cracking one again as many times as we seen under Deila but as I've said bit harsh to say best seen since burns

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Still early days though but promising signs, last night is probably among the top 10 performances in the last 10 years. I can't think of many better(or any actually but my memory is quite * :56:)

Main thing was the movement, Sinclair, Rogic, Forrest, McGregor and Dembele were constantly on the move and Izaguirre was getting a lot of space out wide too, we have always lacked good movement especially under Deila whos system was far too rigid, he didnt really allow anyone to move out of their position ever. Lennon mixed it up tactically quite often and played different formations but we still didnt have great movement.

Last night was the best i've seen, probably since Martin O'Neill. Sinclair was going from wide to centre-mid to striker, Dembele was coming back into midfield, Forrest was coming into the middle of midfield, McGregor was going out wide and Rogic was constantly floating about all at the same time, was opening them up all the time and probably why we managed to get 30+ shots away with over 20 on target against a team who were really playing 9 at the back.

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm in the same camp. Although I have faith in BR, just don't want to build him up to that level yet. The big difference is Rodgers came here with a great reputation, experience of managing big big players who were earning into the hundreds of thousands per week, so he can handle egos. I think the players didn't have enough respect for Ronnie Deila, as he was unheard of here before arriving and was only supposed to be an assistant, which they would have been well aware of.

Brendan Rodgers is the biggest name in our dressing room, yet seems a humble guy. Seems like a great man manager, great tactically until now and his signings have looked good to this point. Still being cautious though as you never know with football.

15. Murph-E

Agreed strongly Paddy, haven't been this excited by a Celtic team in a long time. Even the ones I whinge about like Griffiths and Brown have looked excellent lately! Long may it continue.

16. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I just hope we can continue improving and play this kind of football against good European sides.

17. Murph-E

I don't mind playing counter in Europe, harder to break down but with the pace we have (Sinclair, Roberts) counter makes sense.

18. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

I'll come back to you about December, hope we have a good few months.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Tommy Boyd agreeing with me here:

CELTIC fans were thrilled by the Three Amigos. Now they have a Speedy Gonzales to get them off their feet.

Tom Boyd reckons Hoops fans are in for a treat under Brendan Rodgers as the new manager is set to get Parkhead punters off their feet with a brand of attacking football last seen in the Tommy Burns era.

The club legend was in the stands on Wednesday as Celts made mincemeat of Motherwell with speedster Scott Sinclair leaving the Steelmen trailing in his wake.

Boyd doesn’t want to get carried away as it’s still early days for the new regime.

But he admitted the signs are looking good Rodgers can blow away the boredom of the Ronny Deila reign and bring back the Burns nights to Parkhead.

Boyd - who was part of the swashbuckling side of the 90s that contained Amigos Pierre van Hooijdonk, Jorge Cadette and Paolo Di Canio - said: “Does it remind me of Tommy’s time? I would certainly say so. I think Brendan has the players and the key thing is the pace they play at.

“You look at the options of James Forrest and Scott Sinclair, there are not many quicker than them in the Scottish league. Griffiths has to come back and Moussa Dembele looks sharp. There is a lot of pace in the team.

“I was speaking to a couple of supporters and they were linking it to the pace the team had going back to Bobby Lennox, Stevie Chalmers and guys like that. That kind of pace that can cause problems.

“Defenders hate that because a long ball over the top can do you."

“There is certainly a lot of joy in the way the team is playing and you can see that in the response of the crowd, which has come back and given full support.

“It is more like the Celtic Way. It is about players reacting to a manager.

“You look at Ronny Deila and the style of football he wanted to play last season, but for whatever reason it didn’t quite work out. At times it was turgid.

“There will be games when it is far more difficult than it was against Motherwell. But we certainly hope that will continue.”

Boyd could handle most tricky wingers but he admitted he wouldn’t fancy coming up against Sinclair.

The new Bhoy has hit the ground running at Celtic Park with two goals in two appearances and his devastating display of pace in midweek has fans predicting he will be a runaway success in Glasgow.

Boyd said: “He has only just arrived and the question is, will he get even quicker? He’s lightning just now and he’s one of the fastest things I’ve seen since going back to Didier Agathe, who was just a match for myself back then!

“Scott looks very, very sharp and very comfortable, and you’ve seen in a short space of time a huge transformation in a player who struggled last season.

“He’s playing for a manager who really supports him and is going to bring the best out of him.

“If this is him short of full fitness then I’m excited about seeing him getting even better.

“There’s nothing more frightening to a defender than raw pace.

“He was ably assisted by quite a few players last night too. I thought Tom Rogic was outstanding and young James Forrest has found a new lease of life too.

“It looks as though Brendan has had the same impact on him as he has had on Scott, he has given him confidence and a new contract as well.

“So things are looking good in terms of our level of performance, certainly the best we’ve seen against a Motherwell side who have come and proved difficult in the past.”

Boyd admitted Hoops fans might need to keep a lid on their emotions for now but he can see the rapid progress being made at the club.

He said: “I think the supporters need to contain their excitement for now.

“Certainly though there are signs that it’s getting better.

“If you look back to the first game against Red Imps, which was unacceptable, and compare to what it was last night, when it was certainly more pleasing on the eye.

“Consider some of the players who weren’t involved in that too.

“I think he’s building a great atmosphere at the club, and he’s been good for the youth system as well with about six young boys on the park towards the end last night.

“That feel-good factor is continuing, and it will do so as long as they are getting results.

“Obviously the most important one is next week in the Champions League against Hapoel Beer Sheva.”

Celtic are eying the riches that comes with reaching Europe’s top table and Boyd insisted landing another £25m would leave Rangers in their wake.

The former Hoops and Scotland captain had a chuckle when he heard Ibrox chief Dave King last week suggesting the Parkhead club having more dosh could be a hindrance rather than a simple advantage.

Boyd said: “It’s a nice problem, isn’t it? I think Celtic have certainly been very astute in using it so far and I’m sure the team across the city would like to be in that position of having those resources.

“We would love to have the resources of the English Premier League but we don’t. If someone comes in with a ridiculous price for one of our players we would have to sell accordingly. Hopefully, there will be Champions League money coming in this season.

“In the past, we have certainly seen examples in Scottish football of players who came for a good money and didn’t quite work out.

“But Brendan clearly knows a player or two and is adding quality to try and keep that momentum going.”

20. Markybhoy

Six games into the Brendan Rodgers era and I am already enjoying watching us more than I did at any stage during Ronny Deila's time here. I actually find myself looking forward to Celtic matches again. That's what a good manager can do for you. I am loving it so far.