1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Misogyny Now Considered A Hate Crime

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dáibhí, Jul 13, 2016.

Discuss Misogyny Now Considered A Hate Crime in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Attractiveness isn't all about looks for either women or men, but it plays a huge part for both. I wouldn't wolf whistle at anyone, I genuinely can't remember the last time I even heard anyone wolf whistle. I don't see it as something offensive though if I'm being honest, but then I'm not on the receiving end of many either :smiley-laughing002: I wouldn't make an innapropriate comment but then the real question isn't about people making innapropriate comments, it's about how to identify the line where a comment becomes innapropriate. I do believe that the exact same line delivered by a model-esque, well dressed and well spoken bloke would get a very different reaction from a spot-faced, toothless ned though, in most cases.

2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

It's common sense where to draw a line. As I've said be polite and respectful and you're fine. If you're not then you risk offending someone. It's simple

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    How realistic is that though? You don't think thousands of guys across the country are pretty forward with girls in bars and clubs every weekend, resulting in thousands of girls quite happy to head home with them?

I think it's a much more blurry line in all honesty, and therein lies the problem with making it law.

4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

It also results in thousands of girls made to feel uncomfortable and unsafe. I'd wager that the guys who go home with the girls haven't harrassed them and in general they'll be pretty respectful and try to be funny etc.

I don't understand why it's hard to understand that girls often get creeped out by the actions of guys, regardless of how they look. Aye maybe some girls go for it if they think the guy is hot. But lots of women would just see him as a creep regardless

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It does but again, how can something be made the basis of any law when the it's so reliant on interpretation and delivery? Some girls will like it, some won't, some will be entirely indifferent to it. Again, being forward with a woman isn't harrassing her. That would be a constant thing where you wouldn't take no for an answer for example, and that obviously is well beyond the line.

I completely understand that girls get creeped out by guys. I don't think it's that outragous to say that most guys are pretty awkward at times, and can be strange in certain social situations, particulalry when it comes to talking to women. That isn't what I'm talking about though, and in reality nobody should ever be punished for simply being creepy or making someone feel uncomforable purely by being socially awkward, or nervous themselves. Speaking very generally, women are far better at most social encounters than men.

6. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    With some of the comments on here i now imagine most men to be like charity chuggers in the street who you pretend to not see or swiftly leave the area if they start to approach you :smiley-laughing002:

7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I don't disagree. Someone being nervous or anxious doesn't stop them being respectful and as I said most men who proposition females are fine and those type of people will never be criminalised.

It'd the people who say innapropriate things in the street. Like nice * or nice *. Or those who don't take no for an answer. Those people are the problem here. It's a minority and people are generally sensible enough to know that and tell the difference between being a creep and not being a creep. Be respectful. Take the first "no thanks" as the last one and you're doing nothing wrong. Girls know that

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Agreed :50:

the nice */* stuff is innaporpriate to say to someone you've just met in all honesty, the wolf whistling stuff is just less dodgy imo.

Having actually read about the issue now, it seems as though it isn't actually being criminalised, but more of a reportable offence, which makes more sense to me.

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah that makes sense. I still don't like wolf whistling though because regardless of how innocent it's intentions are, it's clear that it does make alot of woman feel uneasy.

It's reason enough to just not do it. Completely needless. But aye, not a criminal offence

10. ynwa1987

Its far from simple though, lot of guys who think they are just being friendly will creep girls out.

Also what one girl perceives to be creepy another girl might not mind so much. Alot depends on the delivery and rightly or wrongly how he is dressed ect.

Its such a grey area this law, will cause lots of problems imo.

11. R.A.

I think many cases would be too subjective to enforce and would result in many people being wrongly accused of a so called "hate crime". And what happens when you are reported? Do you get to go on trial? Do you pay a fine? Are you named and shamed on a list akin to a * offenders list, which may prevent you from possibly getting employment in the future? Looking at someone the wrong way could be considered harassment.

12. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think a few are reading too far into this. As long as you're not whistling to her on the street, saying something in the passing or taking pics of a random woman. ffs, guys nowadays seem to think it's fine to send a pic of your * to someone.
    If she engages and makes it clear it's unwanted then stop.

If you think what you're doing might be seen as creepy - it's probably creepy.

13. ynwa1987

14. R.A.

Also, this will do little to actually end misogyny. Men may stop whistling at women on the street or chatting them up, but they will probably continue to think lewd, misogynistic, or whatever thoughts. It's not like they'll suddenly realize, "oh wow whistling at women is wrong. I should be valuing them as intelligent individuals with their own thoughts and feelings." So women may have the illusion of feeling comfortable and safe walking down the street while still being ogled or hated or seen as a * object.

15. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Offense is not given, it is taken. There are a lot of women out there how get offended if they are chatted up by someone who they believe is beneath them. Sometimes it's not even a chat up, they get pissy if someone they don't like even has the audacity to just talk to them.

This whole thing seems like it will give women carte blanche to screw over guys who they think shouldn't dare chat them up because they think they are not good enough.

As I mentioned before a creep is basically a guy who is unlucky enough to be unattractive and have a *-drive.

Men shouting "nice *" or whatever, practically never happens.

16. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You're right. Education is the way forward.

18. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song

19. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    I genuinely didnt think wolf whistling etc was even a thing anymore, unless being done ironically.

20. ynwa1987

I was thinking the same thing.