1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Deila: "I was a burden"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Jun 19, 2016.

Discuss Deila: "I was a burden" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Suppose that's true.:50:

2. Goggzy60

Such a hard read was such a guy maybe to nice hope he does well elsewhere. I had the pleasure of meeting him and getting his autograph at the start of his tenure and even then you could tell he was proud to be given this opportunity.

3. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    He's set us back in the sense that when he took over we were so dominant domestically in the league it was a formality and no one could dream of getting close to us. Ronny has now came along and changed the whole landscape of that given teams like Aberdeen, Hearts and Sevco slight hope that they can topple us for the title when they shouldn't even be dreaming of such a possibility. There's no doubt he's set us back hugely and it's going to take a couple of seasons for Brendan to correct it and he'll need to hit the ground running in the process.

4. gm777

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The thing about having no social life is nonsense he was always out drinking in his local in Erskine.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Deila should be a lesson to a lot of people imo. It doesn't just harm us, it also harms the man himself the prolong his stay here unnecessarily. All in the name of him being a nice guy and all.

I think Rodgers appointment demonstrates that we're an attractive appointment if we sell ourselves right, and we should never be in a place where we're left saying 'this is as good as it gets' with our manager again.

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Drinking in Erskine? Nae wonder he was depressed.

7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Always too big for him too quick, no doubt an excellent coach but has a lot to learn in managing a squad with expectations from everyone, hard to read but shows what a great person he is, has never said a bad word against the club.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I blame the club for putting him into a role where he was our his depth..

There was nothing in his CV that suggested he would be able to handle a club like ours, when things aren't going well..

Let's just hope some of his signings help to leave a positive legacy..

9. TheHappyLoss

Think we don't appreciate at times the pressure that comes with managing or playing for Celtic. Sad to read Ronny was suffering, granted we were suffering too :smiley-laughing002:

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Set us back years? Don't overreact.

We have a squad right now that, if Rodgers can get the best out of them, can qualify for the CL. Added to that, he'll sign at least a couple of players to strengthen the squad.

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He is only saying what most of us could see was the problem, it was far too big a job for him and it definitely showed

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Definitely set us back years, 2 years in the Champions League, 4 years of it in a row would have us far above where we are just now.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don't know. We were in it for a couple of years and still spent * all money really and sold our best players.

Financially not much seems to have changed.

14. Henke102

Signing him as manager was a strange one at the time and was a major risk, that the board should be held accountable for. Saying that I understand that Lennon leaving must have been a shock because I remember in his last speech he was saying he was looking forward to the next season, then he left soon after. We were going stale at the time though and maybe a shake up in management would have been a good thing if we brought the right team in. Maybe they rushed it a bit and were too focused on the annual balance sheet rather than the long term true investment of bringing in quality coaches at a time when we could have developed a side over two seasons rather than the quick turn around Rodgers is left with.

His last season was brutal but the players were clearly not playing for him a lot of the time and some of their performances against a * hun team were unforgivable, some of them look like they couldn't be arsed and wanted to be anywhere else than Hampden.

He was let down by his assistants and the team but he was clearly not cut out for the intensity for the job. He is a young manager though, give him 10 years at other clubs and he might be ready for a big job, not easy to jump into the Celtic job if you don't know much about the style of play here or anything about the club and have relatively little experience for a club our size.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    But managed to attract guys like Van Dijk, who we definitely wouldn't be able to just now. It's not the money, it's the reputation.

An extra £50m would help as well of course.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think we would. He was, for the most part, unheard of over here. I know that most of us in here had never heard of him when we were linked. Plus he was at Groningen, not Ajax or PSV. Celtic is a far bigger club than them.

Obviously the more money we get the better, but it's not like when Mowbray left and we really had been set back years.

As I said, Ronny has still left us with a pretty good squad that only really needs a couple of quality additions.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He was in the Erdevisie team of the year. We would never be able to get one of the best players in a bigger league than ours now. He came because of the Champions League, he confirmed that himself.

We've missed the biggest opportunity in our history for me in the last two years. The unambition the board has shown is shocking and shouldn't be forgotten.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He came for the chance to play in the CL. We still had to qualify when he signed, he would have known there was a chance we wouldn't qualify.

Aye, the board are the main problem for me. It was them who chose Deila, and it was them who never properly backed him.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That wasn't the point I was making, he came because our reputation at that time was of a Champions League club. Not just as a team that played in the backwater of Scotland, that makes a huge difference to the players that we can attract to the club.

Not just Van Dijk, even though both were failures we also managed to attract a guy who had just played 40 odd games for Ajax and scored at the Bernabeu and a Schalke player. Didn't work put for either but that would be beyond us at the moment.

20. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    Deila had more than enough to see us past Maribor and Malmo within the squad. It's his own failure and incompetence and tactics that cost us. I'm not saying the board are blameless which they obviously aren't as they put him in the position in the first place and continued with their project. However, the only person to blame for the CL Play Offs disasters is Deila and his management team.