1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paris...shootings and explosions

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by CH4, Nov 13, 2015.

Discuss Paris...shootings and explosions in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Do what and fight who though?

Genuinely interested, because I don't see how war could possibly be the solution here mainly because I've no idea who or what we could possibly declare war on.

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Great post :50:

It feels like the escalation of this has been going on since 9/11, and it hasn't solved any problems. If anything I would say the world we face today is far more dangerous and disjointed than it was then.

3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can just see daft Wrigley runnin about Syria in his white jeans and sandals with an ak47 in one hand, camera phone in the other. Only stopping his slaughter of innocent brown people to take pictures of unsuspecting ladies ankles.

4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :56::56:

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wonder if he's ever sung "Go on home British soldiers".

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I actually do have mental health issues. Does that mean I'm excused from picking one barbarian over the other?

7. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The first thing we should do is stop arming and funding dubious groups in Syria and stop leaping into bed with genuine * evil regimes like Saudi and Qatar.

I believe we should join with the Syrian government and Russia to crush jihadism in the region militarily. Liberate all areas controlled by ISIS and other terror groups with brute force.

8. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Your PM's are full RR.

9. wulliebad

When the rich play their games the poor suffer yet again.

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Ah yes the let someone else deal with it solution , thought you wanted to choose a 'side' :smiley-laughing002:

11. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Top news story
    Emma Kelly ‏@emmakelly0908 14m14 minutes ago
    London Gatwick North Terminal Evacuated..."suspected suspicious article" http://fb.me/DE6mORC5

matt' ‏@Ebbssyy 1m1 minute ago
    Reports of a man with a gun and suspicious package at Gatwick, north terminal has been closed
    At least one attack was foiled

People speculating ...where will it end? can see hysteria resulting from this and it plays into the hands of the terrorists.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
  12. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

38 pages until the Beirut atrocity was mentioned :54:

No one wants to talk about Muslims being murdered by ISIS.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I agree in part, we should not be collaborating with Saudi Arabia or Qatar in any way.

I think we've basically jumped the gun in terms of joining the Syrian government. Our opposition of Assad was misplaced and downright dangerous, but I'm not sure what can be done at this stage to rectify it. I also don't think we have the appetite to have a real military solution. Would the British public really be willing to put boots in the ground in Syria against one of the most brutal ideologies to ever exist? I'm not so sure.

14. Cmcgregor90

If anything it will be even more policed and a lot more safer

It does my head in when something like this happens it's not going to kick off again tonight so why is there complete lock down on the stad de France today? Nobody's going to attack it again... Better safe than sorry but nothing like this will happen again until the next time unfortunately

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I thin it's only human that attacks that people can associate with, ie in the western world, are the ones given the most air time here.

It is worth pointing out though, as it's something that can be easily forgotten or swept under the carpet by some people with a clear agenda - I would put every penny I own that IS have been responsible for more Muslim deaths than every other religion combined, many, many times over.

16. KirkyBhoy1888

17. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't think we need to put mass amounts of troops into Syria, the men who are fighting these groups are already there. The Syrian army, the Iraqi army, the Kurdish factions in both countries. They've shown time and time again that they can face up to these scum and win, particularly the Kurds (look at their liberation of Sinjar just in the past few days).

We can help them with proper co-ordinated air support (the same thing Russia has been doing for the past month with some success) that would mean us working together with Assad's forces. It has to be done if we're serious about defeating this evil.

18. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Well Maajid Nawaz has said time and again that Islamism is not Islam, which is correct.

Islamism is a political movement with its roots in the works of people like Sayyid Qutb, in his Milestones book, Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani, Hassan al-Banna or Abul A'la Maududi and is hence a movement created in modern conditions. It's a reaction to European Imperialism in the Greater Middle East. The lazy, racist reactions such as "not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim" fail to look at this and fail to look at the history and current conditions of the Greater Middle East, an area where every country was created by European Imperialism.

This failure to see the difference between Islam and Islamism is very dangerous. Firstly for Muslims here who will face a racist backlash, which has already begun, even on here. And secondly for western governments, the failure to see the difference has created a situation where many in the West will support brutal regimes like al-Assad. They do this in the hope that he will stop or at least tie down Islamists and so stop them from attacking cities like Paris. But the brutality of these regimes crushes any progressives in those societies (and these progressives will be demonised because they say "Allāhu Akbar" or "Al-ḥamdu lillāh" at a protest and so are really Islamists) and acts as a massive recruitment toll for actual Islamists, who then go on to do this.

Its also incredibly lazy to say this is about Islam because one the gunmen shouted "Allāhu Akbar". Its like saying the war in Iraq really was all about spreading democracy because that is what George W. Bush said. Only an idiot would take these things at face value.

Anyway, * the "New Atheists". Absolute * and I am an Atheist.

19. Hadouken

Interestingly enough people were quick enough to jump on Cadete for supposedly 'bringing politics up to score cheap points' yet are completely fine to ignore this?

Yeah big bad capitalism forced those scumbags to go into a music theatre and blow up a load of young adults, I'm guessing it also forced them to kill 260 people in a mumbai hotel.. but but ... 'We would do the same' erm.. no. No we wouldn't. * off with your apologist * already.

'They become indoctrinated because they see their religion, the very moral fibre of their being totally subjugated to hate and loathing.'

I don't care if your beliefs are the 'moral fibre of your being' if it clashes with western values then it is open to debate, criticism and even ridicule. Islam is not exempt from this no matter how many people wished it was. Homegrown terrorists have become 'radicalised' because have been taught to interpret their religion in a certain way, this way just so happens to be incompatible with the west. So I don't see how can you say 'This has nothing to with Islam' in one sentence and then say 'This is all capitalism's fault' in another, Sorry but this has everything to do with Islam.

20. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    The most frightening thing about this situation is that this is not a war like any other - there is no territory as such - we can't "go " to the enemy , we can not possibly contain the enemy in one place . IS is well and truly behind enemy lines and has supporters/members living in major towns and cities all over Europe , particularly in France and England. Sporadic attacks like this are always a possibility when those who wish to harm you are your own citizens . An unimaginable mess we are in . Radicalised Muslims are far more prevalent in the UK than the media would have us believe .