1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic AGM Friday November 20th 2015 at 10.30am

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Nov 9, 2015.

Discuss Celtic AGM Friday November 20th 2015 at 10.30am in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Jesus.

I hate when our fans use this line. "Don't spend, look at what happened TO THEM! DON'T OPEN THE WALLET"

We aren't going to die a quick death by spending a bit extra ffs, not as if we are going to go 10 years paying players 40 and 50k a week which we don't have.

Most clubs have debt nowadays, and it can be managed. They just went way, WAY outwith their means.

2. mickmcl1888

I really cant understand how people on here stick up for the current regime and try to start arguing with anybody who has the cheek to complain about Desmond and Lawwell. This argument that Lawwell is doing a great job really doesnt wash with me, alright we may be financially secure but first and foremost we are a football team and declining steadily year after year. We can't get into champions league anymore due to the absolutely dreadful standard of the current team thanks to this regime and are losing out on over 20 million pounds every season. Even though The new format of the champions route of qualification has made it a whole lot easier for the likes of us to qualify we still cant even do that.
    If there was any promise at all on the playing side or even a slight improvement every season whilst remaining financially secure I would take my hat off to him but come on, even I could keep us financially secure by constantly downsizing the club and selling off all our assets taking little or no interest in the performances on the field, who couldn't do that?
    And what really annoys me is people saying hes doing a great job because we dont want to end up like Sevco!! Its got absolutely nothing do do with them, why does anybody even mention them?? Whats been going on over there has been absolutely ludicrous!! How the * could anybody compare anyone to that shower!!!

3. mickmcl1888

Exactly This!!!

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He saw us as an investment, people need to remember he helped us out when we needed the cash.
    He cares more about golf and his private plane but at the end of the day I'd rather not have someone pumping money in the club for it to all go * up 10 years down the line.

He just cares about the profit margins and the club being 'self sufficient'.

5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I'd rather have no debt at all, you don't know what will happen in future even in 5 years. If we secure our financial stability just now and have bank facilities on hand in case something does happen we will be fine.
    There is no way we would pay anyone 40K that's just over £2m per year. Brown is the only one on 30K isn't he.

6. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  7. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They will be mentioned and so they should.

HMRC winning their appeal against Lance Armstrong FC brings into doubt Nimmo Smith's verdict. We were up against a financially doped opponent for what? 10 years? You can't expect the club to just let that go.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I will be raging if they DON'T mention them.

We are the Club most affected by their financial doping and cheating to win Titles. It would be remiss of the Board and the Shareholders NOT to discuss it at an AGM.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Guarenteed if they get brought up everything is about that and not us. Happens every year, Lawwell will make some sorta snidey comment against them and everycunt will ignore the actual important things.

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm not even saying we'd end up in debt though, I was just mentioning that debt can be managed.

We are in such a good position(apparently) that even spending a bit extra on a bit better standard of player wouldn't harm us.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I do see your point, it'll be nothing but them however. This year we probably have the biggest reason to talk about them, last 3 * years it's been a lot about them and it just detracts from what we need to focus on, which is our club.

It does my nut in.

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Its more important that the dead clubs cheating is brought up rather than the petition imo. As we lost potentially 10's of millions due to it.

13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Yeah I know what you mean, if we get in the CL next 3 seasons we will have the financial backing to go out and spend more. We could gamble on bringing in a few good additions in the summer to push for CL football instead of just hoping with what we've got.

We did spent money on Jozo, won't have been 5M probably 3.5M plus add ons.

If we can clear the deadwood and non-performers in Europe then am sure we could get a decent player in January.

14. EastLothianBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Mackay Steven
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Well said.

15. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    To the guy Saltire mentioing average CEO salaries - that is in the wider corporate world. CEO's overseeing corporations with billions in turnover, not in the footballing world.

Lawwell is one of the highest remunerated football honchos in Britain, if not the world. Yet his club has very little in the way of revenue in the grand scheme of things. He takes home the largest pay packet at our club after Scott Brown and has done so probably since about 2007.

Now, he is skilled at what he does - that is undeniable. He negotiates us deals that folk probably couldn't - he has plenty of rapport in the business and footballing community, he does keep us (sort of relevant). Plenty of sponsors could offer us pennies because they know Scottish football is a nick and they can pay anything. Hence why he was sent by SPFL to help negotiate the television deals too!

What bothers me though is that he is just too skilled a businessmen and he is literally running us as a business only. He can balance the books perfectly, he can increase the share price and keep those shareholders happy. However as a footballing entity we are sorely lacking and massively failing. Something has to give.

I dunno why he never went to Arsenal. The pay packet is double ours, the remuneration package if the CEO leaves is in the region of £5m. Your head of one of the top football clubs in Britain and the world, overseeing a budget that is 5 times ours. Maybe he just likes being a big fish in a small pond? He has much control here in Scotland that he would not get down South?

Also, always wonder why he hasn't ever left for a job at another (non-footballing) corporation. He would walk into many jobs, he has the contacts and he would be paid handsomely. Suppose the loyalty he shows is something to be admired?

Either way I don't really enjoy how it is PL/DD way or the highway. Taken for mugs and force fed * and told to accept it.

16. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Really struggling with that word aren't you? :bbpd:

And a few others but hey ho (illiterates have just as much a right to voice their concerns as others.)

So, what's Mr Lawwell done to you all now then? Apart from running our club well, investing the majority of funds back into the team, being nominated for CEO of the Year, turning down moves to vastly increase his pay with a bigger club to stay with us and providing the manager with enough of a financial backing to qualify for the UCL each year?

Answers on a postcard guys. Or a stamp which should leave you plenty of room.

Here's the thing; Lawwell goes and you will just start venting on the next guy "in charge." The problem with some of our support is that they just despise what they perceive as The Man, whichever guise he takes next.

It's simply a default position for some. The case against by some (Ok, Minimalist) is fall-on-the-floor laughable ie:

Sixth form * material - right there.

:56::56::56:

:56::56::56:

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What you're saying is probably mostly correct, RK; but that's quite a harsh way of putting it, mate. In particular the correctness of someone's English isn't really a reflection of how reasonable their argument is.

18. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Sorry RR - you're right of course. :52:

Let's go with this then:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board Member: Right lads, that's me just off the phone to that * Lawwell, I've given him the boot as per our fans clear wishes!!

Board Members: Yessss! Get in! Derivatives (etc etc)

Board Member: SOoo..lets get down to the business of finding his replacement!

Board Members: Yessss! For sure!!! Woooo!! Let's REALLY start this Social Collectivism!!!

Board Member: Right (cough) so...first of all he must be Scottish.

Board Members: Yes. Fair enough! I get it. Woo!

Board Member: And he should be a really respected businessman.

Board Members: Agreed!! (murmer) Joe Ledley’s contract.

Board Member: It would be really good if he worked in the field of football.

Board Members: (nodding sagely)

Board Member: If he could be somehow on some sort of professional game board as well, that would be ideal!!

Board Members: *' A!!!

Board Member: Scratch that. If he could be on a professional game board in EUROPE, I tell you what that would be outstanding!

Board Members: You're telling us!!!! What else??

Board Member: Loyalty, that's what boys. If any * comes sniffing for him offering them to double his salary, he better tell them to * RIGHT OFF

Board Members: Too right!!! *' bolt poachers hahaha!!!!

Board Member: Be great if he could have some sort of professional recognition, some sort of award thingy

Board Members: We hear you!!!!!? Anything else??!!!??

Board Member: And to top it off, would it be * IDEAL lads if the guy could be a......Celtic supporter!!!

Board Members: OH MY *! WOW! WHERE CAN WE FIND THIS GUY!!!!?????

*silence*

*awkward glances to each other*

*board member picks up the phone*

"Er...hello, is that you Mr Lawwell....it appears we've made a terrible mistake."

19. saltire78

I see someone is in a '* you! No prisoners, no surrender' kind of humour tonight... bad Monday mate? :smiley-laughing002:

Really agree on the perspective though.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If our major shareholder can't be arsed I'm no going either..