1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronny Out?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Slaw, Nov 5, 2015.

Discuss Ronny Out? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No I didn't, I compared Deila's achievements to Lambert's at the same age.

Which you've obviously missed.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The biggest question here for me is would you be confident of Lambert being able to achieve European results?

3. Murph-E

It's been a week and I want him sacked more now than I did after the match.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

There's also the point which Paul Lambert actually mentioned the fact that he'd NEVER manage either Celtic or Rangers due to the "goldfish bowl" mentality of Glasgow.

And, he has consistently jumped from his clubs for "bigger" jobs, whereas Deila seems quite a loyal chap.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Why?

It's been a week and I've now calmed down a bit.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    * sake, has it only been a week? Seems a lifetime ago :56:

7. Mr. Slippyfist

* knows - I'd never have been confident of Lennon overseeing successes like we did in THAT CL campaign, so you never know.

But right now? Nah - hasn't shown anything to prove he's a special kind of manager.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Would you really be confident of anyone getting results for us in Europe though?

There are maybe 2 managers i'd be confident of doing well in Europe with us, Simeone and Mourinho as they would set us up to be really solid defensively and we could probably scrape through to the CL almost every season.

But other than that you never know because we're never going to have much better players than we do now and the players we have arent much better than teams we play against.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lenny I was, it was just a matter of him learning quickly from his mistakes, which he did tbf. I didn't think he would to the scale he did though, so aye I get what you mean.

Always thought Lenny knew how to play in Europe, Lambert even more so. He knows what is required as a player and the mentality that is required. He's a bit like Ronny in he's not willing to sacrifice his ideals though and that can leave him neither here nor there in big matches. Players 2nd guessing themselves.

I have no faith in Ronny being able to do anything in Europe or get us in the Champions League. I'd be 50/50 on Lambert.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    By in Europe I mean get by the Champions League qualifiers.

So there's tons of managers I'd be confident with.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think its very tight and would no matter who was in charge.

We've seen for years now how tight it is, Basel, Artmedia, Braga, Legia, Maribor, Malmo have knocked us out, although we have knocked out Ajax, Spartak Moscow and Dynamo Moscow plus weaker teams like MTK Hungaria, Elfsborg, HJK Helsinki, Helsingborg.

12. Wicker Bhoy

I think the problem lies in that Delia wants to build something long term and we as fans very much live in the now.

Ronny's time in Norway is testament to the fact that he can build long term success. If he could do that here, while winning the league and cups and eventually get us to a place where we could properly compete in Europe year after year then I would take that right now. The problem lies in whether or not you think he can take us to that point.

I kind of look at Ronny wanting to do with us what Fergie done with Man U. It took him a while but he got the time because of what he had achieved with Aberdeen. To me for Ronny we're Man U and Stromgodset was Aberdeen.

I really want him to succeed but the Molde home performance was unacceptable and if he can't turn it around against Ajax and Fenerbache a bit then I don't think he'll get the time.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    For me it shouldn't be tight, 9 times out of 10 I think we should be there.

With the level of teams we face, if we get our * together, that's a realistic target with the Champions Route.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Think you are right, thats also why I want to give him time.

For CL qualification the best way to play is defensively, dont give many goals away and catch teams on the break or score goals from set peices, thats mostly what Lennon done but we're never really going to become a decent European team playing like that.

When you look at some of the others on our level like PSV, Ajax, Salzburg and Basel they've all built better footballing sides than we've done in recent years by playing more open and trying to be an attacking side, when it's worked for them it's been good to watch and their fans probably enjoyed how they could attack and beat other decent teams rather than scrape results.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    9 out of 10 is very unrealistic though, maybe if we were Porto or Galatasaray good that would be realistic.

But Celtic 7 out of 10 is more realistic, we do have better players than the others but not that much better than on an off day we couldnt get horsed 3-0 from the likes of a Malmo, Maribor, Dinamo Zagreb, Legia or whoever and it would be curtains if they did do us like that. Same goes for other sides similar to us like Basel and Salzburg and soon Ajax or PSV if the Dutch League slips down the rankings which looks likely, none of us are that certain to make it and you'd think atleast 1 of us will be knocked out every season.

16. Mannix

The second of those two was Celtic in a secvoless SPL. If he didn't win the league with us last year we wouldn't even be having this conversation, he'd already be gone. Comes down to who do you think will get us qualified for the CL next season. I would back Lambert over Deila, because I think he can organise a team better. Even when he got sacked at Villa, defensively they were fairly sound.

It's a fundamental thing in football; to organise a team to defend properly first and then play your brand of football.

Ronny doesn't seem to have clocked that yet, saying that he has another chance v Ajax.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    If we get to the Champions League the next five years in a row we would have a far better team. More money, more exposure, better reputation. Which in turn should make it easier to get into the CL.

18. Mannix

* that *. It's great to have a long term vision and stuff, but we can't afford a manager years upon years to get to grips with the job, while we miss out on CL funding in the meantime while he's learning his trade. There are ways to implement a long term vision at a club without relying on one man - the manager - to be afforded all the time he needs to get things right.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Easier said than done though, we done it twice in a row with Lennon then we lost our best players. Likelihood is if we do it twice in a row the next 2 seasons we'll lose our best players again say Simunovic, Bitton, Johansen, Armstrong and could be rebuilding or weak again and not make it for a season or two.

You never know, Celtic are not really in any position to build a team and grow and get bigger and better, we'll always have the legs kicked away from under us cause we can't keep good players for very long.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We lost our best players after 1 year and qualified the next. The 3rd year our team was very steady and then we didn't back our manager and had to get a new one in. For me we should have qualified the last two years and have * it up on our own.

If we get our * together, we are more than capable.