1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronny Out?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Slaw, Nov 5, 2015.

Discuss Ronny Out? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    How though? he took the equivalent of a Partick Thistle, Hamilton, Raith Rovers, wee * team who always finished near the bottom of the League or played in the League below and built them into the team who won the League and a Cup and were finished in the top 4, 3 years in a row.

Their League positions in his 4 last seasons, were the highest they'd finished in the League in decades.

When they appointed Deila they would have been happy just not to get relegated instead they became the best team in the League.

2. Mannix

Yeah that all very impressive alright.

Lambert for me has a better CV though.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He doesn't really, there must be about 20/30 managers in England who have won lower Leagues and achieved promotion to the EPL. Lambert, Mowbray, Warnock, Allerdyce, wee baldy guy who managed Blackpool, Pulis, Billy Something(wee hun * who managed Nottingham Forest) etc theres loads of them.

Id say in England you havent really proven yourself until you've done like a Martin O'Neill who I think got Leicester promoted then finished in the top 10 in the League 4 times in a row. To do that is very impressive but just to get teams promoted and then get stuck fighting relegation or go down and back up then loads of people have done that.

Roy Keane for example, I think he took over Sunderland when they were in the relegation zone of the Championship and if I remember right he went on and actually won the League with them that season then he kept them in the EPL the following season? some would say that is a great job yet most people dont really think much of him as a manager.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  4. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

Its not the same though as the Norwegian league does not have the equivalent of a Celtic. It would be more reflective saying he took one of these teams to 2nd

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Rosenberg? Got to be up there as the dominant team anyway.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    What about Rosenborg who've won the League in Norway in 18 of the last 26 seasons, finishing 2nd twice and 3rd 3 time so 23 of the last 26 seasons in the top 3. More dominant than even Celtic.

7. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I would say Rosenborg dont dwarf the other teams financially. As far as more successful then Celtic ever were I don't want to bring deadco into this but the Norwegian league is not reflective of Scotland

8. Mannix

"Lambert, Mowbray, Warnock, Allerdyce, wee baldy guy who managed Blackpool, Pulis, Billy Something(wee hun * who managed Nottingham Forest) etc theres loads of them"

Talk about generalisations. You've thrown Lambert into a pot with Mowbray but also with Pulis and Allardyce. Pulis and Allardyce would be a step up on Billy the hun or Tony Mowbray. I would tend to put Lambert in the Pulis/Allardyce bracket, he doesn't have their CV yet but that's 'cos he hasn't been around as long as them.

Lambert is in demand, QPR and Blackburn are after him. We probably wouldn't get Paul Lambert, but we should try. He'd be an upgrade on Ronny Deila no doubt about it.

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    They still overtook established teams though like Rosenborg, Molde, Odd, Tromso who always finished in the top 5 and they done it without spending money just good coaching and identifying good players like Johansen and Berget who've gone on to play in Europe and for Norway.

Not often you'd see Partick Thistle for example signing 2 good players who'd go on to play for Scotland when they were 19-21. Then produce an Odegaard(who was 9 when Ronny took over them).

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Mowbray's record is extremely similar to Lamberts tbh

11. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I am not belittling his achievements. Taking Aberdeen to 2nd was seen as a huge achievement by some just a matter of months ago.

12. JohnBhoy95

We have to sack him before the Jan window or keep him in my book. As much as i dont like his tactics in europe, i'd prefer him being given another chance instead of someone coming in near the end of the season/start of qualifying campaign who hasnt had a chance to add their own players or put their ideas across fully.

13. Mannix

Very impressive. Ronny is a legend in Norway, I'm sure he can be a legend there again.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Not for me, McInnes has done nothing. I actually dont rate him at all, all he's done is a Stuart McCall at Motherwell signed mostly experienced good SPL players then achieved good experienced SPL results.

If McInnes had built as strong an Aberdeen by signing and coaching younger more inexperienced players who went on to outdo Aberdeen and play for good teams or be sold on for good money improving Aberdeen as a club, like how Dundee Utd recently became good or how Hibs became good a decade ago with good young signings or producing youngsters then that is good management(although good players coming through your youth team like Hibs and Dundee Utd thats more down to luck although the managers still need to use them which they did).

But to sign McGinn, Rooney, Flood, Robson, Goodwillie, Hayes, Shinnie, McLean, Reynolds, P.Quinn and all that then achieve a basic minimum with them(finishing 2nd) then there are 100s of managers who could have done that.

Like Motherwell, Aberdeens rapid decline will come soon enough once this team goes stale and they start losing all those players and can't replace them and don't have the money to replace them as they are all average players and none of them are worth anything.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You disagree that winning the Title with Stromsgodset and Celtic is a bigger achievement than failing at Livingston getting beat in the League 2 playoffs with Wycombe and finishing mid table in League 1 with Colchester?

Seriously?

16. Mannix

I agree with this. It's stick or twist in January.

For me it comes down to the games v Ajax and Fenerbache. If he can get a win v Ajax and a reasonable performance from his team in both games - in other words prove that he is capable of getting a performance from his players when under pressure in Europe - then he might have earned himself one more chance to qualify for the CL next summer.

If we go out tamely to Ajax, we should get a new manger in by January.

17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I was joking about McInnes. Aberdeen should really expect to be at least challenging for second:smiley-laughing002:

18. Mannix

You left out the back to back promotions with Norwich. The experience he has gained managing Aston villa in the EPL for 2 and a half seasons, keeping them in the top flight - no mean feat - for the first 2 seasons.

Seriously, yes, Lambert has a better CV as a manager than Deila.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Really?

Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Lambert was sacked from his first job as Livingston manager.

Wycombe Wanders he did alright, then went to Colchester? Did well with them in cups, then resigned then went to Norwich and did very well indeed. * off to Villa, and was sacked.

Thing is with Lambert - he doesn't have a very good track record of staying with his clubs for a reputable period (Norwich aside, which even then wasn't a huge length of time).

Deila has managed two clubs - won league titles in two countries, domestic cup competitions and has managed in Europe.

Lambert hasn't.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    For me Lambert is an average manager who's proved nothing, he has done nothing out of the ordinary as a manager.

Deila actually has by building up a small team into one of the best in their country. Everything Lambert has done has been done before by nobodies.

Had Lambert won or reached a couple of Cup finals, or signed and sold on a few great players then maybe you could say he'd done well but he's not really done anything. I'd give him Benteke, the signing of Benteke for £7million is the best thing he's done in his career.

Although you could argue he undone that by spending £22million on Kozak, Tonev, Okore, Sylla, Lowton and Benenett who are all *.