1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Transfer Window Rating

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Sonny7, Sep 1, 2015.

Discuss Our Transfer Window Rating in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We're actually worse off than when we played Malmo and are playing teams significantly better than them in Europe ... I think everyone has a right to be worried

2. saltire78

As I said on another thread, I believe that when the players we signed gel together we'll be all over the league. Until they do I think our midfield and strikers will shoot us out of trouble. But in the EL? I think there's a very real chance we're going to get shredded - big race to see if we can get them organized in time for the Molde matches; and therefore the home Ajax game afterwards. Don't think we've enough for Fenerbace at all; RVP and Nani will carve that defence to pieces.

So I gave us a 4... Enough for the domestic, but not Europe... Which is to say, not enough at all! Would've been a 3, but I think that between the young lads brought in, and the loans we've put out, I gave some credit because we may actually have the shapes of a * good team this time next year - provided we don't carve it up again!

3. Keano88

We need Simunovic or Blackett to be a beast.

At this moment I have more faith in Blackett, having seen him a few times.

4. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Absolute pish. I don't remember such a bad window since before Tommy took over.

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Wit about last summer, the only players we actually signed permanantly were Gordon, Duffy and Scepovic but we lost Forster, Watt and Samaras. Only saviour was Denayer turned out top quality on loan but even that barely made up for nuggets like Berget, Tonev, Wakaso and Guidetti.

6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This has been the worst in a long time. I am genuinely worried about this season now.

I hope Simunovic turns out to be another cracking buy but every single person who has seen him regularly has been relatively negative about him. That can't be a coincidence. 21 is young for a centre half though so hopefully Ronny has seen the potential in him.

It's too early to judge Boyata and Janko, but so far neither have been impressive. Unsure on Blackett but any United fan I know has said he's *.

Not signing a striker takes the biscuit though.

7. kieranc

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    7. We replaced every player sold this summer. It remains to be seen whether they're good enough and whether we've improved but you can't say either way if we've become weaker or stronger. If pushed I'd say weaker although it's very difficult to tell.

Bailly for Zaluska - seems like a decent move.

Janko for Matthews - looks promising.

Boyata for Denayer - probably weaker, jury's out.

Simunovic for van Dijk - highly rated but lost a massive player.

Blackett - cover for CB and Izzy, decent enough.

Scott Allan - McGeough's replacement if nothing else, can't see him making a massive impact.

Ryan Christie - one for the future.

Ciftci for Guidetti - hasn't ever been a great goalscorer, only one more than Josh Magennis minus penalties. Short of options up top.

Edit: a rating of five is more realistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I change mine from a 3 to a 2. :56:

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Overall, pretty underwhelmed with the signings as it appears they're mainly squad players. There hasn't been one that's got potential to challenge for a place other than maybe Blackett. So the same first teamers who shown * all against malmo away are left still getting picked every week and we have a * load of SPL level players to take on a difficult EL group.

Pish.

:54:

10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Doesn't seem so bad when you see it written down like that.

So far i'd say from start of last season to this:

Bailly > Zaluska
    Matthews = Janko ?
    Van Dijk > Boyata
    Denayer > Simunovic
    Blackett > O'Connell
    Allan > McGeouch
    GMS > Tonev
    Armstrong > Wakaso
    Rogic > Scepovic (not same position but fuckit)
    Guidetti = Ciftci ?

Only thing there is it's mostly squad players who've been replaced by better squad players. The two actual main first team players who for me were our best players Van Dijk and Denayer have been replaced by worse players although they always were going to be by default since we were never going to get as good a players it's still worrying that they are two unproven players at previous clubs rather than established experienced players.

11. Bazros

Fav Celtic Player:
    King Kenny and Henrik. Proud to have seen them both play.
    Aye, we've maybe gone for quantity over quality this transfer window. Aberdeen and Ajax away are our first 2 games after the internationals! Jeezo, the team selection's gonni be interesting for sure.

Here's hoping Simunovic isn't as bad as he's being made out to be.

12. Drosejr

3.5. Filled some gaps that were needed, but with players of lesser quality (ex Bailly). Inexcusable to allow Scep to go out on loan, and not replace with another striker. Injuries/suspensions up top would kill our chances in one or more competitions. Can't see any strengthening in January either, unless this Mötley Crüe (yes, that is autocorrected ) gets out of the Europa group. Delia will earn his pay this year if he gets a double.

13. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    If you would have told me we two weeks ago we will not sign another striker and go into a season fighting for 4 trophies with only two centre forwards at the club, i would have laughed/cried. Incredible even from this board.

14. Samurai Bhoy

Agreed. The strength of our back up players has arguably improved, but our 1st team has weakened considerably.
    We have a very inexperienced CB pairing (or back 4 if Lustig or Izzy aren't playing).
    Up front we got rid of Pukki, Balde, Scep, Fridge and Guidetti. We replaced those 5 players with Shifty. Yes, we got rid of deadwood but we need one more striker. Shocking that we are going into the EL with only Griff and the unproven Shifty.

I know Rogic is like a new signing but we can't really count him as one, it's his 3rd season. I reckon Christie could turn out to be a good signing but that's no good to us now.

15. Samurai Bhoy

Agreed. The strength of our back up players has arguably improved, but our 1st team has weakened considerably.
    We have a very inexperienced CB pairing (or back 4 if Lustig or Izzy aren't playing).
    Up front we got rid of Pukki, Balde, Scep, Fridge and Guidetti. We replaced those 5 players with Shifty. Yes, we got rid of deadwood but we need one more striker. Shocking that we are going into the EL with only Griff and the unproven Shifty.

I know Rogic is like a new signing but we can't really count him as one, it's his 3rd season. I reckon Christie could turn out to be a good signing but that's no good to us now.

I give a rating of 3 overall.

16. Samurai Bhoy

Just thinking about how I feel about each player individually.

Bailly - 6 - probably a better keeper than Zaluska so we seem stronger here.

Janko - 6 - Looks OK so far, good potential, still would like to have the experience of Matthews to deputise for Lustig when he gets injured.

Boyata - 5 - Gave a 5 cuz he is a major step down from Denayer and so far has shown lapses in concentration and wild passing that have proved costly. Hopefully match time will iron these issues out. Has potential.

Simunovic - 5 - Hard to tell, Zagreb fans seem to think he is *. Definitely a drop down in class from van Dijk but we had expected that. Again he is young so we'll have to see how he turns out.

Blackett - 5 - We really needed a replacement for Izzy, not a potential back up who is unproven (or if MAN U fans are to be believed, proven...to be *.) Though I do have a feeling he is the one, of all our new defenders, that might turn out to be a find.

Scott Allan - 6 - I give him a 6 because he is an improvement on McGeouch. Still don't think he will be any more than a bit player.

Ryan Christie - 8 - Apart from being for a position we don't need strengthening in, I am happy with this one. Young, potential, cheap, getting loaned back to gain experience, and he is a Celt.

Ciftci - 4 - Hope I'm proved wrong but I was against this from the start. And so far he hasn't shown much to change my mind. Still early yet so fingers crossed, but I won't be holding my breath.

Players going out.
    Overall I'd give a 6.
    Some smart loans as well as getting rid of the likes of Scep, Pukki, Balde and Fridge. Got rid of the hangers on that we loaned last year, almost forgot about players like Tonev and Wakaso.
    Would have liked to get rid of Derk and maybe Stokes, if we were going to replace him, but as it turned out I'm OK with keeping him now.

What we didn't do.
    This is where we come up short. We didn't strengthen our weak points. Only signed one striker, Shifty, to replace 5 outgoing strikers. Really need at least one more.
    We needed to get a LW and a LB and an experienced CB.

Overall rating of the window - 3.

17. Samurai Bhoy

Just thinking about how I feel about each player individually.

Bailly - 6 - probably a better keeper than Zaluska so we seem stronger here.

Janko - 6 - Looks OK so far, good potential, still would like to have the experience of Matthews to deputise for Lustig when he gets injured.

Boyata - 5 - Gave a 5 cuz he is a major step down from Denayer and so far has shown lapses in concentration and wild passing that have proved costly. Hopefully match time will iron these issues out. Has potential.

Simunovic - 5 - Hard to tell, Zagreb fans seem to think he is *. Definitely a drop down in class from van Dijk but we had expected that. Again he is young so we'll have to see how he turns out.

Blackett - 5 - We really needed a replacement for Izzy, not a potential back up who is unproven (or if MAN U fans are to be believed, proven...to be *.) Though I do have a feeling he is the one, of all our new defenders, that might turn out to be a find.

Scott Allan - 6 - I give him a 6 because he is an improvement on McGeouch. Still don't think he will be any more than a bit player.

Ryan Christie - 8 - Apart from being for a position we don't need strengthening in, I am happy with this one. Young, potential, cheap, getting loaned back to gain experience, and he is a Celt.

Ciftci - 4 - Hope I'm proved wrong but I was against this from the start. And so far he hasn't shown much to change my mind. Still early yet so fingers crossed, but I won't be holding my breath.

Players going out.
    Overall I'd give a 6.
    Some smart loans as well as getting rid of the likes of Scep, Pukki, Balde and Fridge. Got rid of the hangers on that we loaned last year, almost forgot about players like Tonev and Wakaso.
    Would have liked to get rid of Derk and maybe Stokes, if we were going to replace him, but as it turned out I'm OK with keeping him now.

What we didn't do.
    This is where we come up short. We didn't strengthen our weak points. Only signed one striker, Shifty, to replace 5 outgoing strikers. Really need at least one more.
    We needed to get a LW and a LB and an experienced CB.

Overall rating of the window - 3.

18. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    If you would have told me we two weeks ago we will not sign another striker and go into a season fighting for 4 trophies with only two centre forwards at the club, i would have laughed/cried. Incredible even from this board.

19. Markybhoy

2. The only reason I'm not giving it a 1 is because I haven't seen Simunovic play yet. If he turns out to be no good then it's a definite 1.

Not signing a striker has disgusted me. To go into a Europa League campaign with Leigh Griffiths, Nadir Ciftci and Anthony Stokes as your only three strikers is a * disgrace. A situation not befitting of a club the size of Celtic at all.

This squad is also dangerously threadbare now. We are one injury away from actually being in a quite a bit of trouble. If anything were to happen to Craig Gordon, Scott Brown or Leigh Griffiths things could get ugly fast(I only mention Griffiths in the context of domestic football, as far as the Europa League goes we are already screwed).

For all that I am disgusted by the board's inaction today I can't honestly claim to be surprised. The downsizing of this club has been ongoing for years and I suspect it's not finished yet. We may not be too far away from a time when even spending £1million on a player becomes an exception rather than the rule. That's how bad it's getting. Part of me has disengaged from it all. If the board won't invest financially in the team then I don't see why I should invest emotionally. Don't get me wrong, I still love Celtic, but a degree of apathy has most definitely set in for me. My hopes and expectations for Celtic are lower than they've been at any time since 1999. Frankly, there is just nothing to get excited about at the club right now. It's sad to have to say or feel that.

20. StevieBhoooy!

Absolute Pish!

But I'll only post it once!

:87: