1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How far will we progress in Champions league?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by scomur1888, Jul 10, 2015.

Discuss How far will we progress in Champions league? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Jesus * , There is positive and then there is the above :smiley-laughing002:

Anyway for me, make the groups and with a kind draw and some luck we could finish 3rd and see what happens in EL. I would settle for this right now.

2. wulliebad

Yeah getting humped out of the CL twice last year has that affect on me....its not like we have a new defence.

3. Dubliner1

We should be making the Group Stages at least every year. Otherwise it's a failure. We're NOT competing with the 4th Team from England, Spain, etc anymore. We should be going through against the teams were now up against.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    No we shouldn't.

We have a good chance but it's sheer arrogance to suggest we should be there every year.

Teams like Legia, Dinamo Zagreb etc are no mugs. Over two legs especially. The gap in quality isn't big enough nowadays for us to simply stroll past these sides.

5. Dubliner1

We are a far bigger club than the teams mentioned. It's NOT arrogance on my behalf. Financially we have more clout than these clubs and should be getting the right players in on our budget to make sure we do. If not then the scouting system needs to be looked at. Only my opinion

6. Keano88

What's the money for getting to the groups this year ?

7. Dubliner1

It's over 20 million with the new BT TV money

8. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * go from one extreme to the other on here.

Either we're * or aiming for the quarter finals of the Champions League.

The reality is that Ronny has built a decent wee team on a reduced budget. One which we should hope will qualify for the CL and give a good account of itself there.

As has been said, group stage would be good. 3rd place in the group would be excellent.

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

As always, last 16 for me is the ultimate success. Anything past that is a massive bonus an I'm not even thinking about that.

A good account of ourselves in a tough group with 4th place and I'm ok, 3rd place and Europa League and I'm excited to do some damage there.

10. Patstar67

Think we should be good enough to get into the league format but only wish we had greater opposition in our own league as this would make all the players better equipped to play at a higher tempo, it's obvious when we play champions league football we often find the pace and the lack of time on the ball difficult to cope with but Ronnie is building a team that is looking to play a different style of football and with one or two new signings could do well this year

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We are a far bigger club in name, yes. Not in quality of player anymore.

We have better players than the majority of sides that we come up against but that doesn't mean we will go through. The gap in quality between our players and the ones we come up against in the play-offs moreso, isn't big enough for us to simply consider qualification a formality. If we had Larsson leading the line with all the other regulars from 10 year ago then, aye. I'd agree. It's not the case though.

I disagree entirely. It is arrogance if you think we should get there in our current state. Financial 'clout' ? What, spending £2m on a striker max? That doesn't guarantee you passage to the CL, I'm afraid.

Teams like Legia, Zagreb, Malmo etc always pop up with good level players who then go on to better things around Europe. On their day they are more than capable of beating us over two legs, as we have unfortunately seen.

As McManus said above, it's always one extreme to the other on here and with Celtic fans in general. One minute it's panic stations after a * performance against Dukla(plus a rotten first half against Sociedad) next minute we should be strolling the qualifiers.:56:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  12. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Out in the play=off.

Ridiculous format

13. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Presuming we make the tournament, 4th seems likely. Push for 3rd depending on the group.

14. DiomansyKamara

Why is it a ridiculous format? Its an extremely kind passage to the CL in the champions section that gives us a good chance every year.

15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think we'll get to the play off qualifier, after that it's a lottery. A lot will depend on who we get (obviously), but I have the fear we will drop out there. If we get to the group stages I'll be delighted with that, it's progress over last season and will give us a building block (and funds) to push on from there next season.

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'm guessing because we ARE champions and have to play 3 qualifiers, where 2nd and 3rd place teams from other leagues get automatic entry to group stages. In the CHAMPIONS League?

17. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

I think it's vital that we get to the group stages considering the money we would receive, even if we finished 4th in the group I wouldn't be too bothered tbh.

Getting the group stage money this season would enable us to spend more cash next summer and enable us to make a real impression next season.

If we get put out in the play off round I assume we would be seeded for the Europa League qualifier ?

18. VikingBhoy

If we get put out in the play-off round we go straight to the EL group stage, like last year

19. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

Aw * aye, I'll blame that on it being early in the morning :smiley-laughing002: :50:

20. ruzzle76

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubomir moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the willy maley song
    think this team now could give a few teams a fright imo. but I suppose how far we can get depends on the draw. but getting there and giving a decent account of themselves id be happy with that.