1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stokes or Šćepović?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Vertie Auld, Jul 7, 2015.

Discuss Stokes or Šćepović? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I liked the Stokes/Izzy combination on the left in quite a few games, but now that we have better players to go there ... Stokes is kinda surplus, unless he doesn't mind being thrown into unimportant games when the other guys need a rest.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It was. How many of those 26 has stokes started up top? Not very many..
    I've already stuck up 3 off my head where he's created, which shows he brings something to us as that's 5 between us already out of 26 that he's had a hand in goals..

Might mean fuckall but we're getting somewhere on the stats chart..

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Keep trying to defend the indefensible.

Callum McGregor wasn't playing up top and matched Stokes' 5 season tally in the space of 15 days and 3 games.

4. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Nobody argues that Stokes is good enough for Europe he's still one of the best players in Scotland where we play most of our games that's why people say keep him

5. oh bhoy

Dont think stokes fits into the way we are trying to play but he is still light years ahead of that other donkey

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    My argument, from the off in here, is that stokes is a more than good enough squad player and that plenty others should be punted before him..

7. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Byebye for Stokes me thinks. Times up. He's spent years here and couldn't cut it on the big stage (old firm, europe). Surprised he hasn't gone sooner. Yes, domestically usually sound but to many other big game players now in attack so he's surplus to requirement.

Scepovic...If Ciftci comes...then he'll be backup...shame, he needs game time.

8. Conor1888

Stokes for me :shamrock:

9. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Scep, purely because I don't see Stokes as a striker.

10. Damnati

Regardless of opinions on individual ability, Stokes has been by far our most effective player on the left. I don't think he's popular because he isn't quick or flash but it's hard to argue with the stats.

11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

This ''He's brilliant in the league so he will do for Europe'' attitude is why we are humbled in Europe by mediocre teams. It's an attitude a minority of fans have, thankfully Ronny doesn't have it. Lenny did, taking nothing away from his success in Europe, we still had our awful performances.

I'm all for keeping him and having him make a difference off the bench in the league and in the odd game to rest the starters.

But if he isn't good enough and not going to play in Europe, why would he have a regular place domestically? Makes no sense.

12. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Scepovic has done nothing in the hoops. * him. Stokes has contributed to us winning titles and qualifying for the CL. We always need to have a whipping boy. At this moment in time it is Stokes. If he leaves and Efe is not in the team then they will likely pick Commons again or maybe Griff will go out of fashion again.

13. Damnati

I can see your point, but playing in Europe is a completely different game tactically purely because we won't have as much of the ball. Stokes' guile and creativity against a team sitting behind the ball is invaluable. See Shakhter Karangandy for a European example.

14. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    He played well against AC in the San Siro as well and hit the bar from a free kick. His European goal record is poor but some of his performances have been good.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Amazing moment and I love him for it, but it can't keep being brought up when arguing whether we should let him stick around in the hope it might happen again.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Instantly disregard your opinion with a daft comment like that.

It has been one season, in which he has been in and out of the team. It's fine if you don't rate him, but that attitude is stinking.

17. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I'm heartbroken. Anyway the title of this thread is an insult to Stokes who has played a big part over the last half decade. He has had the most assists in 4 of these seasons. Scepovic has done nothing in the hoops and until he does. * him.

18. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    We play 50-60 odd games a year in Scotland and only 12-14 in Europe ( if where Lucky) do you think Armstrong will get even half the goals and assists in Scotland that Stokes would I wouldn't say Armstrong would do any better in Europe in terms of goals and assists but his Ball retention is why Armstrong is great for Europe it'd kinda like Kris and maybe even Mulgrew there not good enough for Europe Mulgrew not even a 1st team player anymore but we still need them for Scotland

19. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Also for the record I think Scep actually has something about him. But I will not vote for him over a player who has actually produced for us. Until a player does the business for us I couldnt care less, when they do then they get respect. Hence * scepovice and respect to Tony Stokes.

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We are never going to improve if we just stick to SPFL standard. Armstrong is a different player, I'd much rather him than Stokes so let's not go down that road.

We don't ''need'' them. We can move them on, give youth a chance when starters like Armstrong need a rest or get a better player in altogether, to improve the team.