1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Ronny won you over

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Feb 19, 2015.

Discuss Has Ronny won you over in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheHappyLoss

Had huge doubts about the guy, but yes I'm won over. The guy has shown great strength to come over here and recover from an aweful start. Stuck to what he believes in. Deserves huge credit for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  2. AlbaGuBrath

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjällby, Lustig, Brown, Lubo, McStay, Bonner
    Doubt we'd have played like that against any of the top teams. What Ronny done was set up against Inter Milan current not Inter Milan the legend, which many managers tend to do.

I backed Ronny from day one. Knew it would take time of course. My patience probably slipped a wee bit before I realised we were actually on a very good run.

I understand not backing him in the summer. He earned Armstrong and GMS and if we keep this momentum up he'll earn a purse with looser strings. But buying big clearly isn't his style. If he wants Lennoxtown upgraded instead of a £5m player then i'm happy with his judgement.

3. Swervedancer Guest

Yeah I always said a guy with that attitude to how the game should be played must be given time and more than just one season. It's a rare species a manager willing play the way the fans want the game to be played, but it's rarer still to get someone willing to do it on a tight budget. Of course it's wrong to count our chickens but it plain to see we have spells of wonderful play. More importantly the team just kept going non stop even after the first 15 mins. He seems to be able to instil his energy and attitude to the game into the players. I did seem very confused when I was at the Maribor game because he didn't get Berget off and I was wondering how could someone miss that. But then I have to remember when someone moves to a big club the learning curve in the first season never mind couple of months is massive. I also remember he said Celtic are a Europa Standard team which annoyed me a little but I knew it was true cause we did get skelped last season. And being in Europa this season has been a huge boost I think. We were destined to lose twice in the UCL qualifiers because we've been able to play more games at a more reasonable level for a team in transition than we would ever have in the UCL. We'd have been out before Christmas probably with a dent to confidence and no idea how we would approadh the qualifiers next season.

So yeah, loop de loop for the Rollercoaster is how does the team react now we are right into this style and are expecting it to continue. It will get much better, just expect there to be a few dips too. At least two seasons I would give a visionary like this and hope he stays for 4 because it's guaranteed moneybags from down South will be sniffing around this summer and onwards. Seems like he wouldn't bolt though. Looking forward to an exciting few years.

I agree, let him be in total control of his plan. Confidence is the key factor in what he's doing so he needs total backing. I think he could buy expensive players if he had the budget. He's just seems to believe in the hidden talent amongst young homegrown players after his time in Norway. Mind you I doubt he would like egos much.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  4. centenary88

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    When we brought him in I like most had never heard of him , then after searching about him I was impressed not only by Ronny and his work at Stromsgodset but by Celtic's fore sight to bring in an up and coming manager..

I find it very interesting how similar Ronny was in his philosophy to the great Tommy Burns with the fitness regimes the forward thinking , attacking and speed play.. Encouraging players to express themselves and not be afraid of mistakes. Both had an incredible thirst for knowledge of how other top clubs function on a football aspect and both visited other clubs regularly.

I said in the Rosenberg thread that you could feel the buzz about Deila's Celtic , everyone is on board. Our next game cant come quick enough as we all want to see the Celtic way.

5. Ricardinho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think he's doing an Ok job and the level of criticism early on was unfair! We weren't great early on in the season but not many teams when they change manager and change their style of play are. Always takes time to adapt and it seems to be that it's beginning to really pay off.

Not sure if it's been raised already but how many managers have had us in Europe after Christmas in their first season in charge? None that I can think of, Champions League was a mess but considering the time he had, I wouldn't dump the blame for that on him.

Hopefully onwards and upwards!

6. rickyroma25

I was always behind him, and when he hits a tough patch in the future (which he will) I will still be behind him.

I just hope he gets the finanacial backing he deserves.

7. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Anyone who says no is a *. Simple as that

8. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I dont agree with that. I have been his harshed critic right up until January but lately i can really see it coming together, to the point where i would be surprised if he doesnt do the business. Europe is the yardstick though, he absolutely needs to qualify for the CL this year at least. 1 year of transition is fine but anymore than that and we have a problem. This is not a dig at him by the way before people start, I am just saying qualification for CL and league title should be the minimum requirement.

9. doctor venglos

There you go again, slating any Celtic fans who have a differrent opinion from you

While there has been a distinct improvement in the team over the last two months and we have been getting results, we still have won absolutely nothing yet. The correct time to properly assess and guage Deila's stewardship is at the end of the season when they give the prizes out, not before.

10. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony

11. OlafTheHairy

Seen from here in Norway I must admit I feared for Ronny after the CL qualification debacle. I would assume the Scottish sports media is a bit like the Norwegian, mainly populated with ex-players and ex-managers. Those people tend to keep their loyalties and stick up for their own. The Celtic job is probably the biggest manager job in Scottish football, and I would think plenty of people in the Scottish media do not take kindly to an unknown Norwegian getting the job.

Ronny is more of a builder and developer, and he will need time to really change the club the way he wants it. He did a tremendous job at Strømsgodset with limited resources. At Celtic I would think he will want to focus on your youth teams and the training facilities. I think if he is given time, he will do very well indeed for you.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    CL qualification isn't as easy as it looks though.

The first qualifier should be a walk in the park but the next two we are coming up against good level European sides.

Lennon scraped by in his last season.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

No, its Richard :86:

14. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    That immediately made me think of Black ops zombies :56:

15. wulliebad

CL start comes at the worst * time for splfplfplf clubs.
    Before our season starts and after other country's season has kicked off giving them a head start over our teams in term of fitness and sharpness.
    It is also rather tough with our clubs funds getting players in quickly and getting them ready for any CL games.
    But when we buy in the jan window we get players already into their season and good to go.
    It would be rather unfair to judge ronny for anything that happened so soon after he got here (CL train crash) but he is now making his mark on the team with a few players in and some good signings.
    Can't wait to see how he has done with wakaso and if he manages to turn him into izzy's replacement,even more so if the guy can cross a ball.

I have been saying from the start he needs a full season under his belt and to make some signings so its his team and not just a lennon's team that has been * about with.

Inter game showed some signs of exciting things ahead.

16. Crispy Bacon

Fav Celtic Player:
    at present-Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hugh, is that you? What you doin on a Celtic forum? Nothing better to do with your time I take it.

17. CanadianBhoy9

I used to think he was the wrong answer.

Totally wrong and couldn't be happier.