1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Four arrested at Dons game

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jinky., Nov 7, 2014.

Discuss Four arrested at Dons game in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For me it's not about keeping politics out of football; it's about not forcing people to take part in a mark of respect for something some of them don't respect at all (and I think most of us feel deeply ambivalent about).

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That would actually be epic. :56::56::56::56:

3. Danxy67

Haven't read the full thread so apologies if this has already been covered. But don't the establishment say in their little eulogy that these "brave men and women fought and died for our freedom"? If fans are being arrested for breaking a minutes silence and having a different point of view from the masses, did they really die for freedom?

4. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    next year on remembrance sunday, I think it would be a great idea to hold a minute's silence to remember the dead.
    and yes, i'm talking about those brave men who sacrificed everything in an attempt to emulate a hated enemy.
    of course i'm talking about Ranjurs F.C. ( 1882 - 2012 ) R.I.P.
    those brave lads, commanded by General ''iron legs'' Murray went over the top and eventually over a cliff in an suicidal attempt to conquer Europe.
    and as like previous disastrous battles. i.e, the somme, market garden and paschendale this was only going to end in one way. DEATH.
    so next year, on the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month we'll bow our heads, snigger and remember r,f.c. who DIED chasing ''a trophy too far''

and I hope those zombie * over at sevco f.c will show the same respect and follow our lead.

5. The Celtic Way

hahahaah listen crazy people :56::56::56:

6. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People weren't forced to take part though. The fans that didn't want to take part could've waited in the concourse or outside the stadium until the silence was over (like the GB done in 2012 at Celtic Park). Shouting or singing over it achieves nothing and it gives our enemies the ammo they crave.

7. The Celtic Way

sean we need translation of this one :56::56::56:

8. C2911

Pretty much this.

Far too many hun accusations flying about tonight (although some of them could probably be justified).

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I refer you to my IRA analogy. If we held a minute's silence for the fallen of the IRA, would you think it reasonable to expect any fans of other clubs who strongly disagreed with this mark of respect to meekly wait outside until it was over before entering the ground and taking the seat they had paid for?

Personally I'd defend their right to express their opinions in whatever form seemed reasonable to them at the time.

10. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Auld Davie will return ... better ... faster ... more illiterate than before

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    If you wanted to watch the entire match ( which you had paid for) youwere forced to take part or risk been arrested.)

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That one was far too advanced even for me. :smiley-laughing002: Pretty sure somewhere in there was we are to show more respect for the Aberdonians that catch our fish for our fish suppers. :56:

13. Jinky.

Anyone who paid money and bought their ticket shouldn't be forced to 'wait outside'.

14. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The rememberence day silence is more complicated than the analogy you put forward. Thousands of Celtic fans (and a few players) fought and died in the wars these silences are supposed to respect, equally thousands of Celtic fans in Ireland or of Irish decent legitimately see the British army as the enemy. It's a tricky one and the best way to approach it is respectfully and with a cool head imo.

If fans do want to shout and holler during the silence then they can knock themselves out, I certainly don't think they should be arrested for it but they should be concious of how it reflects on our football club.

15. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Waiting in the concourse wouldn't make you miss a second of the match though.

16. strike twice

2 small things to add to the debate ; 1 , I'm mighty glad that there wasn't too many Celtic fans making a mockery of the minutes silence . Regardless of how one feels about this seemingly ever more militaristic British state .
    2 , The word " loons " as used in previous posts actually refers to Boys/young Men . No doubt that poster would refer to a Girl/young Woman as a Quine .

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's the principle of freedom of political expression, though. My point was that, with a legitimate political point of view, it wouldn't seem reasonable to expect them to wait meekly outside until it was over. Why is it then reasonable to expect it of people with legitimate grievances against the British army?

As for your last point, I tend to agree that interrupting the silence achieves very little and just upsets people with loved ones in the army for little gain. My own feelings are in favour of just letting people who want to celebrate it do so without interrupting. Indeed, I'd probably just reflect on those who died fighting the Nazis or the waste of young lives entailed by any war. That doesn't give me the right to look down on those who make a different choice, though. Unlike thousands from Ireland to Iraq, I've not lost a loved one at the hands of the organisation concerned, so it's easy for me to sit here and type that.

18. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Quite simply it's because we're in Scotland/UK and if some of our fans do act up there is a media who relish sticking the boot in to make us look bad.

The situation is what it is, I prefer it if it passes off with the minimum of fuss ever year but some of our fans keep giving these * what they want.

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Didn't go to the game today but for the record previously I have always chosen to miss the start of the game. However I fully support every individual been allowed to treat the silence however they choose and genuinely couldn't care less how the media portray it.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I also prefer that it pass with the minimum of fuss and with the minimum of emotional pain on both sides of this particular political divide. :54:

Two things:

1) By using the term "acting up" you are once again presupposing the very thing that we are disagreeing about: namely that those who do not respect the silence are doing something wrong.
    2) Although we are in Scotland, some things are more important than our PR. Freedom of political expression is definitely one of those. I do understand your concern, though.