1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth/Development Team Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Oct 25, 2014.

Discuss Youth/Development Team Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's alright saying our youth system should be the bollocks but if it's not filtering right through the first team and down (which I don't believe it has), then it's still flawed . I can see with Ronny and big Kennedy from the youths and Collins who was involved in the Scotland unders, that changing drastically through every age group..

Look at frails comments about trying to copy/implement the first teams intensity/tempo for a start, to see the mindset changing..

2. St.Mick

I try to watch most of the development games and ive got to say this current squad is poor, McGrath left Celtic a few years ago due to discipline issues from what I was told, moved down south didn't work there so came back home and joined Hamilton, got released in January so Celtic sign him ! I don't see the appeal myself, not a bad player but imo offers nothing that wasn't already there, he's just taking a slot from younger lads in the academy. I know im not the only one who wonders where Calviin Miller got his potential superstar tag from as anytime ive watched him and he's been mediocre at best, and hides when the going gets tough,and Still cant see what made us sign Duffy. Young Thomson is the one that stands out for me , always wants the ball, and is willing to push forward and take his chances, looks a potential leader on the park, Jamie Lindsay is good defensive player, breaks up the attacks and isn't scared to mix it when required as well as being able to push forward and have a go. The problem for me is with the coaching, why is it called the development squad when there are so many first team players involved in it and the lads that need to develop are stuck on the bench week in week out, seems like its win at all costs, development comes a poor second to winning, and I know all the other teams are the same, u just have to look at the team Aberdeen put out last week. I think there is a change needed in the way the development squad play as when they are put under pressure they seem to panic and lose their shape, I could go on, point im trying to make is id look at the coaching and signing policy cause at the moment its not working

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Coach has said we're trying to change the game to how the seniors have and look how long that's taken. Maybe that's the reason as to why we've been poorer this year?

We all know most kids don't make it at top clubs, unless you have decades old philosophies like an Ajax. We're doing brilliant at the moment if we get a player through every few years. That's the reality..

4. Murph-E

Dundee United have brought through and developed a lot more than us in the last five years, and they're in the same domestic league with much less funding for youth facilities and coaching. It's not acceptable imo.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Because they are solely reliant on youth and have no demands otherwise. We are not solely reliant on youth and the demands are driven for success and Europe which means money on quality and less time on youth demands..

I did hear lawwell or Deila mention this week or last on focusing a long term vision on producing and developing our kids as well as Ronny highlighting what facilities need changing at lennoxtown across the board, which again is a breath of fresh air and encouraging ..

6. Murph-E

All just talk for now. Our record for producing players for a decade now is really abysmal, wide scale changes are desperately needed.

Saying that, there's a good chance the decent quality players just aren't in Scotland anymore. In Scotland's u-21 and u-19 teams just now, are there any serious top prospects beyond Ryan Gauld? Henderson is a maybe, shows glimpses of quality but he's not a serious top prospect if we're being honest. He's not at the level McGeady was at when he was the same age.

7. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Henderson will be brilliant. He may even become world class. Im glad he is getting game time out wide but he is a central midfielder without doubt

8. Big C

Agreed Henderson will be great for us and I am also delighted he is getting game time, world class not so sure but here's hoping.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Jack Harper the Madrid unders number 10 role midfielder, although he was developed and brought up in Spain.
    You said it yourself, it's been a national problem since the 80's really, domestically more kids are coming through at united, hearts etc etc as opposed to years ago when hearts, hibs, us, united, sheep etc were all flooded with foreigners who were good to * but either way we all (mostly barring hibs for a spell) shat on youth development..

Now the seniors are playing football (the right way), we have developed this right through the youth sides and it's just starting to take shape..

I definitely think our game and clubs are on the right track, due to lack of money and focus on academies and youth development which in the long run, will be to our games benefit. How good it will be, remains to be seen..

By the way, mcgeady was an exceptional talent, he was also a completely different player to Henderson who is a dynamic all action box to box midfielder (for me), as opposed to mcgeady who was a pacey, two footed, creative winger with bags of technical ability..
    Henderson has the tools to have it all in the central midfield role in my view, only 18 as well and physically already has it as well as no fear. Carries on improving and we have a quality mainstay on our hands, I hope..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  10. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Potentially. He is classier now than a lot of established players. He reminds me of the maestro

11. Vertie Auld

Jaison McGrath (19, striker) has re-signed. He left Celtic for Sunderland but it didn't work out for him and he ended up at Hamilton. Made 4 senior appearances for them. Scored a header for the development squad on his return.

12. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Utd have bought quite a few from Queens Park over the last few years , just that we didn't get I. first

13. Murph-E

Jack Harper, some potential there maybe? But I really don't see any chance of Henderson developing into a world class player. As a whole though, it can't be denied our youth system has produced * all quality over a decade now.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Henderson won't come to much, I don't think. Had high hopes for him when he broke through because he performed well, but this season I haven't been impressed.

Aye you're right, our youth system needs looked at, should be producing far better players.

15. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We need a youth coach(es) in the mould of RD if we want to progress that way. He's making the right noises regarding our future so hopefully he has a few guys in mind to bring here and shake things up.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ridiculous comments, I've got high hopes for Henderson, done well when he has come in.

World class is a stupid pressure. Only Henrik fits that billing in recent history.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's not ridiculous. I hope he does well but I just can't see it, for a start where does he play? Seems that people are split between him playing CM or a more advanced position. No matter what position, he has a lot of competition.

18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He's 18 and is on the fringe of the Celtic team, and has been impressive whenever he's played. To say he won't come to much is ridiculous.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's been poor quite a few times as well. If he was impressive every time he came on he'd be featuring more than he is.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

Poor? Naw he husnae.

Was a substitute against Inter Milan ffs :56::56::56::rolleyes: