1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Drink drive limit to be reduced in Scotland

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Oct 24, 2014.

Discuss Drink drive limit to be reduced in Scotland in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If passed by Scottish Parliament the drink drive limit will be reduced on December 5th from 80mg to 50 mg.

Thing is, even though i don't drink, i could still fail that test because i am diabetic.

2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Its my understanding, that we are just falling into line with pretty much the rest of Europe ? Would the blood test not show you had not been drinking ?

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    What's that in units/pints ?
    Always had it in my head that you could have "one drink" like a pint and that was it.
    Take it this would cut most down to a half pint/shandy at best?

I don't drive anyway. But be nice to know.

4. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Yes it would but for that to happen they have to arrest me and take me to police station before taking the blood test.
    If i refused to go to police station even knowing full well that i havent been drinking they would arrest me.
    No * chance are they going to do that with me.

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

From a Daily Telegraph article

"Cutting the limit to 50mg could put drivers over the limit after one strong pint of lager or a glass of wine."

6. Verrix

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA & Fields
    It can really vary depending upon how much blood you have in you, i.e. how big/heavy you are. Then there are all the other factors, e.g. hydration, strength of beer, etc. The best advice is simply not to drink at all if you think you are likely to be driving within the next few hours.

7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Enjoy your christmas parties Bhoys and Ghirls, don't drink more than half a pint or half a glass of wine if you drive.

8. mls1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura and Moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I never understand those who drive and only have the one pint. I don't see the point.

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The only time i drink is when on holiday abroad. Since we don't drive when abroad it's ok.
    If my wife wants a drink with her meal at a restaurant then i drive and vice versa.

I never ever drink and drive.

10. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I welcome that....can only be a good thing.

11. wulliebad

If it was up to me I would make it zero....nil.....zip......* all.
    then there is no excuse no grey area what so ever......oh I thought 2 drinkes was ok offiserrrrrr.....hic.

its my one rule in life......got the car....no drink no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  12. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    :50:
    Should not drive at all after drinking. In Sweden its even illegal to drive after one 3,5% beer.

13. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :50:

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Is there really a need anyway ? Unlesd you drink to get drunk then it's a waste of time and money.

Driving after a drink is a cunty thing anyway.

15. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree that drink driving limit should be zero but for one problem.
    Alcohol occurs naturally in the body and for some (un)lucky people it's enough to make them over the limit without touching a drink.
    Diabetics can give false positive readings because of what their illness does to the body so if it was zero, however laudable an idea, it would cause problems for a lot of innocent people.

16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Don't drive but when I eventually do I would never drink and drive. Know somebody who stole a Subaru from a showroom with his best mate, and crashed it killing his best pal and getting about 6 year in the process, all because of drink.

17. Onefootwonder

Don't most people choose to get tested by a breath sample?

You get tested at the roadside by breath but that machine isn't the most accurate. You then get two tests back at the station and the lowest reading is taken as your figure.

I don't read anything about that being reduced.

I'm assuming that the blood reading was more relaxed than the breath sample and they are lowering it to be consistent with the breath?

Either way I don't drink and drive. The following day I keep away from the car if I've had a fair amount the night before.

18. wulliebad

Some country's have zero so there must be something in the system to allow for people being diabetic.....granted being scotland it will be a few years....5-10 before scotland gets up to speed with this.:smiley-laughing002:

19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Why should people who have diabetes and cause false positives because of their illness have to go to a police station because their breathalyser machines aren't accurate.
    You can't drive your vehicle to the station and the police will charge you for impounding it.
    Why can't they have the blood alcohol checks done at the roadside.

20. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    found this interesting article about Breathalysers

Breathalyzer Myths

[​IMG] Food can Fool an Alcohol Breath Tester - False

Food before you drink can slow the passage of alcohol into your blood stream but it won’t help you beat a breathalyzer test. A breath alcohol tester does not "smell" alcohol on your breath the way an officer can. Masking the smell of alcohol with breath mints, onions, gum or anything else won’t change the alcohol content of your breath or the reading on a quality alcohol breath tester.

Coffee Helps Me Sober-up Faster and Lower My BAC - False

Coffee is a great substitute for another alcoholic drink after you’ve had too many, but it will not change or mask your breath alcohol content (BAC). Only time will reduce your BAC.

Mouthwash & Breathspray will Fool a Breath Tester - True and False

Mouthwash and breath spray may mask the smell of alcohol on your breath, however using these substances just prior to a breath test may actually increase the BAC level you register. Mouthwash and breath sprays frequently contain alcohol and will leave residual alcohol in your mouth and on your breath for up to fifteen minutes after use. You are very likely to register a higher result if you use these products a few minutes prior to being breath tested. It is important to note here that obtaining an accurate alcohol test result requires two things: 1) an accurate instrument and 2) utilization of proper testing procedures. That is why it is universally accepted that an accurate result requires waiting 15 minutes to take the breath sample after the tested subject has put anything into his her mouth.

[​IMG] Nyquil Will Set Off a Breath Detector - True

Nyquil and other similar products do contain alcohol, just like beer, wine, and liquor. As such, they can contribute to or cause inebriation if consumed in sufficient quantities. Alcohol testing devices do not differentiate between types or brands of drinks; they merely provide an accurate indication of BAC.

My Breathalyzer Test was Positive Because I'm a Diabetic - True and False

Quality fuel cell based breath testers such as LifeGuard and those used by Law Enforcement are not affected by ketones, a class of chemicals often produced in the body of persons with diabetes. However, this is another example of where semiconductor alcohol testers can react to other substances in the breath besides alcohol and thus result in false positives and false accusations.

[​IMG] Pennies will Absorb Alcohol and Fool a Breathalyzer - False

A penny in your mouth or under your tongue will not change your level of intoxication or fool a quality breathalyzer. Pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, etc. do not absorb or mask alcohol. As a matter of proper testing protocol, officers make sure you have no substances in your mouth before conducting a breath alcohol test. Finding loose change in your mouth is likely to raise suspicions that you have something to hide.

Breathalyzers can be Triggered by Other Substances - True and False

This true or not based on the breath alcohol detection technology used in your breath tester. LifeGuard, like our Law Enforcement units, is alcohol specific because it utilizes fuel cell sensing. LifeGuard is not triggered by other substances such as ammonia, carbon monoxide and ketones, as will the inexpensive semiconductor breathalyzers.

Semiconductor detection technology is not alcohol specific and will react to many other volatile substances in the breath or in the air. This can easily cause false readings.

Perfume can Cause an Incorrect Reading - Highly Unlikely

Perfume may contain alcohol but this evaporates from the skin and disappears within seconds or minutes. Additionally, since quality breath testers are closed loop, sealed systems where one breathes directly into the mouthpiece the amount of residual alcohol in the environment is basically not a factor as the device is sampling only lung air. This one is highly unlikely.

Cigarette Smoke can Damage My Breathalyzer - True

Alcohol testing devices frequently warn consumers not to blow cigarette smoke into the device as it will damage the unit.

Cigarette smoke can reduce the life of a fuel cell sensor so it should not be blown directly into the LifeGuard.