1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Should celtic pursue joining the EPL

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jozo The Provo, Oct 16, 2014.

Discuss Should celtic pursue joining the EPL in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Exactly how I feel about the premier league all from are song book that would be left would be ynwa and the fields of athenry

Without supports football is nothing

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Don't forget LTPS! We'd still have that!

Because Lawwell likes a good laugh as much as anyone

4. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Well one the one positive from the whole trying to removing are culture is that song now has meaning

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It has certainly acquired an additional, ironic meaning. :54:

6. The Celtbot

Another country? Last I checked Scotland didn't get their independence. They even share the same roads and currency, it's not like they'd be traveling over to Ireland for the games. There are plenty of teams playing in England that I bet are a closer drive to Glasgow than going up into the highlands, but I'm not going to pretend to know how far fans would have to drive or fly since I don't live in the UK. It would still be more ideal than a European league we are apart of. Imagine league fixtures in Belgium or Holland, that would be a distance to travel. I also don't think we'd have to sacrifice our Scottish soul either, we'd simply take it with us with us like we do when we travel Europe. Half of our fixtures would be in Glasgow anyway.

7. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    There is absolutely no way if we went to England that we would have the same culture song book etc anybody who thinks we would is 100% wrong

8. The Celtbot

You may be right, I would hope we could force the board to step down in a situation like that. Our current board is trying to * us in every which way to bring in more money. If we do indeed play in England, that goal would be achieved and I'd hope the board would naturally allow the club to appeal to new fans and take advantage of new tv markets and brand marketing. I don't think we'd have to try so hard and bend over backwards every time money was thrown at us. We'd actually be able to choose and hopefully not be so money obsessed with every decision. If we could keep the GB and bring in some other hardcore ultras, I could only see that as an asset that sets us apart from other clubs. I don't think the current board would dare sell that down the river and risk the atmosphere that everybody admires about us. The problem is they take it for granted, but I don't think their stupid enough to completely sell this club out to every Brit who wants to identify with their Irish ancestors living across England.

9. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    That's the end game for the bored I think to replace us with someone else because the boreds only objective is to make money not to listen to what everybody else want tbh if it did happen it would be celtic to me
    the supporters are the most important part of the club imo and that's something that can never be replaced or bought no matter how much tv money you throw at it

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We're a PLC. As far as any PLC board is concerned, money is the whole point.
    Ordinary people would choose to work fewer hours and enjoy more leisure if given a pay rise; most entrepreneurs and all businesses would do the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  11. The Celtbot

If that's true then most clubs are not run as businesses since their are operating at a loss and mountains of debt. Our board penny pinches on everything because we can't afford to spend money on the level that other clubs do. If we had that kind of money I think we'd see a different attitude to how the club is run, hopefully not heaping amounts of debt, but I doubt we'd be penny pinching and sucking the life out of the club like we are now. The fear of the unknown is always going to prevent this, but even Lennon was entertaining the idea and hoping for it. He knows that we can't compete on the level that he wants our club to under the current conditions. It's not our fault but the rest of Scottish football. The only people who truly know what they'd do with all the extra premier league money are the ones that run this club, so speculating is kind of pointless. I would hope we don't sell out the club one way or the other. :shamrock:

12. Seosamh Máirtín

Bad performances like tonight would strengthen the claim to move away from the Scottish league. We are very nearly getting beat at home against a Romanian side. It's soul destroying seeing the state of the team, at the minute. No progress will be made in the future until we have a better platform to operate from.

13. port boy

Why would there be a huge influx of new fans? Does any other new team to the EPL pick up thousands of new fans?

14. Seosamh Máirtín

Yes. Some people just like going to see the opposition team, sometimes, otherwise the likes of Wigan wouldn't have crowds more than 10k :56:

15. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Where a household name mate especially in Ireland all the gloryhunters would all be on the bandwagon

16. ThisIsGhod

Before I was opposed to it but now because we are hardly seeing any changes in Scottish Football because of the fuddy duddy tradionalist ideology in our game ,I Think Celtic and Rangers really have no choice but to move.

17. port boy

So they'll all chuck Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal etc to seek glory with a team who will be hard pressed to finish in the top half of the league?

18. made in ireland

What's this based on?

Right now Celtic play in stadiums which are usually half-empty (if we're being generous), and where the atmosphere is non-existent more often than not. Celtic currently play in a league and country where their identity, culture and politics has been despised since the club's inception. The club play in a league and jurisdiction which has (to a large degree) successfully painted a picture of Irish nationalism and republicanism as being 'two sides of the same coin' to sectarianism and bigotry- and which has seen Celtic supporters being criminalised for singing Irish songs.

But the truth of the matter is, the Celtic fans won't stand for it. The crowd that travelled to Dingwall on Saturday is evidence of that, and shows that Celtic supporters will not accept having expressions of their (and the club's) history and politics being silenced. And it will be this same crowd that will/would travel to see Celtic play against Burnley, Hull, Liverpool and Newcastle etc if the club ever played in an English league- and you can be sure they'll take the same song-book, identity and expressions of politics with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  19. Stevieg78

Why not? isn't our culture different to the rest of the teams in Scotland as it would be in england?

haven't people been trying to take away our songs for years?

What would be different?

20. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Because with all the new celtic fans they would be able to finally do it