1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Which TC members are going to Hell?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Jack Torrance, Oct 12, 2014.

Discuss Which TC members are going to Hell? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Someone's brain washed in here

2. North

I haven't cut and pasted anything.

And of course the Church has lost its relevance with the majority of people! I'm not blind, man! That doesn't mean people don't need it. The majority of people have abandoned the Catholic faith and are going to *. They need the Church more than ever!

* save us from the pestilential error that truth, beauty and goodness are solely dependent upon the whims of society. Plato is spinning in his grave!

False. The majority of Catholics for the most part of the Church's history came from the former territories of the Roman Empire and their languages all descended from the vulgar Latin of the Empire, the same Latin that is now ecclesiastical Latin. You're projecting your own difficulties with Latin onto others. The Italian, French and Spanish peoples do not have nearly as much difficulty as we of a Germanic-language background do.

Even then, Latin was, independent of the liturgy, the lingua franca of European civilisation west of the Danube. Latin was inaccessible to a degree, but so was education for the vast majority of people. If you were educated, you were educated in Latin. It was the language of science (including philosophy and theology), law and medicine. You're also failing to give due credit to immersion. People were attending services in Latin from the moment they were babes. Not just Mass on Sundays, but frequenting the chanting of the Divine Office when possible, etc. The liturgy has a very limited vocabulary and after a lifetime of exposure to it then you're not going to be wholly unfamiliar with it. And to top it all off, they had the Holy Mysteries explained to them.

Tell me. In the traditional Latin Mass, what is being spoken that would somehow convince a person that the Catholic Faith wasn't true? What's present in the Latin Mass that wasn't present in what the people were being taught from the pulpit?

Except for the fact that none of that is true and is merely shoddy history on your part. For example, Christ really was born on December 25th. Care to challenge that?

What do you mean reconcile? The actions of the like of Alexander VI cannot be reconciled with Catholic morality. He was an evil and terrible man, and he wasn't alone in that. Please state a single teaching of the Church that says an office sanctifies the occupier. On the contrary, that is a heresy.

And what, pray tell, is papal infallibility?

Substantiate your claim that Druidism was still existent in the 1850s. And substantiate your claim that witches were being burned by Catholics in the 1890s Ireland.

Catholicism obviously had taken hold prior to the Devotional Revolution. You're totally and completely ignoring the fact that the Church in Ireland suffered severely from the Protestant Reformation and the breaking of the Church in the British Isles. Do you have any understanding why the Devotional Revolution happened? It grew out of a response for something that was missing in the Church's life, not only in Ireland, but in all the Protestant nations. The public liturgical life of the Church could not be exercised under the assault of Protestantism, thus para-liturgical devotionalism was encouraged by the works of the Jesuits. A sad state indeed!

But if you open a history book that details religious life prior to the 16th century you'd realise that religion was the heart and soul of man's life, his entire social life even revolved around the parish or the monastery.

Catholicism didn't take root until the 19th century? Bullshit.

On that point I completely agree.

3. .L.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Griffiths
    Is it the guy draped in his Cena blanket?

You must stay strong and fight Cena's charms. I believe in you. Look him in the eye, say "I can see you" and your mind will be free.

4. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

You are one strange person

5. .L.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Griffiths
    Maybe I'm not real. Maybe this is all in your head and it is you who creates strange people to talk to on forums. Now ask yourself who's really the strange one.

6. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Ok............

7. .L.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Griffiths
    Is it ok though? Is it ever ok?

8. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Maybe it is maybe it isn't

9. .L.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Griffiths
    Or maybe this is all a dream and you need to wake up.

10. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    :56::56::56:

11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    To North. What was the actual date of Jesus birth.
    According to Pope Benedict in the 3rd book of his trilogy, it wasn't on 25th December.

Supposedly he was born when Herod the great was alive but since Herod died 4BC then how is that possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  12. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    Do you have his Birth Certificate :87:

13. stoutroller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    To North

From earlier posts I draw the conclusion that you consider catholicism to be the most logically coherent faith (I think that's how you put it). What puzzles me is why you would think that a religious belief has to be logically coherent to be concidered "true". Once you start debating *'s existence from a logical perspective you've pretty much given away the discussion. (That's when the flying spagetti monster makes its entry).
    Isn't the whole point of a faith to believe without (scientific) evidence? If * wanted to prove that he exists he would have little trouble doing so, given that he is almighty?

My second question has to do with the formation of the catholic church, which took place centuries after Jesus lived. Did they not decide to make the catholic teachings the state religion and incorporated pre-christian concepts to make it easier for people to accept the new faith? What I'm getting at is this: how can you be so convinced that the pope really is chosen by *, acting out his will? How can you be certain that your faith is pure from people with political/financial agendas? If it was designed to work as a state religion it's not necessarily designed according to *'s will.

I mean no offence, I'm genuinely interested. :50:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  14. TuffGong

Fav Celtic Player:
    leslie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    big leslie sticks da ball in da netty
    Best comment i've read on tc :56:

15. AlbaGuBrath

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjällby, Lustig, Brown, Lubo, McStay, Bonner
    The Jesus story is a rip off. Hundreds of older stories with all the exact same details.

Load of pish.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

16. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Where are the lads who stood with me when history was made

17. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song: