1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Barcelona To Be Barred From La Liga If Catalonia Gains Independence

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Miles Platting, Oct 8, 2014.

Discuss Barcelona To Be Barred From La Liga If Catalonia Gains Independence in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Most of there Catalonian players would support it there always at rallys as for the barca fans I think independence would be much more important then how big there football team is

2. LubosMagic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Victor Wanyama
    Sounds very similar to the propaganda bullshit the brits did with scotland! Infact fifa should step in and tell them to * up and leave politics out of football

3. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    No politics is Ok in football as long as fifa agrees with it

4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Just what I was thinking.

5. Sonny Crockett

Fav Celtic Player:
    Alan Stubbs/Jackie Mac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Billy Bhoys
  6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If this did happen it would affect Barcelona's UEFA ranking as they would not be allowed to take Spain's coefficient into consideration in the UEFA rankings.
    They would either take Barcelona's previous 4 years without Spain's coefficient or start them all over again with just this season's stats coming into play.

7. Student12

That'll be nothing when the Russians and ISIS invade, all the businesses crumble and the elderly get culled :87:

8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Thought you were talking about Scotland pre-referendum vote there for a second.:icon_mrgreen:

9. Student12

I would have mentioned the "risk from space" if I was :smiley-laughing002::54:

10. Mr. P Mosh

I don't see anything wrong with it. If they want independence, it's with all the pros and contras. Starting a new country is always a rough awakening.

Barcelona leaving La Liga could bennefict the league competitiveness in the long run though, it could start a new share revenue revolution and I could see foreign inversors trying to make Valencia, Atletico and/or Sevilla fill that spot.

So, while there's a lot of money involved, the rest of the league also could be greedy and think about their own money.

11. Nasser

Exactly. They would only shoot themselves in the foot by kicking out Barca. It's sad that football is so big it's used as propaganda in a vote that is of so much more importance than some sport.

12. Vertie Auld

I think some of you have made the mistake of identifying La Liga as a Spanish league.

A quarter of the sides in the top flight are Basque or Catalan - Barcelona, Espanyol, Eibar, Athletic Club, Real Sociedad

In the Segunda División, you have Barcelona B, Llagostera, Girona, Mallorca and Alavés. Again, (almost) a quarter of the sides are Basque or Catalan.

Of the three sides to have played continuously in the top flight, since its inception, only one is Spanish.

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Technically they are all Spanish the now though as they are all run by Spain in Spain and none have Independence yet.

If Catalunya becomes Independant then surely the Catalan Football Federation will then not be under the Royal Spanish Football Federation as it will become it's own seperate set-up.

14. Glasgow_Bhoy88

It could see Benfica, Porto etc join an Iberian League. Which would be awesome.

15. Glasgow_Bhoy88

Catalans and Basques are types of Spaniards, Spain is a region after all.

And you have forgotten Valencia and Villareal who, despite being outside Catalonia are part of that group, along with the Balearic islands.

16. Glasgow_Bhoy88

Andalusian Aragonese Asturian Balearic Basque Canarian Cantabrian Castilian Catalan Extremaduran Galician Leonese Valencian

There a many types of Spaniards, I doubt you'd find a Catalan that didn't call themselves Spanish. People shouldn't confuse Spanish with Castilian.

17. Vertie Auld

Are you being disingenuous to provoke a reaction? They're holding an independence referendum on the 9th of November. :smiley-laughing002:

Catalonia and the Basque Country are nations within Spain, a political entity. They're not regions of Spain - no more than Scotland and Ireland are regions of the UK.

18. Vertie Auld

If your referring to them as regions apolitically, they're regions of Iberia.

19. Vertie Auld

That wouldn't neccessarily mean an end to Barcelona, Espanyol, Girona, et al. playing in a set up administered by RFEF. England, Wales and Scotland - for all intents and purposes - are independent nations to the football authorities (we have our own federations), yet we have cross-border leagues.

I can't see it benefitting the people who matter. Real Madrid & Barcelona would be utterly dominant in their respective leagues - much as we are (or should be :smiley-laughing002:).

The FCF, presumably, would be outwith the top 12 European associations, so Barcelona would have to go through qualifiers to reach the group stage of the Champions League (unless they'd won it or the Europa League in the previous season), which is utterly ludicrous.

El Clásico's the most high-profile footballing fixture in the world. Do you think they're going to leave that to Champions League meetings?

Too many important people with too much to lose. It's a non-starter.

20. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    I dont see barca leaving la liga they bring too much revenue to the league. But say they did have to create a new league they could invite other teams like valencia elche,mallorca,levante and villareal to join their league as they aint that far from catalonia but i dont see it happening can see catalonia eventualy getting a recognised national side from fifa though if they gain independence and they would run riot.