1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ian Paisley is dead

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Scotia, Sep 12, 2014.

Discuss Ian Paisley is dead in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ThatBhoyLarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings, At the moment Scott Brown, Lustig or Matthews.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of athenry, YNWA,
    Ian Paisley said no surrender, he's definitely surrendered now..

2. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

That's cringeworthy.

3. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

"I don't like the President of the Irish Republic because she is dishonest" - his description of the former President Mary McAleese.

"Mr Adams would have to repent from his evil ways. I am here tonight by the grace of *, a sinner saved by grace" - New York, 1994, when asked if he would shake Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams's hand.

"Talk about dancing at Christmas on the graves of Ulster dead, and to be given the facility so to dance by the British Prime Minister ... Here we saw the godfathers of those who planned the bombing of Downing Street, standing outside there and piously pretending they were engaged in a search for peace" - reacting to the Downing Street meeting of Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams and British Prime Minister Tony Blair in December 1997.

"I denounce you, Antichrist! I refuse you as Christ's enemy and Antichrist with all your false doctrine" - addressing Pope John Paul II on a visit to the European Parliament October 1988.

"This Romish man of sin is now in *! - on the death of Pope John XXIII.

"The IRA's bishop from Crossmaglen" - describing the then head of the Catholic Church in Ireland, Tomás Ó Fiaich.

"Line dancing is as sinful as any other type of dancing, with its sexual gestures and touching. It is an incitement to *."

"No surrender. We will never bend the knee" - a regular cry aimed at those he believed were ready to "betray" Ulster.

"Protect us from the shackles of priestcraft" - late 1970s in an attack on the Catholic Church.

"The breath of Satan is upon us" - his remark when he entered a Belfast press conference in a smoke-filled, whisky-sodden hall in the mid-1970s.

"Let me smell your breath first, son" - Paisley's regular request to reporters, whom he suspected of drinking, before he would allow them to interview him.

"The devil's buttermilk" - his description of alcoholic drinks, chiefly Guinness.

"This is the spark which kindles a fire there could be no putting out" - his criticism of a diversion ordered by the police of a "provocative" Orange Order march.

"Because it would be hard for you to poison them" - when asked why he had chosen boiled eggs for breakfast during a top-level meeting at the Irish Embassy in London.

"No, I wouldn't" - his response to John Hume, an SDLP politician who said that if the word "no" were removed from the English language, Paisley would be speechless.

"I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman" - June 1991.

4. ThatBhoyLarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings, At the moment Scott Brown, Lustig or Matthews.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of athenry, YNWA,
    Sorry pal, I better consult you before I post just incase you find it cringeworthy....

5. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Tbf the one against the pope was funny when I hear it I just think Gandalf fighting with the demon in the mountains

6. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I was going to steal it tbh,wasn't that bad.

Bob is just angry because he has a tiny little microscopic * and his husband left him.

7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Thatcher i had no love or respect for and i have no love or respect for Ian Paisley.

But i will not celebrate his death nor write remarks about him.

8. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Make sure you do.

You are welcome to him,* ride anyway.

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Fair play to you mate.. Taking the moral high ground.. Will never catch on in here!:50:

10. Kiko 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson - Lubo - McStay
    SOME SAY THE DEVIL IS DEAD, THE DEVIL IS DEAD, THE DEVIL IS DEAD!!

11. Boom Stick

The young/middle aged bitter hate filled Ian paisley was not the same as the elderly man,I truly believe he saw the error in his hate filled anti catholic days of old.
    How-his friend ship with Martin mc Guinness,his friend ship with priests,how he spoke of a peaceful Ireland for all.
    The man had the blood of innocent Catholics on his hands,he may not have pulled the trigger,but invited others to do .
    I may have hated you when I was younger,now I just just cannot bring my self to
    Laugh or smile at his passing.
    Put him in the earth and be done with it.

12. Seosamh Máirtín

* that, party!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HqvXP0vigs"]Shameless Frank Party - YouTube[/ame]

13. paulB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People sing.
    Not a tear shall be shed.

14. Heisenberg

:56: :56: :56: :56:

15. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Nice words mate.

16. Nasser

I remember my mum telling me about a time he came storming into her local Catholic church shouting his mouth off, this was about 20 odd years ago but some old lady tripped him up on the way out and the whole congregation laughed at him.

He had blood on his hands with that Shankill speech but then again a fair few of the people of that time- on all sides have blood on their hands. He was such a powerful speaker I did not like what he had to say but he got my attention. He gained some respect when he went into a Catholic church in his later years and preyed with a Catholic family that had lost family member because they were killed in a random attack I think by Rangers fans on old firm day. I don't feel any hate towards him in death I just feel sad for the hate he and others caused during the troubles.

17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Growing up at the height of the troubles, Paisley was on tv a lot. My ma used to say to me there's your uncle Ian. So from around the age 2 to about 7 I though this * was my uncle!:47:

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :56:

19. Doire_Bhoy

:56::56::56:

20. Nasser

:smiley-laughing002: