1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip to Dinamo Zagreb-Celtic (Q&A and help)

Discussion in 'Celtic Supporters Info' started by Agram, Aug 31, 2014.

Discuss Trip to Dinamo Zagreb-Celtic (Q&A and help) in the Celtic Supporters Info area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Agram

Hello from Zagreb.
    Anybody who is interested in going to Zagreb on the Celtic game and has any questions about anything from food,money,hotels,tickets.. whatever, feel free to ask. If you need help with anything just write here or PM me if you dont want to write here. Cheers :50:

2. tat2bhoy

booked up to come to Zagreb
    how welcome will we be there? :50:

3. Scunny8

Just booked this today.

What can we expect to pay for a beer/food around the city? Any places you'd reccommend to stay and places to avoid?

4. Agram

1 Pound is 9.55 Kuna
    beer is around 13 Kuna (1.36 pounds)
    good piza is around 40 Kuna ( 4,18 pounds)
    I would recomend čevapi, less expensive then pizza and a specialty od Balkan cousine. Also if you are hungry but not that hungry go to a bakery and ask for a burek, 10 Kuna. Wont help your abs but it will make you happy.
    Beers are good (Ožujsko, Karlovačko, Velebitsko, Staropramen.. or take a foreign one, they are all made here :p), the ones in the brewerys are even better. (Medvedgrad brewery-tkalciceva sreet, if you can hit that spot it would be good, not many seats). There is a big one, 5 min from the center, if you all went there it would be good, if you go with just few that you get good beer and place but you are not in the "action".

Aks people to help if you need, they are nice to foreigners, also Croats are amazing with english, foreigners always point it out, almost everybody knows it, older ones also, and younger people speek it really good.

Places to be and drink are either Cvjetni square or Tkalčićeva street. That are places where people in Zagreb go, so there is shitload of caffe bars there. Then from there to stadium you can either take a tram 10 min or walk 30. Zagreb is beautiful when its sunny, but you are coming 11.12. so I can assume its going to be cold as *.

Well listen, Zagreb has one of the strongest hooligans groups in Europe and they have fought everybody, groups that come here are all controled by police and protected.
    The only groups ever that were in the city center all day with their flags drinking with our people were Hearts and Scotland. (also Egland becaouse they came in numbers, but they were attacked few times and our people didnt mix with them :D). Hearts fans were provoked somethimes with Vatican flags and songs but still everybody was cool. And then when Scotland was in Zagreb the city was a 2 day party place where all of you that went know that you payed maybe 50% of your beers :D So basicly, from all the clubs in the world Celtic, Scotland and Ireland would be the most greeted ones in Zagreb :)

Hearts in Zagreb [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Q0nvW6sNE[/ame]
    (if any English group tried this it would be a diffrent kind of video :) )

ps: if you are going to carry antifa flags dont take them out in the public, wait for the stadium.

Stadium is one of the most ugly ones in the world, and the money spent in it during the years could have produced a stadium better then Wembley, but it didnt and its a shithole. To me, your tribune (the south one-Jug) is actually not bad, but stadium in general and everything is *. To see what your view will be here is a video from that perspective from Maribor fans (starts on 4:10) [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeODyFcljRA[/ame]

Situation with Zagreb fans is that Mamic controles Dinamo and he is a Adolf Hitler od croatian football. BBB are not allowed on Maximir stadium so they wont be there, but they will be in Scotland. Last game in Europe away, Mamic bought 600 tickets, gave 15 to his payed suporters (North tribune on Maksimir), 585 tickets he threw away, and 70 bbb were stopped by police outside of city and sent home. You can watch video of this weeks Hajduk-Dinamo game on youtube, Dnamo won against eternal enemies in 95 minute, bbb didnt celebrate the goal.. (Imagine how * and destroyed your club has to be for you not to celebrate 95 minute goal against Rangers)

Tkalčićeva ulica (street)
    http://www.playzagreb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/tkalča2.jpg

Cvjetni trg (square)
    http://www.zagrebonline.hr/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cvjetni-trg.jpg

Maksimir stadium
    http://www.zagreb-touristinfo.hr/docs/web/obj_imgs/img2_large/maksimirstadion800.jpg
    (your part is left, right is ex-bbb spot, now Mamic payed fans, down these days BBB but now allowed, and up are the finer gentleman)

btw one more cool video, Bad Blue Boys marching on loyalist turph in Belfast shouting this is Vatican :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAviOSxHiQo

also a video, first time Celtic and Dinamo Zagreb meet (7.2.1967.)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FQCodV4rE[/ame]

TESLA likes this.
  5. CharlieMulgrew21

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chico Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    anybody seen any cheap(ish) deals for zagreb??

6. Doire_Bhoy

Thanks for these tips, Agram. Quite aside from the football they're very useful for anyone planning or thinking of a trip to Zagreb (btw, I like your username).

Completely agree that čevapi are highly recommended! One of my favourite foods whenever I can get hold of them.

I also agree about the hospitality of the Croats and their English skills. Always have a great time whenever I meet any Croats here or abroad, and they love a drink just like we do. Would love to be able to try some Croatian beer.

Yes - they're not very bright, heading to a Catholic country and being offended at it being Catholic.

Why is this?

(I won't lie here: I know Croatia's history reasonably well, and I know the leanings of some of its hooligans, but I just want confirmation from yourself.)

7. Agram

Then you know what Agram means? :)

Normal people really wouldnt care. Lot of Croats are due to historical events today Croatian nationalists but also lot of people are left, apolitical etc. Zagreb is politicly in hands od left wing party, it has its gay pride and everything and for Croatian standards it is a liberal city.
    Bad Blue Boys on ther other hands are far right group. Also mix of all people, left-right, however, most of them, and the group in general is far right. Ustashe movement and all that is part of their group, allways has been.

Again I will say, there is no threat for you in Zg. Croats have a soft spot for few European nations and you are in that category for sure.

8. Doire_Bhoy

Yes - it was the old Austro-Hungarian name of the city, was it not?

Apropos of nothing, I'd be quite interested in Zagreb dialect btw.

This was my understanding, hence my question. Despite some Croats being right-wing and many of its football supporters being proudly right-wing, I would have imagined that there were plenty of left-wing Croats, particularly in Zagreb, who wouldn't have any difficulty with anti-fascist paraphernalia.

Good to hear. Hvala lijepa!

9. Agram

Yeah, you have great knowlege about Croatia :)
    By dialect you mean from where is it influenced? Other languages and that?
    German, german, german! Purgeri (citizens of Zagreb that have line od few generations born iz Zagreb) mostly have German last names, it was the language used in zagreb and then it mixed with croatian so a lot of words are german. Also turkish words since they were present here during history. (In dalmatia Italian words are as widly spread as German in Zagreb)

Yes, Zagreb is a liberal city for Croatian standards. Its not that hard to explain, Zagreb, Istria and Northern Croatia are politicly left, Lika, Dalmatia, Slavonia are right.

Football fans far right.

I am interested, how much does the ticket cost for you that booked?

Also if you need any help not only here on forum before trip, but once you come here just ask. :50:

Attached Files:

10. Tifosi Celtic

Looking forward to Zagreb.

Meet many BBB over the years at Celtic away games.

Many visit Glasgow? Understand situation with Mamic, blacklist and how BBB are stopped by police at the border.

I remember in 97 game against, when it was Croatia Zagreb . Had a good night with many then. Hope to see you in Glasgow.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  11. Doire_Bhoy

Thank you! No, by dialect I meant kajkavski. I'm quite interested in kajkavski and čakavski. I don't speak Croatian but I am interested in them on a linguistic level. I understand that the Zagreb dialect is now slightly more like standard Croatian (i.e. štokavski), but that older people in the city speak a more kajkavski sort of dialect at least.

Why are the fans far-right when Zagreb, Istria, etc are left-leaning?

Unfortunately I'm not heading over for this match, but both myself and my missus would very much like to head to Croatia at some point. I like your Celtic t-shirt! :50:

12. Agram

Why are fans right-wing? Its hard to know, or explain. I would say that becaouse in yugoslavia it wasnt allowed to show any signs of nationalism or patriotism. People who would do things like that, through songs, flags, magazines where arested and jailed, or murdered if their "offence" was bigger. With time, as 90-s were coming closer and 80-s ending the nationalism was growing but still it wasnt allowed to show it. And it became clear that the stadium is the place where you can do that. All groups used games as way to speek for Croatian people and the urge for independence. War came, * happened, many ultras went to war, many didnt came back. Nationalism stayed strong till today.

Kajkavski is used in North and Zagreb by older people. Young people in ZG use štokavski with elements of kajkavski. Its a mix, but me and 99% od my generation (93.) would not understand half things said in proper original kajkavski talk. Middle aged people in Zagreb use mostly Štokavski ("proper", official one). And the 3 one is čakavski used on Coast and all Dalmatia. Its used in italian way, fast and loud. (not popular here in ZG :D )

And as far as bbb numbers in Glasgow, hard to say. Situation is really really bad. For example there was game few months ago against Rijeka. Police came in bbb part of stadium i full force. Surounded them, held them after game. Everybody who didnt have ticket to sector of stadium they were held in was arrested. Yesterday they got letter from court. Police is demanding that court gives them JAIL sentance, 1 year ban from Dinamo and national team games, and obligation to check to police every time Dinamo plays (including cup games on wednesday 13:00, when people have to tell their boss that they have to go to police for 2 hours to check in). Many positive things among bbb happeing these days, own futsal club starting these days, so fight continues. 10 years ago there would be min 3000 in Glasgow, 5 years ago min 1500, now unfortunatelly if they even pass the border its good.

13. Doire_Bhoy

Yes, this is my understanding. You also see strong right-wings in all the former communist countries (practically every Pole I have ever met considers themselves to be proudly right-wing). Whereas in the west being against the system meant being left-wing, in the east being against the system led to people adopting right-wing causes. Seems logical enough to me.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Have you heard the dialect of Zagorje much? It was Tito's dialect, and I understand it's a bit of a mixed Croat-Slovene dialect. (Slovene is, of course, čakavski.) A bit outside Zagreb obviously!

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Im going not booked yet but probably will in the next couple of days.

15. Agram

Yeah sure, Zagorje is close to Zagreb. Titos home town is 48km from Zagreb. And they speek hardcore version on kajkavski :D Cant understand them anything.
    Slovene? I was in a club on sea and I was able to comunicate on croatian with a guy from Chezch republic, and wasnt able with a girl from Slovenia. Similar tu Zagorski, they sound alike, and hard to understand to me. On ther other hand they (Slovenes) mostly understand us. Dont know why and how but :)

Where does all this knowlege of yours about Croatia come from? :)

16. Doire_Bhoy

That sounds like Danes trying to understand Norwegian (Norwegian speakers understand Danish, but Danes don't understand Norwegian for some reason). :smiley-laughing002:

There's no special reason: I'm interested in European history, most places in Europe and most European languages. I've always had a soft spot for the former Yugoslavia. I don't really know why. Just always found the area fascinating.

As I said, myself and my missus hope to get a trip to Croatia at some point. I'd be most interested in Istria (to see where the Slavic world meets the Italian world), Zagreb, Zagorje and Dalmatia. Basically all of Croatia! :icon_mrgreen:

17. Agram

18. Agram

Nice to hear, ex-yu countries are usually not really popular in Europe :)

19. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    One recurring thing I hear all the time in Eastern Europe and particularly in Russia is the fear of their country in their words "turning into a ghetto like London"

The folk their simply don't want immigration or their culture and cities being eroded in the same way you see in particular in London, folk that have been to London seem to speak about nothing else other than the demographics of the population.

Whether that stance is right or wrong is an entirely different question but that is the main reason they adopt right wing stances and don't subscribe to the whole "multicultural project"

For the record Id say Western Ukraine is by far the most blatantly racist part of the whole of Europe, particularly the City Lviv.

Some of the liberal bedwetters who scream "racist" at everything they see should spend a week there to learn the true definition of the word.

20. Doire_Bhoy

You were doing so well until:

Now you just sound like Richard Littlejohn.

It's PC gone mad, elf an' safety nonsense, I know.