1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Park - Does He Carry Much Of The Blame?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Dáibhí, Aug 31, 2014.

Discuss John Park - Does He Carry Much Of The Blame? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    At least we asked, haha.

But take the finnbogason saga.
    Proved it for two years + in Holland and we got quoted at 5.5million and we can assume demands of 20-30k?
    We reject that and instead spend wages and money on derk, pukki and balde all of which fail at probably a higher cost, in an attempt to make money off them.
    Guys not set the world on fire in la liga, but he has been used as a sub mostly and that's hindsight for us.
    Just signed for olympiacos on loan.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    True but it's not alwaysa guarentee, if we wanted Miku straight out it was £11m.

He proved he was a good player against Barca, which we need but he was also a * player against the likes of Dundee United and St Mirren - which we don't.

Very difficult position to be in, European football is so much different from our bread and butter. It's not always compatible.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed, we're in a completely unique position in European football; way ahead of our all rivals domestically but miles behind - and getting further - top European clubs.

It all boils down to ambition. If the board are happy keeping the club on an even keel financially with an unadventurous signing policy, winning honours domestically but never progressing on a wider scale then that is the reason attendances are declining.

We need a radical shake-up.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Miku I meant £7m btw. Figures mixed up!

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Who says he spotted every player we have signed? I guarantee he hasn't been the one who said "aye sign pukki, balde, brozek, miku" etc etc.

He puts the name forward. The manager watches them. The manager also picks out players. We have other scouts. So no, John Park doesn't take the blame any more than the rest of the staff.

6. Dáibhí

My version of your chain of events would go something like this;

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That would happen in some cases but we had one of our scouts out the other day saying we mainly look for the up to £2.5m market.

8. Dáibhí

I don't think that's quite how it works mate if we're honest. You don't simply offer the parent club money, meet the players wage demands and bingo, he signs.

There's a lot more to it than that.

£5.5 million was the lowest that Heerenveen were willing to accept at one point, but once interest from clubs such as Cardiff, Everton, Roma, Real Sociedad and Villarreal was made known the asking price rose to around £8.25 million.

When clubs from the EPL and La Liga got involved we were never in the running, unfortunately.

Yeah, and mainly we do, but if a player who meets our criteria is available we'll likely try to sign him, as I said.

Truth is, virtually every player worth £5 million or more who is interested in moving to the UK will be looking to England first, especially with the wages they can offer.

We're fighting a losing battle, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He signed for 5.6million to sociedad.
    We never offered the 5.5 million that was quoted.
    For whatever reason, we decided that wasn't worth it.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    True, I think if that ever entered the equation it would be an agent daying X is interested in your club, he's available for £5m. Are you interested? Kinda way.

11. idlewildered

Nonsense. Every club in the world gets as much dross as fantastic players. We are doing fine on that front.

12. Dáibhí

He signed for £5.5 million, rising to £7.2 million if certain criteria was met.

Truth is, he was never coming to us. You don't think our club knew of the other sides looking at him? Knew that he was favouring a move to La Liga?

Again, it's not as simple as meeting the asking price of the parent club and a set wage demand. This isn't the NHL where players aren't given any options.

Once a club meets the asking price they are free to talk to the player, but when you know that the player isn't interested you simply move on, especially when dealing with a limited time frame such as the transfer window.

The club also has staff who are in contact with the players agent as well though, and they'll know what the chances are. In this case our chances were pretty much zero.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wasn't specifically talking about that case but I agree.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As much as we all will have different views and opinions on matters relating to the club, the amount of failures nd wasted money iver the last 5-10 years is shocking. And with an overall decline of quality over the years and failure to reach the group stage of champions league two years running, id say we are not doing just fine.

We need to cut out the level of dross and sign better players. Many ways and opinions of doing that mind you.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We've also had a very highly irregular rate at signing top rate players, for the market we operate in it's very much a positive.

16. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    We have a quote from the horses mouth saying that 2.5 is our limit. All evidence backs this up. I dont see the argument. Maybe our recent failures will see us sign men who will break this figure, but again his lordship is stubborn and never bends when negotiating.

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Just once I would like to see us plan ahead, be proactive.

If you trust the manager, give him some funds right now, to start preparing for next season.

Loans are no good because they all * off at the end of the season leaving us to rebuild again in about 4 weeks.

18. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    You are dead right dealer. Our strategy should be to go into the qualifiers having done the maximum to ensure qualification. No selling first team players until our fate is decided. No matter what. Never go in in transition, always have a settled side.

We need 2 CBs and a LB at a minimum. All good enough to go straight into the first 11. Then in January we tinker further so that the team we finish the season with is the team that will play next year.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We've saw it once mate.

Martin O'Neill :54:

20. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's a large reply so will try and go point to point.

The laziness thing - I think Ciftci and Allan have both been lazy signings in respect, we could have looked elsewhere with those funds. Seems like we are turning into a team built around the theory that if they're good enough for the SPL, they're good enough for us. Which imo isn't the case. We should only be looking at players who are absolutely excelling in the league, and look capable of playing at a higher level.

Your point on players not settling when moving here from abroad - Every signing is a risk. We've signed plenty of flops who were performing at a decent level in this country.

Geography - The big German teams will be signing the cream of the crop from Poland, but there will be plenty players in countries like this in there 20's who haven't been picked up, players that are good enough for our level but over looked by your Bayerns, Dortmunds etc.

You may think our transfer policy is fine. I completely disagree.

We have brought in a centre half, who at 24 has played around 30 matches in his career. A right back, only 19 who had to be thrown into the lions den in the biggest game of our season. We played a guy at left back, who failed at Wolves. Stuart Armstrong is decent enough but not in my opinion good enough to play on the wing in Europe. Is GMS good enough ? I don't know if he was injured or RD doesn't fancy him against better opposition. Which means we don't have a natural left winger good enough for this level. And lastly our strike force consists of a guy deemed surplus to requirements at Wolves and a screwball who has failed to do anything of note since signing for us... serving an 8 game(?) domestic ban for biting someone.