1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CharlieMulgrini, Aug 7, 2014.

Discuss Expectations in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CharlieMulgrini

I think most of the reaction to the huge 6-1 defeat to Legia Warsaw needs to be held in check. Expectations for this current Celtic side, while we have a new manager just a few months into the job and who has bought no-one, are very, very low. Our Champions league qualifiers masked this.

Really, if we are lucky enough to even play European Football this season via the Europa League, I don't think the squad is good enough for this without investment.

So expecations for me are clear: let Ronny do his work, and let him build his team. If that fails, he buys duds and we go nowhwere, sure: boot him. Till he's been given the time, let's concentrate on winning some games of football in Scotland before we want European football.

I will not be sad if we do not have a single game in Europe beyond the playoffs which i have no doubt we won't negotiate. European football is for sides who can compete at this level, not make up the numbers.

We all need to calm down and realise we are a team in transition. All this talk lately of Davie Moyes and Malkay Mackay in the crowd at Murrayfield, and Ronny being under pressure is just typical nonsense. Time is all we need.

2. NotTheMessiah

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Agreed, I'll have a season (or even two) of not getting past qualifiers IF that allows Ronny to fully assess the squad and bring in players he wants.

I just hope the board give him control over transfers.

3. jamesfr

All I care about is winning the league and building a decent team for the future

4. ÉireBhoy93

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes
    I am backing Ronny 100%, but to be honest all I expect this team to do is win the league, I'll be pleasantly suprised if we make it to Europe and win a cup with our current squad.

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

* mass hysteria in here

the guys been brought in to do a job and we all and i mean we all knew it was gonna be a tough job

once we're a few months down the line into the season we'll know where we are and where we're going

but all this negativity is just disappointment that we didn't achieve champions league football

legia were a decent side and deserved to go through, hammer me for that if you want

neil lennon left because he knew what was coming

delia has fired a shot over the bows of the board saying he's gonna need help to build a team here that is good enough

now we can hope that he gets the support from the board and fans to do the job

i think Ronnie did over estimate what the squad were capable of and he did maybe try to change the way we played 1st leg too early but we aren't a great side

the way we played last night was normal for us last season loads of possession side to side, then side to side again this is because we lack ability in the midfield and attacking third

we have been crying out for creative players for ages now mcgeady's, nakamuras, lubo's

anyway the manager needs some time

6. Pacific Ocean Blue

How dare we ever criticise Celtic...

7. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    I don't think it can be called crass overreaction when we have just been eliminated in CL qualifiers after having been * drubbed home and away by an average Polish side. In addition, are there really those among us who can say Deila is in no way to blame? Of course he is, and he accepts that - as such,criticism is inevitable, and that is why it has been forthcoming.