1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Degrees that should be banned

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Jul 17, 2014.

Discuss Degrees that should be banned in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

When will i see you again ?

2. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Degrees that pishes oot Greggs pies should be banned.

3. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    it happens because there is no syllabus and some unis are tougher to achieve higher grades in than others. For example one of my mates got a first in economics at UWE but its such a * uni and * easy to get through his degree was almost worthless to begin with before he got some work experience, whereas other mates got 2:1 in the same subject at better unis and walked in to jobs because their degree was harder to attain.

4. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

Yeah, getting a hobby degree is idiotic. My brother in law has a hobby degree (history) and guess where he works? Job Centre and has been there for years.

5. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Aye I know that and to an extent I kind of agree. Some universities have really poorly ran courses and some are so easy. UWS is bad for it.

The reason why I think its a bit bizarre though is that its easier (grade wise) to get into Edinburgh uni than Glasgow or Strathclyde and yet its far more prestigious and a degree is worth more from there.

6. The Celtic Way

anything under zero its to cold

7. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    I dont think courses should be banned but the students shouldn't get government funding that you normally get for courses like business or enginerring people who when finished the course will go out and get a job and put something back into the system , like what the * is an artist going to put back into the system

8. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    To be fair you can get a good job with history, you just have to try harder, far too often people think they can just get a degree and bounce into a job.

Some people just are not mega employable either. But a good 2:1 or 1st history degree and if you try hard enough and are presentable, you can get on a great graduate programme.

9. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just quick off topic for a sec, sorry. What happened to Stokes4/Soccer? Was he banned again? :54:

10. C2911

The course content differs a lot of the time as well based on which university you attend. The bigger companies have a good idea of what's covered in each university and what they're getting in a graduate.

11. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    History and basically all the other sort of "social" subjects are probably my absolute strongest subjects. But I can't see myself getting a decent job with a degree like that.

12. C2911

Off topic, but I was trying to get a summer internship with Shell a couple of years back (was studying Geology/Geoscience at the time), didn't hear anything back from them, and found out from a friend later in the summer that their history student mate got in without any knowledge of the field because his dad worked there.

* me off :smiley-laughing002:

13. GMS

* right.

I'm an Engineer and I've spoke to people from Inverness to Cornwall and it it still on the up.

FYI school leavers w/o degrees and Engineeing/Tech passion get into:

Welding
    Fabrication
    Fitting
    Safety
    Machining
    Autocad (Draughting)
    Gas Fitting
    Plumbing
    Lecky Fitting
    Lecky Controls (PLCs and all that carry-on)

Massive demand for the above from Manchester to Aberdeen.

Get skilled and get in work lads :50:

14. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    * that. I'd be raging. Thats still common - not what you know but who you know.

Unfortunately most of us don't know anybody important. :54::smiley-laughing002:

You'll get a job though, your best bet though would be to look in Aberdeen and might mean re-locating.

15. cheesepoo

:smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002:

16. C2911

I've got a job doing Geo-environmental stuff in Glasgow. I don't feel like I'm learning much. I'm out on a building site for 6 weeks 'supervising' guys putting clay platforms down to pile and build on. At the moment I'm doing nothing but watching a bunch of other guys work. Any experience looks decent on the CV though I guess.

My mum and dad are up in Aberdeen and I originally got a job offshore as a logging geologist with Baker Hughes, but got laid off before I even started training. After waiting around for two months (without earning) to hear when they would send me away. Got a one line email from Dubai thanking me for my interest and that was it.

The dream job would be mining or exploration in Greenland or something. The year I graduated the industry just fell to pieces though. I'm hoping it recovers soon as that's what I wanted to do when I started uni and I don't want to do what I'm doing now for the rest of my life.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  17. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Last year I got a small summer job in shell i put in my cv and did an interview I thought it was kind of strange just for cleaning the canteeen anyways I got the summer job I was actually delighted to get it then my dad told me that I only got it because he works there
    I know its not same but you know what i mean

18. STLbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stiliyan Petrov, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I've always thought Political Science should be done away with. I'm a technocrat, and I think that if someone's background is in being a politician, then they're not fit to make decisions on anything because they're not actually an authority on anything.

Let economists run economy stuff, let architects and civil engineers run city planning, and let doctors run healthcare. Don't let someone whose only knowledge is "what the sections of government are" and "how to run an election campaign" be in charge of anything.

19. im_ant

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Not really, school and uni are totally different. It doesn't really matter what school you went to, an A in English from one school is the same as an A in English from another school, but a 2:1 from Edinburgh University is 10x better than a 2:1 from "University" of West of Scotland.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Sports Science.

Loads of my mates have gone off to do it , basically all they will end up doing is teaching PE which is fine but some of them ain't even interested in teaching.

I noticed someone saying History is a pointless degree but I have read a few times that it is one that employers look for. How accurate that is I'm not sure.

I'm going to Glasgow Cal in September to study Environmental Management. I was going to do economics at Stirling but Cali is the only uni in Scotland that offers the course I am doing. Something a bit different and it could still hopefully get me into oil industry/water treatment/renewable jobs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014